Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recycling at its finest

recycling at its finest

Ok, to start with this is not B S , two years ago I shot a deer with my cast lead bullet and had a good shoulder hit. the bullet lodged in the front shoulder bone. For fun I dug it out. Now I have melted it together with a lead weight that i found scuba diving and made a .30 cal projectile, loaded in the brass that i killed a doe with last year and now intend to harvest a deer with this year. Am I the only one with too much time on my hands.
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Boolit Buddy
    No. Right there with you. Stopped watching TV June 1st. Haven't been in a store since March 1st. Amazing how much time you have when you don't go any where or sit mindlessly watching TV.

I've opened every ammo can (don't ask how many), sorted primers, cleaned dies, shot up ALL odd boxes of rifle ammo, shot a lot of odd pistol ammo, cleaned & sorted brass, cleaned dies, sold a bunch of odds and ends of things I didn't even remember having, melted all my cans of bullet trap fragments into ingots, etc, etc, & etc.

Kinda liked it though. Spending more time doing the things I like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    No. Right there with you. Stopped watching TV June 1st. Haven't been in a store since March 1st. Amazing how much time you have when you don't go any where or sit mindlessly watching TV.

I've opened every ammo can (don't ask how many), sorted primers, cleaned dies, shot up ALL odd boxes of rifle ammo, shot a lot of odd pistol ammo, cleaned & sorted brass, cleaned dies, sold a bunch of odds and ends of things I didn't even remember having, melted all my cans of bullet trap fragments into ingots, etc, etc, & etc.

Kinda liked it though. Spending more time doing the things I like.
    Jealous, I am! Few more years, and I will be there. Still like my job!

I agree I have stopped most of TV, then working from home and doing my shopping on line I have found 8-10 hours a week to do things I used to do before watching too much tv
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Boolit Master
    I gave up TV Channels in the late 90's Bought a big screen to watch purchased videos while eating supper, 1-video usually lasts 3-4 nights unless it's a really good one. I found that the garbage on TV back then was bad enough, can't even imagine what it's like today. I get far more done without it even if it's sitting on the back porch with the woman watching the Humming Birds. Quality time! As for your recycling, I think you ought to see how many you can harvest with that same brass, & wouldset a goal just to keep you Hunt'n.

Boolit Master

The old buffalo skinners would collect the lead bullets and give them to the shooters who
    would recast for the next round of culling.

Fun listening here
    https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.co...ter-1957-06-30

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Need to put a small notch on that case rim for every deer you harvest.

Nope! Sounds like a great endeavor! Not wasted time a'tall and gave me an idea to further the "entertainment value" of my JJ days at the hunt club. One of the goals this year was to reload a cartridge out in one of the camp spots with a cast-over-the-coals bullet, go find a fox squirrel or a lil striper fit for the spit and cook it.
    Now I can add tryin to recover the boolit and reload it again. Or part of it, anyways.
    Hmmmm. And I hafta figger what velocity would limit penetration enough but still be effective on either. A lil pookie load.
    Thanks for the idea! You started it now..

ETA- spelled boolit wrong. let the beatings commence..

Quote Originally Posted by talon7825 View Post
    Ok, to start with this is not B S , two years ago I shot a deer with my cast lead boolit and had a good shoulder hit. the bullet lodged in the front shoulder bone. For fun I dug it out. Now I have melted it together with a lead weight that i found scuba diving and made a .30 cal projectile, loaded in the brass that i killed a doe with last year and now intend to harvest a deer with this year. Am I the only one with too much time on my hands.

Boolit Buddy
    I have recovered a lot of boolits from deer, I have a hard time remelting them because they look so cool!! I normally take the empty brass(308,30-06,7.62x39) and put the bullet on top of it and hang it on my boolit wallClick image for larger version. 

Name:	75133C72-2548-4088-BC48-C31774CB612E.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	266515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D68D788-1C73-489E-BE90-8157D2E47398.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	266516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53E29EC6-A670-4170-9EBA-9EB6F74D50D5.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	266517

Boolit Master

I re-cast every boolit but one, a ricochet that bounced off of my leg. My buddy saw me hopping around and asked what that was about. "Because you shot me!" I reached down and picked up the boolit. He said "Hang onto that one, that's the boolit with your name on it." Never re-cast that one.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I re-cast every boolit but one, a ricochet that bounced off of my leg. My buddy saw me hopping around and asked what that was about. "Because you shot me!" I reached down and picked up the boolit. He said "Hang onto that one, that's the boolit with your name on it." Never re-cast that one.
    I would dig it down about eight feet and bury that slug in concrete so nobody ever re-ran that one for a second try!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Three44s, sadly I have been shot 4 times total, each ricochets. I was qualifying at an indoor range and the guy next to me was shooting jacketed 9mm A slug came back and hit my left thumb, bloody mess as the jacket broke the skin.

Same range, shooting cast 45 ACP and a chunk of lead stuck to my chest. I raised my hand and the range master asks what's up. "I'm hit" he asked 'is it bad?' I replied "No." 'Well then, return fire!' I had a welt for 3 months. Range master then cautioned all of of who were trained to raise a hand if there was a problem 'clear it and get back in the fight!' Years later, my agency changed bad policy and training. That and the indoor range was closed due to safety issues, go figure.

Last time I was shot I had loaded some bird shot in my .357 and had some come back and sting my face. I always wear ears and eyes and have a first aid kit. The one day you are guaranteed to have gunfire is at the range, and you need to have basic training in wound care. I was SWAT for 7 years, we all received basic battlefield trauma care training annually. Getting shot doesn't mean getting dead but I will leave a mark.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    I e been shot 2 times, one was with bird shot out of a 12ga. I had to use my pistol in SD for that one.... and I got shot with a 9mm in the shoulder it went deep enough for the skin to close over it

talon- you have inspired me to see how many deer I can get from this Lee 150F in this patina solar annealed 30-30 brass!
    Rock on, man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Years back I mad a couple "shaker boxes" for range mining. It's fun seeing all the cast bullets you've shot. Then get to melt them all down and go from there.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What’s your shooters muzzle velocity and how soft are you guys casting? I’ve only shot three deer and a rabbit so far with cast and all the boolits kept going. If I recover one it will be used on my desk for a paperweight.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-21-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Back in the day when I used a 55 gallon drum filled with rubber mulch, I got to see all the rounds and how they did or did not expand..it was interesting.

casts/cleanout

These came from cleaning this barrel out, lotz of work every 3 months or so.

barrel/cleanout

Nowadays all I get back is this, everything shreaded...jacketed, plated & casts.

now/melt

They come from this metal backstop collector, my brother Manny helped install it.

All the ready to melt lead collects in this metal bucket.

Here I'm shooting through the chrono with a HP cast and then into a lineup of 6 milk jugs, most of the time I catch the mushroom in one of the jugs but if it doesn't open, that backstop gets it and turns it into an unrecognizable lump.

This is one kind of recycling I can really get into, especially out here 'behind enemy lines' where lead is hard to come by.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Texas by god, every time I see that small ring 30-30 of yours I desperately want to "recycle" a bunch of the loose small ring parts I have laying around into one like it.

Now THAT's the way ta do it! I'm envious of that setup!

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Back in the day when I used a 55 gallon drum filled with rubber mulch, I got to see all the rounds and how they did or did not expand..it was interesting.This is one kind of recycling I can really get into, especially out here 'behind enemy lines' where lead is hard to come by.

Boolit Buddy
    I've only got one animal with cast. A small doe broadside plus a 436gr hunk of lead at 1600ish gives two holes. I might get one out of a moose up here though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast