Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Airsoft for pistol training?

Boolit Buddy

Airsoft for pistol training?

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at training options and am looking into using an airsoft for drills. There are plenty of folks out there with recommendations for airsoft for use in games but not much out there telling me which airsoft pistol would be the most like a "real" pistol for training.

There are a number that I have come across and don't have a clue which one would be better?

tokyo marui? Umarex? Elite Force? VCF? Others?

Suggestions appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    My biggest concern is realism of the trigger.

Boolit Master
    Airsoft guns are toys and have no real purpose for adults, all plastic, there are many nice airgun pistols like the HW 45, 75, etc.

They dont weigh the same feel is gonna be diffrent and no recoil. I see problems with this theory
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 of these. https://store.kwausa.com/product/kwa-atp-c/

Close enough to my G19 for my taste and training. Not exactly all plastic, or a toy. Law enforcement uses them for training too.

https://store.kwausa.com/kwa-law-enforcement-division/

Boolit Master

For a beginner the hardest part is training your hand to only move your trigger finger. Repetitive dry fire with airsoft isn't as good as a real pistol but it does a good job creating the muscle memory needed to press a trigger without moving the sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    For a beginner the hardest part is training your hand to only move your trigger finger. Repetitive dry fire with airsoft isn't as good as a real pistol but it does a good job creating the muscle memory needed to press a trigger without moving the sights.
    I have read that some have a fairly realistic take-up/wall/break/reset. I am having a hard time figuring out which ones are the better for what I am looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post

Close enough to my G19 for my taste and training. Not exactly all plastic, or a toy. Law enforcement uses them for training too.

Thank you.

How is the trigger?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post

I am on their site and looking at that one and the full size version of the ATP. I am not seeing which holsters they fit. Do you know?

I used to have a gas blowback airsoft pistol that I bought to practice a few things without needing to be at the range. Of course a lot of the things I used it for could be practiced with an unloaded pistol. But I feel the feedback you get from actually seeing where you hit the target instead of just "pretending" you had your sights lined up was better than just dryfiring.

IMO it was extremely helpful when practicing drawing from holster to first shot, quick target transitions, learning to track where the sights are the second the shot breaks (calling your shots), and I could shoot all day in the basement or backyard.

Another benefit was that all of the controls on it were the same as a standard 2011. Even field stripping was the same. I would use it as a trainer for people that wanted to come to the gun range with me, but had never fired a gun. I would run them through loading/unloading/muzzle awareness and then let them use that at the range until I felt comfortable enough to give them the real thing.

I dont remember the exact model but it was a WE Hi Capa copy of a 2011. Everything on it was made of metal...frame, slide, and barrel. Granted it was aluminum, not steel, but it still had some weight and the trigger was around 3lbs. If I remember it was about $150 new.

If youre going to look at purchasing one look for a model that is gas blowback and all metal. The green gas they sell is just propane and you can get an adapter for the small camping propane cylinders so that you can charge your mags a lot cheaper that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Airsoft guns are toys and have no real purpose for adults, all plastic, there are many nice airgun pistols like the HW 45, 75, etc.
    Opinions vary:

WHY CHOOSE
    AIRSOFT TRAINING?
    KWA Professional Airsoft Training Products are designed to reinforce proficiency and survivability in tactical training programs. Repetition and consistency are essential to professionals who rely on trained core fundamentals to accomplish the mission.

KWA specifically designs its products to complement any law enforcement department or training program. All KWA airsoft products use 6mm low impact BBs that minimize liability and maximize cost savings, making KWA the logical choice.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    Thank you.

How is the trigger?
    it's close enough to the G19 for what I use it for. I practice draw and shoot from the hip to a gallon jug at 15'.

I use N8 Tactical holsters for the Glock and it fits those fine for practice. https://n8tactical.com/

Boolit Buddy
    For the gentleman who does not think that airsoft has any place in "real" firearms training:

https://www.trex-arms.com/videos/ceTPRqCMeC/

The gent in the white and blue shirt does far better than I could at the range. Watch him. He tears it up........ He had never fired a real firearm before. All of his skills were learned with airsoft.

I have to say that his learned skills applied wonderfully to live fire.

Take a look.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you spend the money - - - and NOT at WalMart for plastic spring-powered junk, - - - you can buy VERY realistic semi-automatic all metal Airsoft pistols. I have a SIG Sauer P229 and a 1911 that both are all metal, use propane gas for the power, have realistic magazines that hold a bunch (27) of pellets ( I only use black plastic or metal) and feel and shoot like their real cousins. I believe I paid around $140.00 each and the mags which hold the gas charge and the pellets, are about $35 each.

They claim velocities in the 300+ FPS range with full charge. A charge lasts for at least 2+ fillings of the magazine. Buy a little adapter that screws on a camping propane bottle to refill easily. You can also use the VERY expensive "green gas" they sell to power them. Only difference is these gas-powered guns get COLD when used rapidly rather than HOT like regular gunpowder pistols do. And they do NOT work well in cold winter weather because the gas in the mags will not vaporize well.

They have full realistic blow-back action and models are around that use propane or CO2 carts.

SIG Sauer Proforce P229 Green Gas Airsoft Pistol
    •Fixed Sights
    •23 round, drop-free metal magazine
    •Velocity up to 295 FPS
    •DA/SA Trigger
    •Metal Slide
    •Full Blow back
    •Field Strippable
    •Picatinny accessory rail for lights and lasers
    •Realistic weight to the firearm
    •Built in decocker
    •Official Training Pistol of the U.S. Coast Guard

(you can't get much more real that that!) A fun gun to shot IN THE BACKYARD!!!!!!!!

Check out Pyramidair.com for all your air gun needs!

banger

Boolit Master

When my agency was transitioning to G22s I purchased an airsoft that was a Glock knock-off. Of course, now Glock has a licensed airsoft as they were missing out on the training aspects. We had Glocks that fired sim rounds at work but they are spendy to shoot.

The 'glock' copy airsoft weighed the same, trigger re-set was very close, weight was the same, holster and mag holders were the same. The slide had a really weak recoil spring for obvious reasons. Mags took either green gas or propane with silicon oil and held 25 pellets.

I took a bunch of ladies who wanted some hand's on without being in front of co-workers. We cleared and emptied several real Glocks, did draw drills and mag changes for several hours in front of a mirrored wall. There was no real ammo on site, only dummy rounds. After 2 hours, pizza time. After pizza time, we put pellets down range with everyone holding 2 inches from 3 to 15 yards. Everyone passed transition including one of my sergeants who was my biggest concern.

Air soft as a training aid has it's uses just as 22lr conversions can be useful as well. Build up the muscle memory, build up the confidence.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    I opted for the iTarget laser instead of an airsoft. I can use my regular gun and holsters, practice in the house on icky days or at night, and see where I'm hitting. Great for acting home defense scenarios as well as CC draw or bullseye. All for the cost of a couple batteries every few thousand shots. The wife and I even use it with their app for some friendly target competition from time to time. Major benefit is using the actual firearm and gear that I'm trying to become proficient with. It's my SIG, in my holster, on my belt, or in my nightstand. I could use airsoft, but then CC or full size? The laser bullet allows me to use either. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to try practicing with an airsoft but took another route.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Everyone for the input.

I did also look at the laser training options. Ultimately, I decided to go with the airsoft.

I have ordered the pistol, BB's and a green gas/propane bottle adapter. $250 ....... It had better not be a kids toy

Boolit Buddy
    Ah yes, airsoft can be toys but those are the el cheapos. Since they originated in a country that has restrictive gun laws the solution was to create realistic airsoft weapons. Many locales prohibit them because they can and are mistaken for the real deal. Current law requires the florescent paint on the end of the barrel but that can and is defeated by some folks. KWA is one of the better ones and the only down side I have encountered is the 'filler' valve. They do go south but there are you tube vids on how to check them for air (gas) leaks. Tree rats in my neighborhood don't consider them toys, nor do the cats stalking the bird feeders!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

So in the month you've had it, how do you like it?