Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pellets cheaper than .22 LR

pellets cheaper than .22 LR

Has any found or have a air riffle that they use for small game?

Boolit Master
    All the time! I have squirrel hunted with an R9, Theoben Classic, Blue Streak, and several pCPs. All were fully capable at reasonable range for their sights, 35 yards for the scoped guns, say,, 20 for the Blue Streak. I am talking brain/neck shots only. Some can give info on chest shots, but I only shoot squirrels in the brain, regardless of the rifle, or pistol for that matter, so have no data.

Buy a quality springer for accuracy, velocity sells but is pretty meaningless due to 1: they use super light pellets not good for hunting, 2: accuracy is rarely there above 900fps, 3: they just lie about it. Accuracy should be in the 1/4 inch realm at 25 yards for 5 shots rested. Note, you can’t rest a springer like a firearm, soft support like you could use in the woods. They break cheap scopes, near instantly and some expensive scopes as well.

PCP is becoming reasonable priced and more available. They are more like a subsonic 22 in firing behavior. They don’t break scopes and are much easier to shoot reasonably well. Same accuracy requirements.

I am referring to 20 and 22 caliber air guns, there are larger bores but those pellets cost more than 22LR.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I have a Daystate .22 pellet rifle that will shot nearly as well as my Anschutz 22lr out to fifty yards. It will put five shots into a quarter inch center-center with certain pellets. Velocity is around 850-875 FPS with 18-20 grain pellets.

Boolit Buddy
    I have squirrel hunted with my Benjamin Marauder, the first gen wood stocked model.
    But man is that thing heavy.

Boolit Master
    Tha daystate looks like a very nice pellet rifle but for $1700 it should be. There are a lot of older very good shooting target 22 rifles including Anshutz that cost less than that. My 1919 Savage NRA rifle will shoot the right bulk 22 in 1/2" at 50 yds. My cheap Beeman (Chinese) springer 22 does well to group under 1" at 20yds with RWS Meisterkuglen which are about $.08
    each. These are the best shooters I have found for mu gun with RWS Hobby next and then Crosman premiers next. The Crosman are the only ones that are cheaper than 22 in my gun and aren't nearly as accurate.
    No way I'm going to spend $2000 for a pellet gun and pump and expensive pellets to shoot almost as good as a decent 22lr.

Boolit Master
    One thing the air gun gives over the 22LR is safety radius. I have one area on my farm that is close to other houses. A bullet, glancing off a limb could find its way off my land. I hunt that area with my air guns, no chance of a 14 gr pellet getting away.

For my uses, any air gun that won’t pot five under a dime at 25 yards is not staying around. The Blue Streak will do that , actually both the 1961 vintage and the 95 vintage will. Less than 100$ each but the 5 mm is uncommon now. Suspect a nice cross man in 22 would do as well, no personal experience there.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Tha daystate looks like a very nice pellet rifle but for $1700 it should be. There are a lot of older very good shooting target 22 rifles including Anshutz that cost less than that. My 1919 Savage NRA rifle will shoot the right bulk 22 in 1/2" at 50 yds. My cheap Beeman (Chinese) springer 22 does well to group under 1" at 20yds with RWS Meisterkuglen which are about $.08
    each. These are the best shooters I have found for mu gun with RWS Hobby next and then Crosman premiers next. The Crosman are the only ones that are cheaper than 22 in my gun and aren't nearly as accurate.
    No way I'm going to spend $2000 for a pellet gun and pump and expensive pellets to shoot almost as good as a decent 22lr.
    To bad you don’t know what you’re talking about. Yes, the Daystate is expensive, but it’s around $1,100 for the regulated top of the line model. I have no idea where you’re getting that info. For around $700 you can get a Benjamin Marauder with a Walther-Lothar barrel and a Huma regulator (same as the Daystate) and it will shoot almost as good. Check out Airguns of Arizona

Boolit Master
    Most modern airguns are good for small game and seriously accurate, whether spring powered (most affordable) or PCP, you'll be hunting and shooting small game all you want and very accurately. I'd suggest that you check out some bigger airgun forums such as "gateway to airguns". I suggest that you don't cheap out on a new gun, it's prolly the only way you won't enjoy the experience. My Suggestions are: HW 95 springer if you can afford it, Diana 34 if you can't, you can't go wrong with any HW spring gun. Check out " airguns of Arizona".

Thank you, I will look into. I learned to shoot on a bb gun, who knew that they would have come this far.
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Wow, was not expecting that kind of price tag. But will look into some of the less expensive ones
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

If you have a lot of money and don't mind spending it, there are a lot of high end air rifles you will be happy with.
    If you want to shoot some squirrels and chucks and don't have a lot of money you can do well with a lot more inexpensive rifle.
    I have a Hatsan Mod 135 QE Vortex that is about as high end as I ever want to get with an air rifle.
    I got it from Midway, I think I paid about $235.00 for it. Put a Hammers 3 x 9 x 32 airgun scope on it for another $60.00 off the E-bay.
    Cheap, effective and a hoot to shoot.
    The .25 cal pellets cost a little more than the .177 or the .22 pellets but they sure hit hard.

Boolit Master
    I did a google search and that was the price that was shown from Arizona air guns which is the closest dealer to me at about 1000 miles. It was a Wolverine Hi lite for $1695 and then there is the pump. I have no idea if you can get them a lot cheaper or not but even $1100 is still quite a bit more than a good shooting 22lr.
    I can understand getting a good shooting air gun for shooting where you have close neighbors. I have no need for one as I can shoot a 22lr or a 300mag in my front yard.
    I do have an early blue streak that shoots fair and a newer crosman 177 version that is not so accurate but beyond 20/25 yds my Rem 700V in 223 works extremely well.
    The ppc guns interest me but not at that kind of money.

Boolit Master
    PCPs are costly because you need a scope, an air tank($700), fills,etc, prolly better off with a good springer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    PCPs are costly because you need a scope, an air tank($700), fills,etc, prolly better off with a good springer.
    Yep...or stay with the .22LR unless noise and safety are primary concerns. Shooting critters is not ammunition intensive so it is difficult to justify a new toy to save money. And target shooting with a springer is a PITA...I have an RWS35 I rarely use as it is not fun to cock it for every shot. Good quality pellets will run about 50% of the cost of .22's (when you buy .22's on sale), have far less killing power. less range, and are more affected by wind.

BTW, nothing wrong with getting a new toy, but look at the numbers and if you have the chance, shoot both a springer and PCP first.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    My Diana 34 .177 tuned to 12ftlb does the trick quite well. Bought it 2nd hand a few years ago and it dates 1986 or 1988 (can't quite make it out)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4367.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	266378

I have shot many cottontails and squirrels up to 50 yards with the Sheridan Blue Streak.

I like that you get to control the power level. The vast majority of my shooting with it was done with 2 or 3 pumps. Going to fur I add one, 10=15 yards longer range I add one.

So where you were popping Grackles off a highline wire with head shots at 2 pumps. For Cottontail in momma's flower bed at double the distance I'd go to 4.
    Granted changing power does change trajectory "some".

I always took head shots. I never had a rabbit fail to go belly up providing you do your part.

Sheridan Blue Streaks are still out there for 100-150$ and Benjamin makes a .22 that is a virtual clone of it. Maybe not quite the same level of workmanship as those old Sheridans. But not bad.

If you go to the Dark side (PCP) it will cost you more. And some of the manufactures spring and vortex guns are approaching .22lr speeds if not energy.
    Like the Hatsan 135 QE which will do mid 900's fps with standart 14 g pellets.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I was making my pilgrimage into the Local Dunhams Store and noticed that they had gotten in some 22 Cal pellets, 500 for about $16, they are the Premier dome top hollow point pellets that I have been shooting and they seem to be pretty good for my purposes.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Like GhostHawk, I second the vote for an old Sheridan or a Benjamin 392 for small game hunting.
    Light weight, accurate, plenty of power, carry all day hunters. I just sent a “new to me” 392 pa off to Mac1 airguns for the steroid treatment. Should come back to me a power house of a pump air rifle.
    As far as squirrel hunting goes, i’ve Done a lot of that the last three years with my little $35.00 daisy 880’s out to 30 yds. or so. Don’t let the price fool you, with a couple of easy to do mods they can hold their own in the accuracy dept. I have 4 of them, my brother has 2 and not a bad bbl. in all 6.

Boolit Buddy
    The Sheridan is a nice close range hunting arm. But I prefer my Weirauch HW97K in.22 or .20. It’s not the most powerful airgun, nor the lightest either but it is consistent and with good optics and pellets it likes is deadly to the extent of reasonable airgun range exactly as it comes from the factory. No expensive tunes, no tanks or pumps or so help me 1000 air compressors. Just easy cocking consistent accuracy and power in an arm that’s also nice to look at.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Like GhostHawk, I second the vote for an old Sheridan or a Benjamin 392 for small game hunting.
    Light weight, accurate, plenty of power, carry all day hunters. I just sent a “new to me” 392 pa off to Mac1 airguns for the steroid treatment. Should come back to me a power house of a pump air rifle.
    As far as squirrel hunting goes, i’ve Done a lot of that the last three years with my little $35.00 daisy 880’s out to 30 yds. or so. Don’t let the price fool you, with a couple of easy to do mods they can hold their own in the accuracy dept. I have 4 of them, my brother has 2 and not a bad bbl. in all 6.
    I hear you. I cobbled together a custom 880 from a new plastic receiver version to which I mounted the metal receiver and pump arm from an old worn out early model.
    By wrapping the barrel with tape to give it a snug fit in the barrel jacket I found sub dime sized groups at 25 yards to be the norm. I never use BBs in it, only high quality pellets to avoid damaging the rifling. I use 12 pumps rather than the recommended ten.

I found that one can get a good trigger pull by pressing the trigger while the safety is on to take out the slack then putting it in firing mode to take the shot.

I've only used it for pest control but it kills a large rat instantly with a body shot so taking rabbits with a head shot should be easy.
    I use only Beeman coated wad cutters in this rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast