RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Vibration to Settle Black Powder

Boolit Master
    And then you have the 30 inch drop tube going into the brass case sitting on a vibrating base curtsy of attached electric razor. Works great !

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Thanks for stirring this up - I will test it for sure - drop tubing is the one part of reloading I dont enjoy ------------------
    While you are at it, set one up for "tapping" the base of the case a few times too.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    While you are at it, set one up for "tapping" the base of the case a few times too.
    Jack - Yep, done that too. Several years back there was a 45-70 match shooter at the Raton BPCR target matches who was a tapper... and if I remember was in the top 5
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I love drop tubing and vibrating at the same time. If you can win without either, by all means go for it. But I like my set up just fine and it tends to work pretty well, especially if "consistent" is an important adjective to your reloading results. Also helps fit 80+ grains of powder into a.45-70 shell. I just built a second vibrating drop tube to work with my wad seating and compression die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I love drop tubing and vibrating at the same time. If you can win without either, by all means go for it. But I like my set up just fine and it tends to work pretty well, especially if "consistent" is an important adjective to your reloading results. Also helps fit 80+ grains of powder into a.45-70 shell. I just built a second vibrating drop tube to work with my wad seating and compression die.

these discussions always generate something useful even if there is disagreement along the way - my shoulder aches from holding high and slow pouring into the funnel on the drop tube - that second offset funnel might do the trick - thanks Brent

Boolit Master
    IJ,
    my second droptube has only one funnel but the neat part is that I just dump the powder into the top funnel, however many there are, and flip the switch on the vibrating device. That keeps the powder flowing while I go about measuring the next charge of powder. So, I get the slow pour effect without having to hold my hand up there pouring it myself.

I also mount the drop tube to a table with a clamp on that block on the left side in the above picture. That keeps the funnels at about eye level. No straining. Makin' it easy but consistent is what it's all about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12