RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small pistol vs small rifle primers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Thanks for helping me put the brakes on my stupidity. I'll refrain from the sp primer in my 223. Your pups (and my gonads) are safe.
    My pup thanks you.
    If you add your location to your profile you might just find someone local that’s willing to help you find some SRPs.

The Great Plains North of the Platte River
    Just my .02 here but I use srp's in several pistol loads-not just for the heck of it but because of the EXTREME shortage of spp's in my area. I lucked out and was able to buy 5,000 srp's. I treated them as if I was working up brand new loads. Started low and GRADUALLY worked up watching closely for any sign of high pressure. I've gotten along fine but then, I don't load too hot as a general rule anyway. Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been told by people I trust that using rifle primers in pistol rounds is OK as long as (1) you adjust your load to account for the greater amount of priming compound and (2) your gun has sufficient ignition force to dent the heavier cups. So it might be iffy for something striker fired but probably not an issue for something with a long heavy hammer fall like a Blackhawk.

I’m interested in knowing if it’s possible to use pistol primers in low pressure rifle rounds, specifically for subsonic 300 Blackout in an AR. I’m in no hurry to try this experiment and unless I run out of SRP I probably never will.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I would only be concerned with using rifle primers in pistol ammunition if I were using maximum loads. As far as using pistol primers in rifles, my concern would be more about whether my rifles firing pin would pierce the softer pistol primer cup. The more robust rifle mechanism or a pin with a worn/damaged tip would be my main concern.
    R.D.M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12