WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Workshop, Finally!

Boolit Master

New question: Concrete floor finishing

The floor will be garage finished concrete. I'm looking for suggestions from people with experience in clear, slick sealers/finishes like some of the big box stores use. I don't want to paint the floor with epoxy or other paint products; just looking for something to keep the concrete from making its own dust and to make it easier to clean. My last shop is New Mexico had some insulated, air conditioned finished rooms within it but 2/3 of the space was just a metal building that let the dirt and dust in every time the wind blew hard. We had about 10 calm days a year. The floor was always gritty and everything in the shop that wasn't in the rooms had a layer of dirt and dust on it when we moved out. I'm done with that and just want a reasonably clean shop environment.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    The back panel will be 50% covered by the fixed cleats, the rest will be covered by movable cleats and shelves. The back panel could be 3/8 sheer with better wood in front.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I rarely use adhesives that are flammable. My favorite glues are the Titebond series for both big stuff and the airplanes. I use epoxy when necessary; very little of anything else.
    Dad got me into Titebond and Epoxy but he was using a lot of Zap in later years. I've still got the lacquer thinner jar for rescuing sticky fingers.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Construction started today

The location of the shop behind the existing garage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1824R.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	266497

Removing the brick veneer where the shop will attach

Name:	IMG_1826R.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	266499

Big pile of concrete from the old concrete slab that had to come out

Name:	IMG_1828R.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	266502
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Weather delays! First, an unexpected thunder storm dumped 1.1" of rain in about 45 minutes last Saturday while the concrete guys were trenching for the beams. The rain came so fast that the trenches started slumping. As of Monday morning Marco was a concern but looks like it will be nothing for us. Now Laura is threatening but looks like it will probably go in closer to Cameron/Lake Charles, about 95 miles to the east. I hope wherever it hits the damage is minimal. I've experienced hurricanes since Carla in 1961 and don't wish them on anyone. We'll start again after Laura has left the area.

Boolit Master
    Seal the new concrete with a clear sealer. My basement shop has held up well when house was built, nine years ago. Built a detached garage, two years ago, everyone comments on how nice the floor is. Same concrete contractor, did both.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Winelover,

Do you have a recommendation for a sealer? That has been my plan from the beginning but I have no idea which ones are good. I would like to have a shiny floor that’s easy to clean and easy to repair if the finish is damaged.

Boolit Master

talk to your concrete supplier, not the contractor but the actual batch plant, they will have all kinds of choices for a sealer and will be better quality than hd or lowes.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on getting closer to building a new shop! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

My shop is a steel building and I framed up 2X4's between the pearlings and then mounted 1/4in pegboard on them. Yeah, the pegs come out sometime but I can live with that. They make a plastic keeper for them that works marginally well. With a little patience you can work a ZipTie or wire through the holes to hold it in. Well, maybe more than a "little" patience but it can be done.

I have wired a lot of farm shops in my career. Most of them are steel buildings and anywhere from 40X60 to 120X180 ft, and some bigger. A lot of them use the same steel siding on the inside thats on the outside, up to the first pearling. That works well for them and you can mount your heavy stuff to the pearlings.

I wired one shop where the owner painted the floor with a gritty like epoxy and while it looks and wears nicely its hard to sweep or blow off.

Overall, you plan sounds like it will make a nice shop. I know you are excited.I have enjoyed following CountryGents build.

Boolit Master

Thanks, Lightman. This is the toughest shop build of the four I’ve done. Between creating the design to have just barely enough headroom in the “storage loft” to getting the building permit as an amateur to finding a suitable contractor it was a lot of work just to get to signing a contract. The exterior has to be compatible with the architecture of the house. I have the skills to do most of the work; just don’t want to spend a year doing it. I enjoy wiring but the crew will get it done in a day or two. We’ll see in the morning how the sand for the foundation fares. Laura is making landfall about 70 miles east of us and its west side is small so there may not be much impact. We have several days of thunderstorms unrelated to the hurricane forecast after the storm passes. Once the earthwork is covered with concrete the situation should stabilize.

Boolit Master
    To the OP,

I hope you all are safe and that your project is not damaged!

Prayers sent to all about to be affected!

Thre44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Winelover,

Do you have a recommendation for a sealer? That has been my plan from the beginning but I have no idea which ones are good. I would like to have a shiny floor that’s easy to clean and easy to repair if the finish is damaged.
    Sorry, I don't know the name of the sealer. Came in a black five gallon pail. Stunk to high heavens, for a few days. Take rancher's recommendation.

Winelover

Boolit Master

What makes people think this is okay?

We had a big surprise when we looked outside this morning. The contractor hadn't been called, the framer hadn't been called and we didn't hear the doorbell or any noise. What kind of stupid would make someone thing this is OK? Two cars inside. SWMBO has trouble getting into the pickup.

Name:	IMG_1905R.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	267230 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1906R.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	267231

Boolit Master
    Brilliant! Lumberyard needs to send the forklift back. The plywood couldn't have been rolled off.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    To the OP,

I hope you all are safe and that your project is not damaged!

Prayers sent to all about to be affected!

Thre44s
    Thank you! The storm went in, as we all know now, in the Lake Charles area. We got a 20 mph breeze and not a drop of rain. Prayers to the people affected for a fast recovery.

I've been busy and worn out from watching over the project. It's surprising how tiring it is just to keep up with other people working. More progress and decisions have been made. The structure is up and the roof is on. The framers/roofers did a great job of tying the new structure into the existing garage and the shingles matched the existing roof perfectly as it was only 10 months old. The ceilings on both floors will be sheet rock and the walls will be birch plywood finished with clear water based polyurethane. Electrical rough-in starts tomorrow. The upstairs area will be a mix of storage and another work area. Headroom in the center is about 6'4" and I'm 5'8" so I'll have good space available. I'll set the reloading bench even with where my head meets the sloping ceiling. That will give room for all of my single stage presses, the Dillon 550 and the casting bench. I'm going to have to figure out how to use the 650 sitting down. I've never done that before. There's just no headroom for the case feeder at a standing bench. I had the roofers set a vent in the roof so I can hook up a bathroom vent fan. I'll set it into a home built vent hood. That should help with fluxing smoke.

Name:	2020-09-14 Framing and Sheathing.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	267850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-14 Stairs 2.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	267851 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-14 Upstairs.jpg 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	267852 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-16 Sheathed and Roofed.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	267853

Boolit Master

Nothing much to show but progress is good. The Hardi-Plank is up, wiring is roughed in and passed the inspection. Most of the insulation went in today, to be finished and inspected tomorrow afternoon. Maybe paint on the exterior tomorrow. Pictures again after paint.

Boolit Master

No joy on paint today but the insulation got finished and the inspector signed off on it. The skies look sketchy to be painting. The forecast for tomorrow is encouraging. The drywall should go on the ceilings tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Really looking nice! Bet you're getting excited to get in and start enjoying it!

Boolit Master

Getting Close to Finishing

It's been busy around here. Lots of progress has been made. Hurricane Delta is passing to the east today. Prayers for the poor people that are getting hit for the second time this year. Work is slow today because even though it only got to 74° today the humidity was 90%. That is not good working conditions. It should be ready for the floor finish sometime next week. The birch plywood walls are in. No issue with the building code since they are over 1/4" thick. Final electrical is scheduled for tomorrow. Two rows of lights are in and two more in the middle will be installed. I bought a 10 pack of 8' Barrina LED lights from Amazon. The output is tremendous. Electrical consumption is 72 watts each. I'm sure the windows will glow at night like a garage in a science fiction movie. The reloading room is upstairs and I ended up with about 4" more headroom than expected. Someone 6' tall can walk around easily. The walls are finished in water based polyurethane. With 2x6 studs the structure is really solid feeling. I hope the R-19 insulation and plywood will help contain the sounds of saws and routers. The torsion box door is for access to the attic in the garage to which the shop is attached. That will eliminate having to use the marginal pull-down attic ladder as I get older. It got insulation in the cavities before I closed it up. It's an incredibly stiff and strong structure for a door. It's made of the same plywood as the walls so while it's not invisible, it does blend in well. It's pretty exciting to see the end of the build nearing.

Name:	Outside East Wall.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	269098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outside West Wall.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	269099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torsion box door.jpg 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	269100 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall with window.jpg 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	269101 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walls finished.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	269102

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! Looks like you are on the homeward stretch and it won't be long and you'll be organizing everything in it. Those light ought to really be nice when you're working in it. Good lighting is one of the most important features of any shop/

Boolit Master

Thanks, BBB. Got the 110V electrical completed today. Last night I added the third of four rows of LEDs for the first floor. Might need sunscreen. Love it! Will add some trim tomorrow and in the coming days the floor will be etched and coated with Eagle solvent based acrylic finish for easy cleaning. The 240V outlets will be installed in their boxes in a few days and the AC mini-split heads are all here so I should be finished shortly. That means I get to start all over again by building cabinets and workbenches. I've noticed that the plywood vendors on Facebook Marketplace have not raised their prices like the big box stores have on lumber and plywood so I may substitute 2 layers of ply for 2x4s where I can. Sure, the techniques are a little different but I can build what I want without breaking into my 401K. At Lowe's yesterday a 2x4x8' was $5.88. Sorry; I don't want to pay that for a cheap board. I can get 3/4" ply for $32-$35/sheet with a birch veneer and 1/2" Baltic birch is $18.50 for a 5x5 sheet. No need to pay big box store prices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast