Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Around 44 Mag loads?

Boolit Buddy

All Around 44 Mag loads?

I have 3 model 629s, 3”-6.5”-8 3/8” that I love to shoot, I hunt with the two longer ones and carry the 3” when I’m the woods or in colder weather.
    I’m getting into reloading and am looking for advice on a “Do it all or all purpose load”
    I have read and been told about the 9-10gr unique loads with cast bullets. Unfortunately Unique is pretty scarce right now.
    I’m thinking a Keith type cast boolit probably powder coated.
    I’m looking for anyone’s general recommendation for these types of loads.

I’ve got LP and LPM primers and some powders, 2400, Enforcer, True Blue, 1lb of unique,

Thanks in advance.

I use a lee 310 behind a full case of 296
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    For a medium power load that is still plenty powerful for deer or other thin skinned animals a load of 10.0g of Unique and Lymans 429421seated to 1.710 is a great load. For more powerful loads in case you are bothered with rhino's, 19 to 19.5g of 2400 at the same OAL .will do the job. I recommend standard primers with both the 2400 and Unique loads. Good luck!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

You can use 2400 at 16 to 18gr for a good lighter load if you can't find Unique. It would be equal to a strong but not maximum Keith style special load.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I've used a Lyman #429421 over 9.5grs of Unique for a loong time.
    My Dad developed that load in the late 1950's.
    Great "walking" around load. Carry it in My SBH 5 1/2".
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Never really found an "all around" load. Just learned to make do with the load I had at the time but have learned to pick the correct load for the perceived use. I've been shooting and loading for the 44 magnum since '68. I have developed 4 basic loads that I use for use in my four 44 magnums [3 revolvers (4, 6 and 6 1.2" barrels) and a Contender.

The first is with 240 gr SWCs that I cast [429360 and TL430-240-SWC] of commercial cast 240 SWCs [usually with a coat of LLA applied to prevent leading] loaded over 6 gr Bullseye to duplicate standard 44 SPL performance with excellent accuracy.

Second is a Lyman 429421 or RCBS 44-250-K loaded over 8.5 gr of Unique. This load gives excellent accuracy and medium power replicating Skeeter's 44 SPL load.

Third is the Lyman and RCBS 250 gr "Keith" bullet loaded over Keith's classic 44 magnum load; 22 gr 2400. A stout yet accurate magnum load used for S&Gs or for hunting medium game.

Forth is my preferred big game hunting load; the Lyman 429640 "Devastator" HP loaded over 23 gr of H110. When cast of 20-1 or 16-1 the terminal performance is excellent with very good expansion and plenty of penetration.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I like a powder coated 429421 over a stiff charge of H110 for the S&Ws, and powder coated, gas checked 429241 for the Marlin. Any more though, I've really come to appreciate a more moderate charge of unique with those bullets, for much shooting at the range.

Boolit Master
    My 44's prefer a 240-250 gr bullet always over 20 grains of 2400. MY SBH's like the cast bullet, my Marlin 1894 prefers a jacketed bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I would suggest you save the Enforcer for Magnum loads . 2400 can be down loaded some . I have used 17.5 grs with a 240 gr cast bullet for more than a " special " load but it's not a " magnum " load . True Blue works well and Ramshot has load data for it . 8.5 grs of Unique using a 240 gr bullet is a great " everyday " load and was Elmer Keiths middle load and most often used . True Blue will give you the same 950 fps to duplicate the Unique load . Regards Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    I would suggest you save the Enforcer for Magnum loads . 2400 can be down loaded some . I have used 17.5 grs with a 240 gr cast bullet for more than a " special " load but it's not a " magnum " load . True Blue works well and Ramshot has load data for it . 8.5 grs of Unique using a 240 gr bullet is a great " everyday " load and was Elmer Keiths middle load and most often used . True Blue will give you the same 950 fps to duplicate the Unique load . Regards Paul
    Let me ask this question. First I am very curious is all. Next I followed Elmer Keith for many years, actually since I got my first Guns and Ammo after he started writing for them.
    I have read about his loads ect. for the 44 Magnum and the 44 Specials over the years. Now here is the question. Does anyone have any evidence of him using anything in the 44 Magnum for the LAST several years of his life other than the "Keith" bullet and 22.0 grains of Hercules 2400? Not talking about his earlier years shooting the 44 Special or his early years of shooting or loading?
    I know he talked about lighter loads but did he ever use them the LAST several years ? Did he even practice his handgun shooting in the LAST several years of his life other than taking a shot or two at a rock, stump, badger dump etc? Did he even experiment on handgun loads the LAST several years he lived?
    Please don't read anything into this post other than what I asked.
    Not trying to start a controversy or a dissention among the readers, posters and a irritation of the moderators over this question.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 08-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I own and shoot five .44Magnumrevokvers and a Marlin lever action rifle in.44Magnum.
    I have found that 10gr of Unique under a commercial cast coated LSWC of 240gr will shoot accurately in each of those firearms.
    No problem hitting steel plates at 25yds and breaking small rocks beyond them on the berm. Soda cans and water bottles don't stand a chance at the 25yd line.

Moderator Emeritus

HS-6 is a good all around powder for mid level 44 mag loads pushing a SWC.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    HS-6 is a good all around powder for mid level 44 mag loads pushing a SWC.
    Absolutely. 10-12 grains HS-6 makes a wonderful 240gr 44 Mag load.

Boolit Bub
    Herco is just a touch slower than Unique and makes some fine handgun loads. It may be easier to find than Unique these days.

Boolit Buddy
    I GREATLY appreciate the replies. I been looking at Bayou Bullet 240gr PC’d SWC.
    I don’t cast YET.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Let me ask this question. First I am very curious is all. Next I followed Elmer Keith for many years, actually since I got my first Guns and Ammo after he started writing for them.
    I have read about his loads ect. for the 44 Magnum and the 44 Specials over the years. Now here is the question. Does anyone have any evidence of him using anything in the 44 Magnum for the LAST several years of his life other than the "Keith" bullet and 22.0 grains of Hercules 2400? Not talking about his earlier years shooting the 44 Special or his early years of shooting or loading?
    I know he talked about lighter loads but did he ever use them the LAST several years ? Did he even practice his handgun shooting in the LAST several years of his life other than taking a shot or two at a rock, stump, badger dump etc? Did he even experiment on handgun loads the LAST several years he lived?
    Please don't read anything into this post other than what I asked.
    Not trying to start a controversy or a dissention among the readers, posters and a irritation of the moderators over this question.
    What I understand is that Elmer spent time in a nursing home before he died , sometimes we go quickly and sometimes slowly . I don't know the answer to your question or what relevance it would have to any thing , I believe he was 85 or 84 so if he did shoot much those last few years he may have made some adjustments to what he shot when he was in better health and I am sure he reached a point that he did not shoot at all.
    I am glad much of what he did was recorded in print to learn from and enjoy he was a shooting mentor to many people he never met.
    I always looked forward to any articles with his name on them.

Boolit Buddy
    I've read him saying that he would shoot two cylinders full of his top 22gr 2400 load per week to stay 'in form', and the rest of his .44 Magnum shooting was with his reduced loads. So, ~600rds per year of the full charge stuff, and the rest, whatever it amounted to, of the lighter stuff. That's paraphrased from what I've read, probably in more than one place.

He had a stroke in December 1981, and passed in February 1984. I found a couple of oral history clips on the web, dated September 1981, when he was 82, from about 3 months before he had the stroke. Interesting to hear him in his own voice:

https://www.loc.gov/audio/?fa=partof...r:keith,+elmer

if you can't find unique, 9.0grs UNIVERSAL with a 240-265gr SWC works well.

6.5gr win231/hp38 240gr makes a mild accurate plinker

2400 or H110/win296 and a firm crimp for max velocity loads.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by photomicftn View Post
    I've read him saying that he would shoot two cylinders full of his top 22gr 2400 load per week to stay 'in form', and the rest of his .44 Magnum shooting was with his reduced loads. So, ~600rds per year of the full charge stuff, and the rest, whatever it amounted to, of the lighter stuff. That's paraphrased from what I've read, probably in more than one place.

He had a stroke in December 1981, and passed in February 1984. I found a couple of oral history clips on the web, dated September 1981, when he was 82, from about 3 months before he had the stroke. Interesting to hear him in his own voice:

https://www.loc.gov/audio/?fa=partof...r:keith,+elmer
    I understand what you are saying. I followed him closely for many years. the trouble is some people piece together things he said over many years. He occasionally did shoot reduced loads and liked them. But I have not found anywhere where he shot anything but his "Keith Load" the last several years of his life or where he even shot much. The 600 round figure was him talking about the first year he had the 6.5 inch 44 Mag Smith sent him. That was in around 1956.
    I don't know that he even shot his 235 Grain HP much if all after the mid '60's
    Again I am not saying he didn't shoot. But Ive not seen much evidence that he did shoot much other than just a few rounds of the "Keith Load" when he did shoot.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast