WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: squib loads in 1885 reproduction

Boolit Buddy

squib loads in 1885 reproduction

I have a high wall 1885 single shot reproduction in 30 06 and would like to shoot some cast bullets without gas checks (can’t afford them) at about 1300 fps. I am 85 now and a little tired of getting kicked........I thought I would like to pretend it was a 32 40 and see if I could group at 50 or 100 yards. Maybe I could use 4227.
    But, I am concerned about using squib loads in a 30 06 and have heard that it might be dangerous to go this route. Could I use some dacron or something like it to help the powder stay anywhere near the primer? I sure would like some advice on wheather to do this or not, and if so, how to avoid any problems and maybe some suggestions on powder. Any help would be appreciated. The only experience I have is with an old Marlin Ballard in 45 100 that I use to breech seat the bullets in, and use blace powder. It shot pretty well at 100 but it sure kicked the snot out of me. (I was a lot younger then)
    Anyway would like you comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. Thanks for your help in advance.........
    Catch

Boolit Master
    Just use the Lyman loads for the 30-06 in your rifle. I used them in a Savage 110 with excellent results.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it could be done. I saw a guy a few years ago shooting breech seated plain base cast bullets in a .30-06.

Chris.

I added iron sights to my 30-06 Browning Model 1885 and load 30-30 bullets at 2100 fps. They are very mild, and I think you would like shooting my loads. I use H4895 and Hodgdon's reduced load formula.

Boolit Master

13.0 gr. of A2400 with anything in the way of a 150-180 gr. boolit should get you off to a good start. When the doctors allowed me a limited return to shooting after my open heart surgery, I was loading 13.4 gr. A2400 under a powder-coated Lyman 311466 (w/o GC or filler). From my Savage M10LE in .308, 100-yd accuracy was nearly as good as my 'regular' .308 CB load but with much less recoil.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I shot a lot of lead out of 30/06. All my fooling around were light bullets at 1000-1200 FPS range.
    Shot everything from 308” ball to 115 gr 32/20 cast FN sized. All done in Bolt Action rifles. The 115gr FN out of Rem 721/ 4x scope would do squirrel head at 40yds. I have to go back to notes for powder and charge. Back then was using a lot of IMR-4198, 2400 and other shotgun powders for light loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot a few different loads from my -06 using the 311-466 and the 311-465 over 17.5 -20.0 grains of 2400 with a tuft of bamboo filling in for kapok as a filler. the lighter boolit did very well with 18.0 grains as I recall. These loads will shoot lower than your standard, jacketed loads, but you should be able to get a load that will shoot to the limit of your ability.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Catch,

Here is a link to one of the stickies with an awful lot of good info for cast in the 06. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

Good luck,

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. Now I'll really have somewhere to start having a good time...................

Boolit Grand Master

Either 6 to 10 grains of Unique or 10 to 12 or so of Red Dot will work just fine with a 160 to a 190 grain bullet. This is all my Heym Mannlicher rifle has ever shot.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Catch View Post
    Thanks guys. Now I'll really have somewhere to start having a good time...................
    Catch - you mention the powder 4227. I have had great load accuracy with this powder in the 30-06.
    Cast bullets in the 160 to 180 grain range powered by 17grs, more or less, was a very accurate combo. My bullet designs called for Gas Checks and I just used them, so I don't know about the accuracy with out the GC.
    Good luck and have FUN!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Trailboss works decently too. It is expensive for what you get though.

I was shooting round balls with trailboss in my .38-55 high wall.

2400 and 4227 were the canonical powders for light loads in the .30-06 when we were youngsters. I didn't have a .30-06 then, and Dad wouldn't let me use his.

In much more recent years I have played only with heavy bullets in the .30-06, and not much at that. Being a devotee of Blue Dot for many things, I tried that in lieu of 2400. The only load I recorded was 18 grains, but with a gas checked bullet. If I had to try again with a plain base, I'd try Red Dot because it's fluffy and ignites so easily that a filler shouldn't be needed. Somewhere around ten grains ought to do it. Beware of double charging, of course. You will be pleased at how little muzzle blast you get from that kind of load in a rifle.

The usual cautions about using pistol primers and opening flash holes up to .100" to prevent shoulder setback apply.

If you decide to try a filler, don't use dacron fiber in such light loads. It won't burn completely, and the burned-on residue is well-nigh impossible to get out of your barrel. Don't ask how I know . . . . . I'll cry on your shoulder for half an hour. Find a source for kapok fiber instead. If you can't find any on evilBay, send me a P/M - I've got enough left for another lifetime or two, since age handicaps limit me to shooting .22s and pistol-caliber single shots in the back yard.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I'll second red dot for light loads. They are a real pleasure to shoot.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting an 03a3 and m1917 both in milsurp matches, I've not had much luck at 1300 fps, but with 165 to 180 gr plain base 1050 to 1250 is golden, 7.5 of fast powder, that's bulls eye up to green dot, necks opened up to .310 using .311 bullets will hit the 10 ring, bullet inspecting and sorting a must

Bill

Boolit Master
    I've used Red Dot and IMR 4227 for my 308 granted not an '06 but the same idea low recoil cheap shotting. As far as the gas checks check Sage's his check are as good as hornandy and half the price.

I'd get a copy of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1, and check the various cast loads for the .30-06 cartridge. A lot of great loads for numerous weight bullets, and many wont require stuffing filler in the cases, and chance it being in different positions each time.