Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What did I find? Pictures Added

Banned

What did I find? Pictures Added

Like Tazman, I have had two good range days getting various .22's sighted in and shooting for groups. Only the Remington 572 pump refuses to group under 1.5 inches.
    So, on the way home I swung by the local gun shop and they had three .22 single shots that all said take me home. Well, three at a time is a bit much so I picked up a new one to me. It's German, maybe 100 years old or thereabouts.
    It's physically small with a adult length of pull stock. It's marked "Original Geco Prazisions-Karabiner Modell 1919" on the barrel, the receiver is Geco 1919.

There is a 3 digit number that could be a serial number.
    The stock is walnut and in nice shape, no need to refinish this one with a raised cheep pad and hand checkering on the pistol grip.

Nice rifle, I need to clean and oil it before shooting, standard velocity only.

Boolit Master
    Wow, nice find! I would like to have a local shop that had stuff like that. Looking forward to pictures. What did you leave behind, equally as interesting??
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Geco rifles were made in Germany right after WW1 and were exported into the US in the early 1920's.

Most were youth-stocked boy's rifles.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Was für ein cooles Gewehr, ich bin jelous. Genießen!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Genau!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    What I left behind? A Cooey Model 60, complete but rode hard and put up wet. More appealing is a Mossberg Model B. If it's still there in a couple of weeks it may follow me home.

Banned
    You are incorrigible

I doubt many of us would have waited 3 weeks LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Yup. Petty cool indeed. And jealous too. No wait, just envious. Hey, I have in my hands, one genuine Orberndorf Mauser 22 that my father bought when he was a young man. He would have been born just over a hundred years ago so that rifle would be around 80 years old.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    Pictures of the Geco and the Premier that came with it. 1st pic is the Premier the rest are the Geco.

Both rifles are rather petite in size. Very easy to handle. They have a 22 inch force fit barrel to the receiver. Length of pull is 13.5 inches, plenty comfortable for an adult. They both use the same action though no parts interchange. The Premier has what looks like a boxwood stock with some kind of shoe polish stain and shellac finish. It's in worse condition with all the bluing gone and some pitting. I will be able to preserve the stock finish, but will probable re-blue the metal.
    Both rifles have their ejectors.

The Geco is nice, the walnut stock will clean nicely,the metal is very good. These actions have no ejector. The extractor is a sliding bar with a C shaped collar that the case fits into. It's free rising in a slot in the receiver and can get lost.
    Google search turned up almost nothing of note concerning these rifles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9735.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	266472

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	266473

Name:	IMG_9746.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	266474

Name:	IMG_9748.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	266475

Boolit Master
    Pretty little rifle, thanks for the pictures. Hope you can let us know how it shoots, real soon
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Pressman look at the remington 572 fit between the barrel and receiver. A friend has one and he tells me that the barrel is loose and that is causing his to shoot bad. I don't know what he did to fix it but it is doing better. I was visiting another friend and was given a Mossberg B a couple of weeks ago. I has no stock and trigger guard but I am a wood worked and will begin the stock soon. I may have to make a trigger guard

Banned
    This rifle confirms what I already knew, our forefathers had much better eyesight than we do. They had to if they could normally shoot a rifle with sights so fine. I can see some iron sights fairly well, these were a tough look through.

18 shots off a front rest at 25 yards, all in the circle. The early shots were the worst, as I learned how to get both sights aligned and on target the group tightened up. Not bad for a 100 year old inexpensive rifle. As a single shot with a floating cradle extractor loading required learning a new procedure to get the cartridge aimed at the chamber and into the cradle. I finally worked out how to do it with one hand.
    I stated above there is no ejector on these rifles, that turned out to be not true, the firing pin serves as the ejector, flipping the brass over the rear.

Overall I am happy with the rifle, it is a fine addition to my single shot collection.

Name:	20200821_141337.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	266603

Talk about fine sights. My Dad filed his 22 Mauser sights to a near needle point and the rear sight to a very flat vee. Well, I shouldered this thing yesterday and aimed it and I could see the sights! Both of them, plus the target! I can aim at a bullet hole with them. Hopefully I will get to a range in two weeks time - just signed up membership otherwise it will cost me $50 to go shoot there. It's just ten minutes away.

Banned
    The German and French 22 military trainers are getting into the $1000.00 range today. I cringed when 303guy said they had filed the sights.

I have a nice Cigur with a long barrel that I could shoot with the iron sights, if I would file the notch open. Fortunately I found a way of mounting a long eye relief scope and saving the rear sight.

But, I would rather shoot iron sights than use a scope. Old eyes not with standing.

My Dad didn't modified the original sights, he actually modified a spare set he bought. I wonder what happened to the originals? Long lost. Pity.

I never thought of the value of the gun. It's value to me is that it is my late father's rifle and is the rifle I grew up with. But those modified sights worked well for him and were the sights I grew up with. And man, could I shoot with them! But I remember once I missed a clear shot. Puzzled, I looked at what had happened and realized the sun angle had caused me to not see the top of the front sight so I had shot high. So yeah, they do have that downside. But normally I could acquire the sights very quickly.

I find myself moving back to iron sights too. I have two rifles that I find I can aim small with, a Russian Toz 17 and that Mauser. I last shot that Mauser when I was a schoolboy and that wasn't yesterday. I've never shot the Toz. I wonder how I'll do with them?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-28-2020 at 04:02 PM.

I have some Geco ammo, do they make .22?

Should shoot much better with its own brand. lol

Cool old rifle!

Boolit Mold
    Such beautiful rifles! I'd love to see more photos.