Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lever action home defense

Boolit Master

lever action home defense

Boolit Buddy
    Great story ... thanks for sharing. Couldn’t imagine going through that.

Boolit Buddy

A bear breaking into your home, yikes! But he had to empty and reload his 45 Long Colt lever. Personally, I would have grabbed my Winchester 94 in 30 WCF with 170’s.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Mr bone smasher 45-70 for me
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

The gun for the job is what you have at the time. 45 Colt loaded with a 300 grain bullet and 18 grs of H110 will shoot through anything on this continent. Wrong rifle not wrong cartridge, Uberti Yellow Boy not the best of the 45 Colt chambered lever guns, Winchester 92 gets the nod for bear killing in 45 Colt in a lever gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    I find it funny that they are extolling the virtues of a gun you need to empty to kill a smallish bear.
    I hate to think some idiot is now going to go 45 Long Colt Hmm BEAR KILLER!!!
    I is gonna git me a barr wid ma trustee foedi fiive colt.

I certainly understand that the 45 Long colt in the right gun and the right load and used properly can be an awesome combination. Not to far behind some 45-70 loads.
    But that is not the standard configuration encountered in my neck of the woods.

Im not looking to get into which gun is better for bear debate we got enough of those here but im gonna put some facts out there. first 45 colt is very capable of killing a bear with 1 shot with some steady hands not many can stay calm in a encounter like this. Knew a feller here who dropped a big sow with a bh in .45 coming at him at about 15 yards smacked her between the eyes with it. S
    But i still dont consider it a perfect bear round because of lack of penetration which leads to my next rant a hot 45 colt is nowhere close to a bp 45-70 round it just leave it in the dust. My bfr can send a 550 grain chunk of lead lengthwise thru a bear then proceed to take another behind it.

Boolit Grand Master
    "As a cowboy-action shooter, Williams is well versed in shooting the venerable Uberti Yellowboy"

First thought that comes to mind...was he using the typical reduced loads most CAS shooters use for competition or full power loads?

I live in bear country. A 300 lb'er that started raiding my dumpster this spring and that is the first time in 7 years of living here that a bear has become a problem. This year, we leave the bedroom windows closed during the evening and a Mossberg 500 propped up by the bedroom door with a Glock on the nightstand.

Any gun/load is better than nothing...but if I think a bear is going to be involved a 12 ga makes a lot more sense IMHO.
    Don Verna

Don: good to see that the 12 ga is your Bear Gun of choice. It is the choice of the Polar Bear Guides in Churchill Manitoba by the Hudson Bay and there must be a reason why.

Oh, could it be the 500 gr .73 cal. Slug at 1500 fps? Brenneke makes some serious Slug Loads most of which will knock down anything that walks.

Nothing lives thru a slug!

After 5 shotgun classes at Front Sight I have developed a considerable amount of Respect for the Tactical Shotgun.

With Slugs the shear Knockdown Power is well beyond all but the largest caliber rifles that most people couldn't shoot well if they tried anyway.

Then there's that Buckshot option which is good for lots of things, or Rubber Boolits if you just want to make an impression on said dumpster diver.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    have never seen a bear but on other animals, large boars, camels( which can run 2000lbs) and scrub bulls here I have not found slugs to be the hammer of thor. They penetrate and kill, but the bigger stuff runs around with a hole in them for a little too long. I find anything from 338 and up better killers than slugs, or even a fast 30cal with 200 grain bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceA View Post
    I find it funny that they are extolling the virtues of a gun you need to empty to kill a smallish bear.
    I hate to think some idiot is now going to go 45 Long Colt Hmm BEAR KILLER!!!
    I is gonna git me a barr wid ma trustee foedi fiive colt.

I certainly understand that the 45 Long colt in the right gun and the right load and used properly can be an awesome combination. Not to far behind some 45-70 loads.
    But that is not the standard configuration encountered in my neck of the woods.
    Lawrence - a reality check - a bear (or a big poisonous snake) in your bedroom - you just keep drillin him till there is absolutely NO chance of movement - then you reload and give him a few more for good measure - then you sit down on the bed and keep him covered while the jelly legs goes away - it you dont know what I am talkin about - ya aint been there............................................. (pinching a famous politicians recent remark there) .

Banned
    Indian Joe being an Aussie you would open fire in a bedroom over a poisonous snake Mate I think 90% of the snakes dispatched here were probably done so with a shovel, large stick, or whatever else was handy.

Boolit Master

I'll bet he was shootin some kind of a reduced load. The good thing is he is probably a high speed lever worker. He may have shot all of those rounds in a record time. Meanwhile he won that match and I'm glad..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Indian Joe being an Aussie you would open fire in a bedroom over a poisonous snake Mate I think 90% of the snakes dispatched here were probably done so with a shovel, large stick, or whatever else was handy.
    Yep ! Got a thing about snakes mate - secret weapon is a nice little 1866uberti 22 -full up with ratshot just dings the paint a bit inside - tried it with a shovel one time out in the bush - acted a bit slow - big ole red belly reared over and sunk his fangs into the shovel handle about two inches from my hand - a bear in the bedroom would be somethin else I reckon

I agree that it’s a good chance it was loaded with reduced velocity cowboy loads. Including a lighter bullet. Standard 45 colt 250 grain with 850 FPS out of a revolver and 1050 out of a rifle could be a one shot kill with proper shot placement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Yep ! Got a thing about snakes mate - secret weapon is a nice little 1866uberti 22 -full up with ratshot just dings the paint a bit inside - tried it with a shovel one time out in the bush - acted a bit slow - big ole red belly reared over and sunk his fangs into the shovel handle about two inches from my hand - a bear in the bedroom would be somethin else I reckon
    just as long as the events are nothing recent, snakes have been protected here since 1992.

just as long as the events are nothing recent, snakes have been protected here since 1992.
    really, why?
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

The ausie govt has been becoming more commie here lately. I dont know how there wildlife fares as far as endangerd goes but they do have alot of unique species there not found anywhere else

Boolit Master
    I remember reading a story about a woman who saved her life by using a Ravin 25 auto to stop a Grizzly eating her, from what I remember she and her husband were bush walking when the bear attacked them, she shot her husband in the knee which gave her time to escape while bear ate him. I am sure most have heard this before but I could not resist. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I never knew that !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast