RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: U.S. Model of 1917 Enfield.

Boolit Master

U.S. Model of 1917 Enfield.

Many years ago I bought a barreled complete with all parts a U.S. 1917 Enfield rifle. And for about the next 25 years it sat in the safe. One year finished lopping off the ears and contouring the rear receiver bridge. Then all the metal work got the treatment getting it ready to go to the gunsmith for finish work on the metal,d&t work for weaver steel grand slam bases, bead blast and bluing. Bluing came out almost black. Ben a member here found a nice sporterized Canadian
    for me and I refinished it. Since all ranges are closed due to the virus I'll be prepping about a hundred LC67 cases and send an order to tom at Accurate molds one for a heavy 30 cal bullet for the '06 and another for a fat 45 rifle bullet for my carp mouthed Ruger #1 in 45/70. And hoping I can find someone to make up a series of H&I dies for my Lyman lubrisizer. And prep cases for both the Ruger and my Pedersoli 1874 sharps Infantry rifle. This quarantine is killing me. Last movie I bought 1917 stunk so bad along with the latest rendition of Midway. Don't they make any decent movies any more?. Frank

Boolit Master
    You guessed it .....every movie I see the cameraman must have Parkinsons disease,and hand hold the camera.....appeals to millenials ,so Im told......Have you ever seen the old Light Horse epic"Forty Thousand Horsemen",made today ,it would be lucky to be forty horsemen.

Boolit Grand Master

If you need custom sizes LatheSmith will make them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Over the last thirty years or so it would be my guess that Hollywood manages to turn out 3-4 good movies a year BUT if you averaged that out over the last 10 years the rate would be closer to 0.5 good movies a year.

I have no desire to watch Fast & Furious 47.
    I stopped reading comic books in grade school.
    I don't need to pay money to watch some politically correct lecture about social issues.
    Stop re-making old movies - you're ruining good movies.
    What passes for comedy these days would barely be 7th grade humor for someone with half a brain.
    A little dialog, plot and character development would preferable to explosions and a music score that you can hear from OUTSIDE the theater.

Every now and then they manage to produce a good movie but it's not very common.

Banned
    As for working on a 1917 Enfield - A FAR better use of your time. Those are excellent rifles.

Boolit Master
    Dunkirk was another one that I bought the CD and watched. Mixed reviews on some websites. I've watched the British version made years back and in black and white. No comparison between the two. The dummy spitfire with the pipe holding the propeller really did it for me. Not that they should have used a real spitfire but they could have done better. Thanks for the tip regarding Lathesmith regarding H&I dies. Frank

Super Moderator

Some M17 pics

................I had one of those for several years.

So, a Remington made action with an Eddystone barrel, but Remington operated the shop at Eddystone.

................A co-worker of mine (Jim) bought a piece of land in the desert east of me in So. California. Like a lot of "Desert Domiciles" it had a couple ramshackle outbuildings with accumulated (but valuable ) junk scattered around them. He asked me one day what kind of rifles had "Wings" on the front sight? So I went through that with him, and then the answer to my question was, "It's sticking out of a bunch of junk next to a shed. So he brought it in to work one evening. It was the Remington action with an Eddystone bbl and was all mummy wrapped in cheesecloth and dipped in "Cosmoline"?

In any event it had only a few mildly rusty spots, and luckily simple surface rust. A few days later at home I ran a 1/4" steel rod through the barrel which extruded out a string of thick grease. The Bore was perfection. Most of the rest of the hardwear was under more old rusty busted bicycles, a motor scooter, and in an old ammo can. The bayonet and scabbard was in the shed all this assorted junk was piled up against. The wood came from GPC later on. I had it for several years and it shot just fine, but I prefered Swede Mausers and my Springfield.

Not germaine but a couple years later after some pretty dense rain his "Mansion of the Mojave Desert" had a less then desirable roof on it. While pulling up soggy dirty sandy old carpet, he discovered a floor safe. After paying a locksmith $150 to come out an open it, he was rewarded with a somewhat rusty M25 S&W revolver. Needed re-bluing for sure, but the rust caused no major accuracy or safety issues. Had quite a bit of 'Character', ahem

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Nice Enfield dad had one and it was one of his favorites he shot a doe while sitting in the top of a ceder at about 300 yds. I cant remember the specifics but it was quite a distance.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Here’s my Winchester...

Bought it last year for $40 cash plus I traded a set of Warne scope rings, along with mounting them. I also stoned the trigger and polished the action on his new gun for him. I do that for free for the guy all the time. It had all the original parts put away in a zip lock bag, I removed them for him 25 years ago and mounted a timney sportsman’s trigger and a no drill scope mount at the time and a sporter stock. I sold another gun he gave me in the deal to pay for a new W stamped stock. She’s back to all original now. Fun and very accurate gun. The only parts that are not W marked are the bolt, trigger guard, and one of the swivel slings. They all have the Eddystone E stamped in them. Somebody did the parts shuffle when cleaning them at the mess haul I’m guessing. Some day I’m hoping to find a W Marked bayonet without have to refinance my house for it. With the battle peep I’m a foot high at 100 yards. With the small peep on the flip up slid all the way down I dead center at 100 yards. When adjusting the front post I put three in the same hole at 100 yards! I averaged about 2” to 2.5” groups that day with it at 100 yards. I haven’t shot open sights on a centerfire in about 30 years.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-21-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Banned
    The P14 and P17 were great rifles with a fascinating history. It's an interesting quirk of history that the "American Enfield" was somewhat derided when compared to the 03' Springfield. The production numbers of the Enfield's were far higher and it is an excellent rifle.

Were the original P14 276 caliber rifles made at Enfield in England? I have always wondered this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pattern 1913 Rifle, Made by the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield, Middlesex, 1913-1914, total production about 1,250.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Pattern 1913 Rifle, Made by the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield, Middlesex, 1913-1914, total production about 1,250.
    Yep, and there was NO WAY the British were going to adopt a new cartridge once they found themselves in the Great War. So it became the the P14 chambered in 303 and they turned to the U.S. to make it.

Thanks, gents. I like to call them the “British Mauser” as well as the “American Enfield”. They are big old neat shooters with excellent feel and sight picture ahead of its time. One was good enough for Alvin York.

One of my favourites also, here is my Winchesters in both P14 and M17. Two have a PH5B range sight, a rare accessory these days! I have others that have been 'sporterised in 303 Epps, 303/25,303/22 and 308 Winchester.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

My 17 is a Winchester. As far as I can tell, it is all original and in very nice condition.

Boolit Master
    Some mighty fine Enfields you folks have. Thanks for sharing. Frank

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I still have a no drill scope mount for mine that are removed from it before I put it all back to original. I keep kicking around the idea of putting it back on with an optic to take out hunting but I just can’t find it in my heart to do so.

Boolit Master
    Got a couple “17’s”, both bubba’ed. One wears a red field peep and one a scope.

Good rugged rifles and a can’t lose cartridge!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”