RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who did you feed today?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    ... hope if was me and mine I like to think someone would do same, its really easy to be kind.
    And it's much better when it's in person, one on one, not by some jaded and indifferent government agency team of drones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    And it's much better when it's in person, one on one, not by some jaded and indifferent government agency team of drones.
    That's what I am talking about. I don't know why this thread went down the politics dirt road. Are you a member of your community and do you help take care of your neighbors who need help. That should not be the governments job, it is ours. I gave another bag of food to the food pantry today.

After Katrina a church in St. Louis sent a crew down to my town to help clear debris and such. I knew one of the crew and they were tent camping at a local church of their denomination. They were roughing it so I told them to come by my place and they could shower watch some tube and chill while we grilled some food. I still had one big limb down in the yard that I had not removed. They wanted to clear it for me and I told them to save their energy for someone else as I could handle it but they would not take no for an answer. This kind of fellowship and charity and desire to be of service is something we need to recapture in this country. Too many people look to the government for answers. WRONG!!!

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    To me, the questions asked in Post #1 are a personal thing.

They certainly are food for thought that make one review their thoughts and actions on those issues.

The question that comes to my mind is does one do those things for a self centered reason.
    That is, are you doing those charitible acts to make YOURSELF feel good because you did those things?

Such as, after reading those questions in Post #1 one may think "Oh!,....no, I haven't been doing those things...I probably should."
    That gets into a bit of psychology, and I'm not a psychologist but the reason one does charitable acts should come from the heart and sometimes it can be a spontaneous situation where you see someone in need and you act on it in a non-self centered manner.

My opinion: Be charitable from the heart but keep it to yourself and don't brag about it.
    By bragging it puts it back on you as you doing it for selfish reasons.

Yep we got professional beggars here to i think they get kicked out of wa and id then come to mt ya start seeing em in the spring and they migrate west or something in the fall. Told a few of em that we was hiring down at the mill. Boy if looks could kill. So i no longer offer em a job. Worthless bunch i tell ya
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I grow two large gardens that help feed us. My extended family, many who are willing to come to the harvest, and a few who aren't able to pick veggies I deliver to. I do this because I enjoy growing things and sharing my blessings. I actually had a fellow say to me one time, "why do you grow that garden? I can buy those veggies down at the frozen food locker cheaper than you can grow them!". My reply was, yes, but you can't give away as much as I do every season. My take is God gives me stewardship over things. It's up to me to use them for good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    ... "why do you grow that garden? I can buy those veggies down at the frozen food locker cheaper than you can grow them!". My reply was, yes, but you can't give away as much as I do every season. My take is God gives me stewardship over things. It's up to me to use them for good.
    You are commendable for a labor of love requiring hundreds of hours of commitment each year.

Knowing people who are fortunate enough to have more money than they need buying an occasional bag of food and carrying it all the way to a food bank for others to hand out is neither physically demanding nor meaningful time intensive nor costly to them but ... I guess it sounds good; better than doing nothing.

* A total aside: Anyone living near Titusville, FL, should check out the Westside Baptist church, I know it used to be a good one. And, any gunners in the area should check out the Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club, they're good guys with a great all-around shooting facility just a few miles east of Mims.

Boolit Master
    I do believe that the majority of the panhandlers that I see,when I am in the city on my parts route, are just what they are "urban outdoorsmen" because I have seen the same guy's over and over in different locations sometimes just standing and other times (same guy) faking a disability. Once I even confronted one at a public paid entry event (he had several of his collegues who I also recognized with him ) He just laughed it off saying it was a a taxfree partime job. Its hard sometimes to distinguish Need from Greed I try to give benefit of doubt.

Boolit Master
    You are commendable for a labor of love requiring hundreds of hours of commitment each year.

Knowing people who are fortunate enough to have more money than they need buying an occasional bag of food and carrying it all the way to a food bank for others to hand out is neither physically demanding nor meaningful time intensive nor costly to them but ... I guess it sounds good; better than doing nothing.

* A total aside: Anyone living near Titusville, FL, should check out the Westside Baptist church, I know it used to be a good one. And, any gunners in the area should check out the Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club, they're good guys with a great all-around shooting facility just a few miles east of Mims.
    I was a member of that club and enjoyed their bench rest matches

Tim

Boolit Master
    ........Knowing people who are fortunate enough to have more money than they need buying an occasional bag of food and carrying it all the way to a food bank for others to hand out is neither physically demanding nor meaningful time intensive nor costly to them but ... I guess it sounds good; better than doing nothing........
    Yes, it is such a small thing a lot more people should be doing it. If a lot more people did a few more small things it would change the world.

Tim

Boolit Master
    I spent time in the third world and have seen poverty first hand. People who worked for us on one project made $300.00 a month and worked 10+ hours a day and did so without complaint. With the opportunities that America provides, if the American poor worked half as hard as people in the third world are willing to do, they would no longer be poor.

We have sponsored kids through Compassion International for well over 20 years and will likely continue doing so.

One side anecdote about CI. We had one girl, Angela, that we had sponsored since she was 4. When she hit 15, she suddenly dropped out of the program. As mentioned, I've been in the third world in South America and have seen many young girls pregnant at 15 or 16. Sadly, those young girls make better mothers than many American women. I contacted Compassion about why she had left the program suspecting that she had gotten pregnant. I suspected that they might try to brush it under the carpet. It will sound judgemental, but I can see many "church lady" types having a hard time coming to grips with their little sponsored girl having gotten pregnant. One of Compassion's field agents, from Ecuador of all places, called me and we talked for quite a while. Angela had just completed the program and was doing very well. They told me that girls do get pregnant and they contact the sponsors and are very out in the open with them about it. We also talked about an area in Ecuador between Salinas and Manta where they had an outreach specifically for poor young mothers. I had even been through the small village a couple of times.
    Well, I opened the can of worms, so I had to pay the piper. and from that day on, added that project to my monthly bill.

Boolit Master
    I get phone call almost every day from people wanting donations, I tell them I would love to help out, tell me where I can go and donate my time to a worthwhile effort, well they can't cuz they are calling from India or some other far off place.
    I make my donations in person in form of food or other needed stuff to elderly not so well off neighbors or the local church

Moderator Emeritus

Christ gave us directions and advice to guide our walk through this life, and to govern our actions when we're confronted with opportunities to serve Him. He never intended for us to go about willy nilly seeking someone to donate to. Your view of Christ, the church and Christian faith is rather warped, sir. But you can't confuse or bewilder one who understands our Lord. That will never come about. I think you just like to argue, and if you don't have someone to argue with, you probably argue with yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Christ gave us directions and advice to guide our walk through this life, and to govern our actions when we're confronted with opportunities to serve Him. He never intended for us to go about willy nilly seeking someone to donate to. Your view of Christ, the church and Christian faith is rather warped, sir. But you can't confuse or bewilder one who understands our Lord. That will never come about. I think you just like to argue, and if you don't have someone to argue with, you probably argue with yourself.
    This has nothing to do with being Christian. It has to do with being a good person. I did not mention Christian, Christ, God or Jesus at all in this thread. It is about a Philosophy of Life, the Golden Rule. Wouldn't you want someone to help you feed your family if you were struggling. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Pay it forward, if someone fed you in the past then feed someone else now or in the future. It never hurts to build good Karma.

I know that many people look at everything thru the lens of the Bible. I think that is a very narrow minded view.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post

I know that many people look at everything thru the lens of the Bible. I think that is a very narrow minded view.

Tim
    I'm happy to say you're right this one time! This isn't about "feel good about yourself" philosophy: Straight is the way, narrow is the gate, etc.

Boolit Master
    Here in the old folks home town I met a guy who really really shouldn't drive, so I told him call me. I'll take you. You see these geezers driving and say they are a menace. They are. So pick them up and take them to the doctor. America is based on cars, driving, who is going to drive you when you can't? I call it driving miss daisy. Anybody anywhere. I have seen you drive. Don't. Christian or practical? Just get them off the road. Drive them. My grandfather was a chauffeur, I was born to it.
    Don't like their driving?
    They are doing the best they can.
    You can do better.
    You know who. Go get them. Dentist. Doctors. Dennys. Do it.
    Give em a brake when you meet em hey! they can't see you.
    No! they should not be driving. Go get them.
    Works for me. Who is going to drive for you or me, one day? Uber?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Here in the old folks home town I met a guy who really really shouldn't drive, so I told him call me. I'll take you. You see these geezers driving and say they are a menace. They are. So pick them up and take them to the doctor. America is based on cars, driving, who is going to drive you when you can't? I call it driving miss daisy. Anybody anywhere. I have seen you drive. Don't. Christian or practical? Just get them off the road. Drive them. My grandfather was a chauffeur, I was born to it.
    Don't like their driving?
    They are doing the best they can.
    You can do better.
    You know who. Go get them. Dentist. Doctors. Dennys. Do it.
    Give em a brake when you meet em hey! they can't see you.
    No! they should not be driving. Go get them.
    Works for me. Who is going to drive for you or me, one day? Uber?
    Good points. We have a service, free service in town. It is called Go Stat. They will take the old and disabled to the Doctor, I don't know if they will take them to the store and I am sure they don't do Denny's. My wife is 20 years younger than me so I hope I can keep her happy and will stick around to drive me places when I am too old to drive.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Takes a lot of time to get these old folks (I'm an old folk!) anywhere.
    Patience and understanding. I followed this one home, you woulda called the cops. He's not impaired, he can't see. People get behind them, can't get around them: they are only doing the speed limit. They can't breathe in a mask, can't get to the supermarket, or carry groceries. Feed my sheep.
    I am happy to help, and you might check the geezers around you, this mask thing is starving them, isolated, alone. What good is money, if you can't spend it? Great speech in "Breakfast Club": are these kids going to take care of us? Don't count on it. Not likely. We must take care of each other.
    Fun to round up a bunch and go to Dennys, now that its open again.
    James 1:27. Do it.

Boolit Master
    Takes a lot of time to get these old folks (I'm an old folk!) anywhere.
    Patience and understanding. I followed this one home, you woulda called the cops. He's not impaired, he can't see. People get behind them, can't get around them: they are only doing the speed limit. They can't breathe in a mask, can't get to the supermarket, or carry groceries. Feed my sheep.
    I am happy to help, and you might check the geezers around you, this mask thing is starving them, isolated, alone. What good is money, if you can't spend it? Great speech in "Breakfast Club": are these kids going to take care of us? Don't count on it. Not likely. We must take care of each other.
    Being able to do more with a computer and internet could save these people. Order meals and groceries delivered, even do doctors appointments over the computer and get your medicines delivered. Use See You See Me type video conferences to see and chat with friends and family. Mostly I like to text and e-mail but with some older people you want to see them to make sure they are well and taking care of themselves and of course with kids you want to see them as they grow up and seeing kids smile can make your day.

I used to drive 60 miles on most days now I drive less than 10. My mom used to drive to town once a week and it was only a few miles. Be careful being in a bunch, make sure everyone is careful with their contacts so your bubble does not become infected.

Tim

Boolit Master
    .... are these kids going to take care of us? Don't count on it. Not likely. We must take care of each other.
    As an example of loving "liberal" politics (i.e., our panic stricken fake news media and power mad Democrats) my nearest Denny's is closed and will not re-open, at least not as a Denny's.

Sadly, Denny's isn't the only business that has been destroyed in this punishing experiment by our dominate political "master" class.
    Obozo made many promises in 2008 but the only one he kept was to "remake America" (in his own image of course) and, as everyone with a brain warned, the results have not been pretty!

I thank God for our politically gutsy Trump and the still growing resurgence of common sense (i.e., conservative) political understanding.

America's rudder has been deliberately broken and we are broached in a bitterly tossed civil sea but we have not yet been sunk. We have a much better captain now but he needs a better crew to help right our still sinking ship of state. We need to vote - again - as if our children's lives depend on it, because they do!

God save the USA from stupid "lib" politicians of any party who are determined to kill infants on a whim but don't even know which public potty they should use - and they don't want the rest of us to know either!
    Last edited by 1hole; 08-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    In Pima county most sitdown restaurants are open at half capacity, probably never will reopen the buffets. My church is open, most are closed. Locking out old folks does a lot of harm. Everybody needed a haircut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12