Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ode to the S&W Model 10/

Boolit Buddy

Ode to the S&W Model 10/

As I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the virtues of practically and simplicity. When it comes to handguns,
    the Smith & Wesson Military & Police (a.k.a. Model 10) .38 Special revolver represents the best of the breed. It was "the" police arm for the first half of the 20th century, for a reason. The little M&P has no frills - it is just straightforward, no nonsense, utterly reliable, sturdy workhorse.

Safe, lightweight, and compact, it requires no particular attention, yet is always ready. Most situations where a handgun is helpful arise in a setting of great psychological distress. One of the revolver's virtues is that you don't have to remember anything - just draw, point, and shoot. Massive power is not required - any hit will stop the music, and buy you enough time for a decisive coup de grace. Pray that you will never need a handgun for its ultimate purpose - to stop a threat from harming you! But if you do, the little M&P will get the job done.

My favorite handload for the .38 Special is 3.0 grains of IMR 700-X powder under a Accurate Molds 36-159B-D cast wadcutter. This gives low recoil, with a 25 yard impact of 650 fps or so from a 4" barrel, and 14 to 16" of penetration.

Boolit Master
    +1 I am a firm believer that every shooter should have a S&W model 10 (or it’s fancy sister the 64) in the arsenal.

There is a reason why they are still around. Simple, honest, well behaved soft shootin for fun but can carry a good bite when need be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P S&W 10 2 Side.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	266538
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 08-20-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: pix added

Boolit Master
    Can't say I diagree with your choice here. I carried a revolver for close to 15 years and wasn't concerned with being undergunned. While times are different, 6 aimed is better than 15 sprayed.

A S&W K Frame with your load would last about forever and would always be easy and enjoyable to shoot.

It's funny that you posted this today as I was just putting a new set of VZ Grips on my Model 60 357 Magnum and enjoying the feel of the little revolver that roars and bucks.

That boolit is very similar to the Lyman 358432. I get great results with it.
    3.5 grains of Bullseye for full power and 3.0 grains of Bullseye for light target work.
    This boolit will do everything you need from a 38 Special.

I have been waiting to find a good Model 10 around here. It is really the only K frame S&W I want that I don't already have.

Boolit Master

I am a bit different, I am 71 and have an astigmatism and need adjustable sights
    So I use the Model 10 with adjustable sights THE MODEL 15
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I mostly agree with your thoughts on the Model 10, and revolvers in general, Bill*B. But the original 158 gr. copper coated .38 Special wasn't much of a man stopper, which is why the .357 Mag. came along. Since then there have been significant improvements in bullet designs and loads which once again make the .38 Special a reasonable choice.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The S&W Model 10 and the pre-1957 .38 Special M&P Hand Ejectors are great guns. I have several. I never found the fixed sights a problem, but sometimes it takes some experimentation to find a load which shoots where the gun looks, aided by a calibrated tweak of the barrel.

Attachment 266498Attachment 266501Attachment 266503
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	DSCN0531 (2).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	266530
    This was a Hong Kong Police trade in that I bought 30 years ago as a home defense gun. It is a round butt 10-5 and I got it for 99 dollars. I put the Pachmayr grips and a factory, spur-less, DAO hammer on it. This and a couple of speedstrips and there are darned few scenarios that I am likely to find myself in that I couldn't shoot my way clear of. The last time I was out with it, I put 6 in the black of a 25 yard rapid fire target to silence the yapping of the Glockophile next lane over. Never for a moment think that they won't shoot.

My local Gander Mountain had some Police trade-ins on the shelf for about 300 bucks, They had some wear, but the couple I looked at were solid, with excellent bores and chambers. I almost bought another one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The S&W HE revolvers and Colt 1911 autos are the most dependable handguns ever made. At least they were until corporate bean counters started running things. I never had much use for fixed sight guns of any kind. The only new ones I ever bought were S&W 10-13 and N frame 58. The first new m10 was a 6” back about 65. I was amazed that it shot with sights. Mostly use to cheap DA H&R and IJ revolvers, I had come to conclusion sights were for looks on DA revolvers. I went through period I would give a glance at fixed sight gun. Then I started testing them, still not crazy about them but if you have a fixed sight gun that shoots you load, you can’t get better. No adj sights to knock out or break.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post

Name:	DSCN0531 (2).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	266530
    This was a Hong Kong Police trade in that I bought 30 years ago as a home defense gun. It is a round butt 10-5 and I got it for 99 dollars. I put the Pachmayr grips and a factory, spur-less, DAO hammer on it. This and a couple of speedstrips and there are darned few scenarios that I am likely to find myself in that I couldn't shoot my way clear of. The last time I was out with it, I put 6 in the black of a 25 yard rapid fire target to silence the yapping of the Glockophile next lane over. Never for a moment think that they won't shoot.

My local Gander Mountain had some Police trade-ins on the shelf for about 300 bucks, They had some wear, but the couple I looked at were solid, with excellent bores and chambers. I almost bought another one.
    Which Gander Mtn was that, rintinglen? Since you list your location as Orange, you could call a couple of GM stores “local.” I’m in Lynchburg, so it might be worth a Friday road trip, depending on which location has these.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I'm also a K frame admirer. I gifted my #15 to one son & my #14 to the other son. I recently filled the gap with a LEO #64 turn-in. The exterior had accumulated wear from carrying & the Pachmayr grips were worn to the bone. Under the bbl. "C.A.I. Georgia, UT" was stamped. It had no mechanical wear. I'd bet it had no more that 200 rounds on it (if that much). A little TLC with worn out 800 paper+ white rouge + JM grips and she looks better & shoots great. I agree with tazman the 358432 is accurate : mine weigh 160 gr. from my Lyman 4 cav.. I also use 358429: both over 4.0 HP-38 (4.0 of PB when they made it).

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-003F.JPG  

Boolit Grand Master
    Carried one at work for years & years. Been through a lot. Searing heat, rain, winter freezes, water rescues, climbing, crawling, repelling and always with me and reliable. Gotta agree with the OP. Just perfect.

Boolit Man
    I had always looked at the Model 10 as a second rate revolver with its fixed sights and lowly 38 special cartridge. I bought a 10-8 heavy barrel 4" last year, it was like new. I started shooting it and it shot great no problem qualifying with it. I have come to the point where less is more, I am drawn to the simplicity of the S&W 10 and the like. I purchased Underwood Ammo 38 Plus P 158 lead gas check hp. I chronographed the load at 1040 to 1020 feet per second, so much for a lowly 38 special. I wish I had seen the light years ago. I am looking for more.

Boolit Master

One of my favorite revolvers to shoot.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

My S&W slightly predates the M10. It is a VS victory model from late WWII, That thing is the daddy of the M10. I swear you could shoot it blindfolded and still hit your target. Love that revolver!

I need 3 more. One for me, one each for my 25 year old twins. My wife has a m67 and earlier this year I gave my m15 to my oldest daughter. My favorite DA revolvers. If I need more than the .38 Special, out comes the Blackhawks and .45 autos.

Banned

About 25 years ago, perhaps a bit more, I was in a gun show in Lawton, Oklahoma and a guy had three tables full of police department revolvers. Blued model 10s and Blued Sevice sixes for $150 apiece, stainless Model 10s for $165. I traded off something for what I determined was the best of the stainless ones and stiill have it. Wish I had the sense to figure out how to buy a few more, but money was a little tighter back then.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is a 66, but I couldn't agree more.

Boolit Grand Master
    My LEO surplus K frame was a Model 66 No Dash. It went through a couple of extensive rebuilds then had its 4” barrel replaced with a 6”. It sorta stopped being a Model 66 and became a Model 616 when I had Andy Horvath refit it with a reworked Model 617 barrel and cylinder rebored to make it a 327 Fed Mag. I’ve got a K 22 and K 38 From 1948 and Model 14-3 converted to a Model 16-3 homage, but I think the “616” is the ultimate development of the K frame.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    One of the easiest to shoot and reload for pistole’s I have. I got a Model 10/5 and a 64 stainless. I like the stainless but the blue model 10 looks almost perfect to me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast