Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention All Shooters!

Moderator Emeritus

Attention All Shooters!

Guns in the News
    US NEWSPOLITICSCOMMENTARYGUNSWORLD NEWS

U.S.A. – -(Ammoland.com)- As widely reported, New York Attorney General Letitia James filed suit to dissolve the NRA filed on August 6. The suit claims that NRA executives Wayne LaPierre, Wilson Phillips, Joshua Powell, and John Frazer used their positions for personal gain and otherwise misspent or misused NRA funds and resources. The AG claims that she can bring the action because the NRA was incorporated in New York as a non-profit corporation. While an eventual outcome of dissolving the association is thought by some legal analysts to be an overreach, AG James doesn’t have to shut them down to have a devastating effect:“This diverts NRA focus and resources away from the November election at a time when both are most needed if the Democrat agenda against the right to keep and bear arms is to be effectively politically opposed.”We’re already seeing the effects of that. “NRA’s political spending plunges as lawsuits, controversies hit,” Fox News reports. “The NRA’s most recent filings say it has spent less than $1 million in the 2020 cycle.”

WITH THE BIDEN/HARRIS THREAT GROWING, THIS COULD NOT HAVE COME AT A WORSE TIME FOR GUN OWNERS.
    However, an Alabama lawyer who is also an NRA Life Member has suggested a legal procedure that could be used both to preserve the NRA’s existence and to install new leadership if the New York AG proves her claims against the NRA executives. George Douglas raised the alarm for the NRA’s general membership in an “Action Memorandum”, pointing out that the individual NRA executive defendants had “obvious and irreconcilable” conflicts of interest:“Regardless of whether the [attorney general’s] claims are true, the individuals will be likely to put their own interests ahead of the corporation’s, and therefore likely to agree [to] a settlement that absolves them of personal liability by using the corporation’s assets to buy off the plaintiff.”

Douglas noted three possibilities if the suit goes forward as it is presently filed “and all of them are bad for the NRA and its membership.” The first two possibilities are that either the New York AG or the NRA would win flat out, but Douglas said both of these are unlikely. He said the most probable outcome would be that “The AG and the LaPierre defendants will cook up a settlement that allows both sides to declare victory but in actuality results in further damage to the NRA with both a diminution of its assets and a restriction on its activities while leaving the LaPierre group in control.”

RELATED: Three U.S. Islands with Strict Gun Control and their Murder Rates
    Douglas urged NRA members to intervene in the New York suit, both individually and as state or local associations. He explained that intervention is a legal procedure allowing persons who aren’t parties to a suit to “intervene” and participate in the litigation “when they would be adversely affected by a judgment but aren’t adequately represented by the original parties.” He suggested five “basic claims for intervention”:

That the intervening NRA members will be adversely affected by a judgment in the action, and that they are not (and cannot) be adequately represented by either the NYAG or the individual defendants and their counsel due to their inherent conflicts of interest.

That the NYAG does not have the legal authority to assert her claims against the NRA based on the alleged wrongs of its individual leadership, and that those claims (even if true) can only be properly brought by the NRA members.
    That the proper remedy for those wrongs, if they are proven, is not the dissolution of the NRA but recovery of the misspent funds from the individuals for the NRA as an entity, not for the NYAG or the State.
    That because of the inherent conflicts of interest between the individual defendants and the NRA as an entity, the NRA must have separate counsel who are not chosen by the individual defendants.
    That both the NYAG and the intervenors should therefore be allowed to proceed with proving the allegations against the individual defendants, and that if those are proven then the individual defendants should be removed from their positions and new leadership chosen by the NRA members should be put in place. Douglas sent his memorandum out Thursday by email, with a request to “Please give this memo as wide a circulation as you can. Don’t assume that your circle of contacts will see it if you don’t circulate it.” He appealed to the “true friends” of the NRA to intervene in the New York suit individually and on behalf of the general membership.

RELATED: How to Rack a Pistol Slide: It’s Mostly Technique
    Not being admitted to practice law in New York, Douglas said he is not trying to solicit clients but to alert NRA members to this legal procedure, and stated that he’s “glad to help in any way I can with research, etc.” Interviewed by AmmoLand Shooting Sports News, Douglas emphasized the urgent need for immediate NRA member action:“It’s very important that motions to intervene be made very soon, before this case begins to gain momentum. The law requires “timely intervention” by interested parties and that means as soon as possible.”Douglas also noted that the very first paragraph of the AG’s complaint in the case says “…the NRA is legally required to serve the interests of its membership and advance its charitable mission”, adding “If the NRA executives actually did what the AG’s complaint alleges, then it will be awfully hard for them to argue they were serving the interests of the NRA’s membership and advancing its mission.”

Legal contacts I have don’t practice in New York either, so I present this on AmmoLand in the interest of giving exposure to a unique idea that appears to merit consideration. As such, if you are an NRA member who agrees this has potential, please pass Douglas’ Action Memorandum on to those within your sphere of influence, and especially to gun owner rights groups with significant numbers of NRA members and the resources to become intervenors.

David Codrea is the winner of multiple journalist awards for investigating/defending the RKBA and a long-time gun owner rights advocate who defiantly challenges the folly of citizen disarmament. He blogs at “The War on Guns: Notes from the Resistance,” is a regularly featured contributor to Firearms News, and posts on Twitter: @dcodrea and Facebook.

Boolit Master
    Thanks.
    Did I miss it? What is the procedure to follow to intervene in this case?
    The June/July issue of American Rifleman had a picture of Wayne with "It's time to fight" on the cover. I sent an email to the NRA saying I was excited because I thought Wayne was going to start refuting all the things I'd been reading in the "news", but was disappointed when the whole article could have been written in three words, "Send more money". I got an automated reply saying someone would be in touch to address my concerns. I'm still waiting for that to happen.
    So, how do we as gun owners/NRA members go about intervening in this mess? I love the NRA, but I'm hesitant to keep sending money until I know that me and at least 2,000 more just like me aren't supplying Wayne with his wardrobe allowance each year.

Boolit Master

While I am not in any way versed enough in the legal ramifications of what is being spoken about, I will echo a single line of what was said above and that is "this couldn't come at a worse time". From the last 4 years of fake news and numerous attempts to take Trump and the 2nd amendment down we can know for sure that the timing was intentional. We need the NRA to fight for us. They are at the tip of the spear when it comes to these sort of battles. I desire to place my support on a "new NRA" as far as leadership is concerned with an effort to salvage as much as we can. Let's band together on this critical issue. It's strength in numbers and we the members are only at our best when we are focused and on the same page.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Couldn’t have said it better than smoked turkey did. Bravo !

Boolit Master

I have been an NRA member for a long time, and will continue to be, but I've become more and more convinced in recent years that it is way past time for LaPierre and co. to go. He's severely damaged the efficacy of the organization, and it's become more about Wayne and less about the cause. As deliberately horrible as the timing is, if it takes a corrupt, partisan New York prosecutor to root out Wayne and co. from the NRA leadership, then in the long run it might even be for the better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I have been an NRA member for a long time, and will continue to be, but I've become more and more convinced in recent years that it is way past time for LaPierre and co. to go. He's severely damaged the efficacy of the organization, and it's become more about Wayne and less about the cause. As deliberately horrible as the timing is, if it takes a corrupt, partisan New York prosecutor to root out Wayne and co. from the NRA leadership, then in the long run it might even be for the better.
    Agree 100%. Man has to go.

I will continue to support the NRA and other Gun Rights Groups, but I will wait to get even with the NRA.
    They sold out all the Title 2 gun owners of this country, and I will not forgive them for that.
    It is like being in a bad marriage for me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I wish the NRA was more transparent in their finances and expenditures. I've belonged for about 54 years and have sent in many donations, but since this trouble started I'm finding it very difficult. What jimlj said above in Post #2 is how I feel. When I send in my dollars I want them to go to fight anti-gun legislation, not to buy Wayne's suits. He's had a 40-year run as head of the NRA and it's past time for him to retire. I dislike all of the solicitations for travel, wine, cigars, various merchandise. They've got their fingers in a lot of pies that don't have much to do with their purpose for existing. I'll remain a member and a reluctant supporter, but it's time for a major overhaul.

Boolit Master

Whenever I get phone calls from NRA (I'm a life member, several levels up), I tell them the same thing;

I'm a life Member, and will be for life. But, not another dime from me until WLP is gone.
    I'm sorry it has to be that way, but it is.

Boolit Master
    so I guess from what my non legal mind understands of this we need a New York lawyer to intervene on behalf of nra members. who knows a good New York lawyer?

Boolit Master

"this couldn't come at a worse time"

I think not. Suits at law are inherently LONG drawn out affairs taking YEARS to move through an already crowded and now, thanks to Covid-19, 6-month triply crowded docket. It will be sometime in 2023 before this mess is figured out.

Measure your responses in this election year. Don't give an inch away in rhetorical discussion that will have zero effect on the election outcome - but would tend to divide us as pro-gun representatives. Keep the opposition guessing. Hold your cards close to your vest and don't take their baiting.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-20-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    LaPierre has to go and anyone connected to him,a board has to be set up as an oversite committee to keep stuff like this from happening. No more boutique clothing,exotic trips and so on. This reminds of me of Jim Bakker and co with their shenanigans. I stopped supporting the NRA when they pretty much left us here in Ma to fend for ourselves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I wish the NRA was more transparent in their finances and expenditures. I've belonged for about 54 years and have sent in many donations, but since this trouble started I'm finding it very difficult. What jimlj said above in Post #2 is how I feel. When I send in my dollars I want them to go to fight anti-gun legislation, not to buy Wayne's suits. He's had a 40-year run as head of the NRA and it's past time for him to retire. I dislike all of the solicitations for travel, wine, cigars, various merchandise. They've got their fingers in a lot of pies that don't have much to do with their purpose for existing. I'll remain a member and a reluctant supporter, but it's time for a major overhaul.
    From what I've observed, the NRA has been playing in the mud so long that they are now part of the swamp that needs draining. 20% of their focus is on defending the RKBA, while 80% is on becoming wealthier and more powerful. The love of money is the root of all evil.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Whenever I get phone calls from NRA (I'm a life member, several levels up), I tell them the same thing;

I'm a life Member, and will be for life. But, not another dime from me until WLP is gone.
    I'm sorry it has to be that way, but it is.
    I'm in the same boat. The NRA is too important, too big, too influential to just give up on. If it was just WLP and co. I'd dump them in a heartbeat, but they have the infrastructure, the "clout", the recognition, and thousands of good people in the organization that we really need nowadays. Dumping the NRA completely is like tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

I know a lot of people have been trying to get WLP out for a while now, but he's got himself dug in like a tick on a dog. So many of the membership is waking up to the fact that WLP considers the NRA to be his own personal little kingdom. Is he so arrogant that he's willing to take the whole organization down with him? It sure looks that way.

Boolit Master

There is a great tone to the above comments. It seems that here in this small group there is pretty much agreement to a large extent on what needs to be done to preserve the NRA. It is a good organization with some bad apples in the bunch. Not at all uncommon with organizations who have people who have overstayed their time of influence. I received 3 separate duns for money today from the NRA. Everyone one of them had a "the sky is falling" tone and needed money right now in order to fix the problem. I trashed all three of them as I sent them a donation not 2 weeks ago. I'm in the no more donations until I get some answers as to what is actually going on within the organization. I want us to fix it and not throw out the baby with the bath water.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Obviously must be a coincidence the Fed DA in Manhattan has gone after Steve Bannon for the same reason. They are getting a tad early for their October surprise but the mail ballots go out soon.

Boolit Master
    The timing is suspicious but I have believed that LaPierre has been a rotten apple for a long time.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

"Timing is suspicious . . . " You bet, but the resignation of Oliver North and 8 or 9 board members at rapid succession for the same call for financial transparency was not even the first call. It has been said for years that Wayne's activities have been a lingering question for over a decade. The focus has been and must remain protection of the rights of American Citizens, period. When all of us have sacrificed from time to time it hasn't seemed that Wayne and company have suffered much nor have they focused on our rights.

How many compromises (bump stocks, magazine limits, bullet buttons, etc.) have been made along the way? Our opponents in this fight have been relentless, and we should be no less fervent in our fighting resolve. Every NRA member I know has complained of the compromises, and many have written letters expressing their disappointment. All expressed concerns seem to be ignored by Wayne and his cohorts. And yet, Wayne keeps getting re-elected by the Board of Directors in Wayne's pocket. We went from a civil rights, safety training, and promotion of shooting sports as a means to maintain proficiency, to an organization that ignores it's constituency. Time for change, and that change should be as stated above, and I paraphrase 'not another dime' with a caveat that there is explicit accountability that the dimes are being spent on the fight, not the self enrichment of key persons.

Wayne's or his successor should be on a close leash with regard to expenses. I get that travelling to DC is required but he, or his successor should be living near headquarters, which is near DC. Hotels? Meal Expenses? These can be covered by having a limited per diem. Any upgrades to travel, lodging, or meals, should be at the expense of the individual.

Wayne is a professional, suits are required. Such items can be deductible expenses, but those expenses belong to the professional. I had a 'uniform expense check' every year and expenses over that amount were my responsibility, and my write-off. And yet, mid and upper level managers in my agency did not earn a 'uniform expense check' they were on the hook for their suits, shirts, ties, and dry cleaning. All became deductible expenses.

Gifts and gratuities should be no less restricted for the Executive VP than for an elected representative to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Travel paid for by lobbyists, especially the Ex. VP should be restricted and limited, as well as re portable to the membership. We, the NRA must stand firm on accountability with oversight by a respected accounting firm not in the pocket of any board member or the executive leadership. Not another dime without accountability.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

It is well that each of us is an NRA Member. You're OK. I'm OK.

The combined sentiment is that WLP is not OK. Any one of us that has or is considering walking away from NRA membership due to the presence of one WLP is the same as turning your back on and walking away from you and me. That's not OK.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    NOT........... ANOTHER.........DIME. I've been a member of the NRA
    over 40 years and a life member over 20.

Waynus has to go.

If, and that's a big IF, he and his cronies are pushed out then my
    financial support level will resume. He's like the proverbial fan:
    If you stand in front of him, he blows.
    If you stand beside him, he sucks.
    If you stand behind him, he doesn't do a dang thing for you.
    Last edited by serger; 08-29-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast