WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Have you used these in a 30/06 ?

Boolit Buddy

Have you used these in a 30/06 ?

Just had a new tube put on mine . Been looking at data & QL . In the past with 165 or 180gr J bullets 4350 / W760/H414 / RL 19 got first nod , 180's 4831 or RL22 if no like 4350 . 24" barrel 2700fps with a 180 , 2800 with a 165 was possible . Numbers some of the new stuff show has me intrigued . Of course we've all seen published numbers that were removed from the actual . Has anyone used any of the following :
    Norma URP or MRP
    RS Big Game or Hunter
    IMR 4955
    Superformance
    StaBall 6.5
    RL 16 or 17
    Any pressure kinks , need for magnum primers , any other characteristics you noted etc . ?

I have used varget, RL19 and hunter in 30-06 with 162 eld-m jacketed bullets.
    I didn't shoot enough to remember how good they shot but my guess would be varget
    Performed the best.

What rifle ya got it isnt a auto loader is it
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    No it's a 1973 vintage Rem 700 BDL . Now it's wearing a 24" S/S mag profile 1 in 10" . Some of the new stuff claims more speed @ same or less pressure . Now rather or not they can deliver with acceptable accuracy remains to be seen . Some also claim to be less temp sensitive & have decoppering agents . The old IMR 4350 , Win 760 / H 414 & RL 19 would shed velocity in colder weather enough to affect POI . H4350 in that regard was better as was H4831SC . If new data is for real 3000fps for a 165 & 2900 with a 180 is pretty close to 300 mag . $64,000 ? is can it do it safely with reasonable accuracy . Might prove interesting .

I imagine it has been done but i believe the case head will be the weak spot. You will get alot of stretch so case life will be diminished. Lyman is usually a little on the safe side
    165 gr. 760. 2959 fps
    180 gr. H4831. 2840 fps
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    just before this latest shortage came on I was able to get a jug of h4350, plenty of velocity for 165's but I gotta believe some of these new powders can revitalize what max velocity is just as LVR has done to the 30-30, the staball 6.5 looks very interesting

Boolit Buddy
    I feel that if loads are worked up carefully & according to published data from bullet / powder companies I'll be OK . Some guns like warmer loads & some don't . If accuracy aint there Mach 2 won't help . SAAMI max is 50,000 CUP & CIP is 58,725 PSI . Since I've no intention of exceeding them , I believe with new cases & sticking to components listed it'll go well . First sign of pressure STOP . Between fired cases , chronograph & targets I'll find good safe loads in that particular rifle .