Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Mini-14 Discussion

I'm not certain about how to tell the difference between the latest and the very latest just by looking across the room, but when they redesigned them several years ago the front sight went from a streamlined blade to something looking somewhat like a sight found on a M1 Carbine with protective ears. Also, the newest version has a thin rubber butt pad. You can check out the various models at www.ruger.com and you can also look up date of manufacturer by serial number at that same website.

The current minis have a winged front sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 09-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Why, oh WHY did I read this thread? I had one that I bought at an estate auction, a stainless 181. Liked it well enough, but sold it for a stupifying profit during the first Obama panic. Now I'm going to relive my seller's remorse for the next week.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Why, oh WHY did I read this thread? I had one that I bought at an estate auction, a stainless 181. Liked it well enough, but sold it for a stupifying profit during the first Obama panic. Now I'm going to relive my seller's remorse for the next week.
    Over the course of the last 40 years or so I’ve owned more than a half dozen Mini’s and have managed to hang on to 3.

This one was purchased from a local pawn shop during the zenith of the “Trump Slump” (when you couldn’t give an AR 15 away) for the princely sum of $350.00 OTD:

183 Series with wood hand guard

It’s reasonably accurate and I can usually keep most rounds on that 6” popper at 100 yards offhand (if I do my part).

I’ve had this one for much longer and it cost me waaaay more than the 183 series pictured above:
    191 series AC556 with 13” barrel

Although not all that accurate, it’s truly a hell raiser and a favorite amongst shooters when I take it the range:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITsnYdbhtZ4

I also have a late model Mini 30 (Ruger calls it their Mini 30 Tactical)

Not a tack driver, but I find it accurate enough (for the type of shooting I do) with Russian steel cased ammo that abounds (abounded?) on the market.

The Mini 30 came to me via CDNN several years ago when they were blowing them out for less than $700.

In fact I believe shipped with FFL fees it was a flat 700 bucks to my door.

As I said, the Mini 30 is a neat gun, reasonably accurate and fun to shoot but it’s gonna need an adjustable gas block (or a smaller gas bushing) to slow down that cycling of the action as it has beat a few lower end scopes to pieces.

Part of my grief is that back then I didn't know what Outpost just told us about them. Now I know, but it does me no good.
    Cognitive Dissident

Nice accumulation, ATCDoktor. What category does that stainless shorty fall under? Is it considered a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Hey brother, we all have those thoughts about the ones we let get away for more than we paid for them. I have several heart breaking sales to my credit. You are in good company.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

OK guys here's the serial # 's explained.

Prefix of 180,181 up to 19X is old style gun with Pencil Barrel.

Prefix of 580 starts in 2005, these are the new style guns with the heavier barrel.

584 is the current prefix. If possible you should always get the newest gun you can find.

All of the 580 and above series guns are 2 MOA guns out of the box with few exceptions. With an adjustable gas block or smaller gas bushing most will drop down to MOA with select loads.

Many don't believe this and many also don't know what they are talking about.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I am surprised ( but dont care) that Ruger isn't offering them in .350 Legend. All this talk is making me want a new one, too. Preferably in 6.8spc, .300 BO, or 7.62x39. I've nothing against the 5.56 but I prefer more bullet for a semiauto gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Nice accumulation, ATCDoktor. What category does that stainless shorty fall under? Is it considered a pistol?
    The short stainless model is a Ruger Model AC556 Factory produced machinegun.

Here’s a pic with the stock extended:
    Last edited by ATCDoktor; 09-03-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Ooooooh! One of them. Nice looking piece, and no doubt of great utility should the stuff hit the fan. Me, I'm looking for a medium range battle rifle. Don't like to let them get that close. (But--I like it!)

I got it! Stainless Mini-Thirty. The previous owner had it set up for deer hunting in MI, and it was probably ideal for his purposes. However, for mine it will require some retro alterations. He must be a big guy and wanted to extend the length of pull by addition of the recoil pad. I'm a smaller edition, and it makes it much too awkward for me, especially if wearing a heavy coat. So, that is the first thing to go, and I've ordered a replacement stainless steel butt plate from GPC. Comes with screws for about $35. Having shot lots of SKS rifles and a few AK rifles, I've never found the recoil of the 7.62x39mm to be objectionable. Next, again for my purposes, it is over scoped. The scope is large and adds weight, and as presently mounted I can't "get the picture". Perhaps when the recoil pad is gone and the L.O.P. shortened I might be able to use it, but I think I'll want it off anyway and use the factory folding peep sight which is still present. Possibly I'll replace that with another after market peep if I can find something I like, but maybe not depending on how it shoots. I'll leave my options open for a much more compact low powered scope or red dot-- but think I'll be happy with a good peep sight. Forward to the muzzle, I really like the flash suppressor and original style sight, and they'll be staying. I have 5-20 rd. factory mags back ordered from Midway. They'll be blue. I don't see any stainless mags on the market right now. Add a sling, probably black nylon, and I should have what I wanted. I'll post some final photos when I'm done tinkering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006576.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	268175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006577.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	268176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006578.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	268177 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006579.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	268178

Boolit Grand Master
    I can understand a big scope on a bolt action or single shot rifle, but not on something like this where the maximum effective range is ~200 yards.

I think it was Jack O'Connor who said that for big game hunting you needed 1X for every hundred yards. The older I get, the more sense that makes to me.

For a really cheap nylon sling, I've been getting a six foot roll of 1" black webbing and plastic buckles from the fabric/craft section at Walmart. If I could find the webbing in larger rolls it would be even cheaper.

Robert

Interesting perspective on power vs. distance. I've never visited Michigan, but I think most of the deer hunting is in forested land, and some folks use these scopes like binoculars and peer about in the forest hoping to find Bambi lying behind a log; or from a tree stand waiting to see if he's coming from a distance. I have several scoped rifles, but they're all bolt actions, and I rarely chose one over open sights. Although plagued by some infirmities of advancing age, poor eyesight isn't one of them, having had double cataract surgery a few years ago.

And, some folks sort of deride O'Connor and Keith, but they had a lot of practical knowledge learned the hard way.

Great idea about the source for slings.

DG

Boolit Master

Craig, your mini-30 is what I really wanted. I like your concept of what a mini should look like. Too many people try to hang everything on them. Take a look at Accuracy Systems Accu-Strut. It helped mine or at least I believe it did.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Ex-Michigander here - A huge portion of deer hunting in Michigan is done from tree stands. Shots are never "across-the-beanfield" like down South or 400 yards like out West. A 100-yard gun is plenty. Heck, in most of the LP it's shotgun-only, and they do get their deer. The Mini-30 with a 1x red dot would do fine. (I met one guy up there who killed a doe from his stand with a .32 S&W revolver, range 25 feet.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Craig, your mini-30 is what I really wanted. I like your concept of what a mini should look like. Too many people try to hang everything on them. Take a look at Accuracy Systems Accu-Strut. It helped mine or at least I believe it did.
    Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post

And, some folks sort of deride O'Connor and Keith, but they had a lot of practical knowledge learned the hard way.

DG
    I have to wonder how much, if any, their opinions would have shifted if they had all the new, quality optics and rifles/cartridges that have been made available the last 10-15 years?

Boolit Buddy
    DG, you might consider the M1 Carbine rear sight from Accuracy Systems. I have them on my Mini 14 and Mini 30. Sturdy, Easily adjustable and out of the way enough to mount a scope if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have to wonder how much, if any, their opinions would have shifted if they had all the new, quality optics and rifles/cartridges that have been made available the last 10-15 years?
    They might have come to different conclusions, but that's something we really can't know. They were kind of on the cutting edge for their time. They still make for entertaining reading. Even Jeff Cooper might think differently with today's equipment and shooting techniques. His "conditions" of pistol readiness still apply to the 1911, but not so much to things like Glocks. (Man--I'm in trouble now with some folks for calling Glocks "things"....!). His observations/teachings on mindset are still important. But, I agree with you that technology has made some of their teaching obsolete.

DG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast