Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 311284 is authoritative!

Boolit Master

Just give him one in the boiler room.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Methinks you need to step up to a .375 H&H as a backup gun!Them that sqwirls are vishus!

Boolit Buddy

Late reply on my part but I had to comment. That is funny, I'm still laughing, I love the way you set that story up.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to be able to use cast bullet loads for small game, but here in Georgia centerfire firearms are not legal for that use....air guns, rimfire, archery, muzzleloaders only.

I worked on a fish hatchery for several years that had an abundance of bullfrogs (considered non-game in GA). Each pond had a small wooden walkway that extended about 20 feet into the pond and rested on the drain structure. Frogs loved to sit in the shade under the walkway and were accustomed to folks working and driving around the ponds for one reason or another.

Frogs are primitive things and .22's that missed the brain would usually cause them to jump in and swim to the bottom where they were almost impossible to retrieve. I used a 2 1/2" Model 66 with .38 wadcutters to collect many a pair of frog legs; I could shoot left-handed out of the truck window, then hop out and dip up the frog. I also used a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special with the Lee 214 grain SWC; they seldom even moved when one of those landed on them.

They used to laugh at me being overgunned for frogs. Maybe, but I enjoyed a lot of frog legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan10001.jpg  

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Frogs die very easily from handgun shot cartridges also, and they don't jump either.

Boolit Master

I would have been terrified to go after those critters with such a light load !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I would have been terrified to go after those critters with such a light load !!
    Wounded ones are dangerous; they can hop you right up a tree.

Boolit Man
    Respectfully, I think you're under gunned. Around here we hunt with the mighty .22 long rifle and good glass. ..!!

Boolit Master

Blammer
    I think you where a little under gunned there and maybe next time you should use a .505 gibbs so there isn't a chance they will get away. Seriously that is very impressive, me I want to use my 32-20 or if I can find someone to build it my .256 win mag. Yep I like those big calibers. I also have a 30-30, 375 winchester and 45-70 for serious work if needed. I am just looking at lead bullets for them as it seems more fun to shoot then brass jacketed bullets. Now if I can only find a cast bullet for my .270 bullet in 120 and 140 grain. The 140 grain is the max I can go with my 1in10 twist rifle according to the program I was using and I like that weight bullet anyway. Just might have to work up a drawing to send to Lee and get one each made.

Boolit Man
    I would humbly suggest that U try Lyman 311291 as you can get two for the same weight. They shoot superbly in my 03-A3. Up here in PA, we stalk and shoot them with a .22 and good glass.

Boolit Bub
    I think if you step up to a 600gr .50 BMG,
    you 'might' get a little more range than the 25 - 30 yards you're getting with that setup. . . . .

Why not a .458 Winchester Magnum? I understand that the 105mm self-propelled gun is deadly on deer.

Ya gotta use nuff gun on them dangorus critters or ya mite get hurt. My 45/70 stops dem attack lim rats ever time, no lie. I'm afeared ya are way under gunned with that 06.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Banned

Squrril

I was just talking with my boy about shooting squirrels with his Henry .22 We have way too many of them around here. There is no closed season on Red Squirrels and we have lots of them.

A 30-06 may be a bit much but is it possible to download it to shoot a paper patched very light boolit. Maybe a hollow core tube bullet with closed base that would fragnment upon impact.

Something for you moldmakers to work on.

The idea is that the bullet would break up upon hitting a branch leaves, grass so that its downrange distance would be limited.

Kind of along the lines of a Flu-Flu Fletching on an arrow used for flying birds.

A lead hollow core ultra light wieght bullet with baggy wrinkle on it to fly strainght with limited distance.! for close range fun.

The Raggy Boolit!

Work on it!

In Remebrance

I used the 311316 out of a 32-20 rifle at 1400+ fps. Way too much for squirrels! I hope to try the pointed 311359.

Banned

a blast from the past.

Boolit Mold
    Blammer:

It was good to see a BDL DM because I don't see many of them in use. Ours is in .270 and stacks them using a very old Lyman mould. Yours looks great.

Boolit Master
    I read this thread a couple of weeks ago while researching 311284 for deer.

Banned

My all time favorite mold for the 30'06... for sure.

Here's a photo from Ben Hays. Nuff said on a cast performer? You Bet..!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1benmakerSmall.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	210411

www.patmarlins.com
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I sent Ben a box with at least 500 printed targets. He’s still using paper plates.

I find that quite humorous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast