Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: H4831SC powder useless to me?

Boolit Buddy

H4831SC powder useless to me?

My only rifle is an AR and my only rifle bullet/boolit projects are:

-typical 55gn FMJ
    -some PC cast boolit experiments (meant to result in usable/accurate ammo)
    -50gn varmint grenade or similar

is H4831SC something I can use? I bought a pound of it on impulse without knowing anything about it. Should I trade it for some H335?

Boolit Buddy

H4831 is a great powder for cartridges like the 270 Winchester. It is considered to be a slower burning powder. WW748 is a great powder for the 5.56 as in H335. H4831 is too slow for the 5.56 cartridge.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

For a 5.56/223 H4831 is too slow. I would trade for something that I could use.

Boolit Grand Master

Either that or buy another gun! It is a great powder for the 25-06, for example.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

It will go bang. My only concern is the increased port pressure for the gas system. I don't know how tolerant AR's are of such things.

Boolit Master
    excellent powder for 100 grain loads in 243 win but if you can trade it for 335 you sure can use that in your 223 or5.56

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I hate to break it to you, but you need to go buy more guns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd trade/sell it and look for something more appropriate for 5.56...That is, if you can find something more appropriate to buy or find someone willing to trade AR-appropriate powder for what you have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, it is useless for your rifle. BTW, even if someone were suggest a load would you be foolish enough to try it?

Always go to a reliable source for load information. The manufacturers want to sell powders and provide information for free on their websites. Many manuals are a good source if you want to make the investment.

With the current supply situation in some areas, it would be wise to make up a list of "recommended" powders for your needs so you know what to buy if/when the opportunity presents itself. Powder cannot be shipped without HazMat so you will need to find a local person to sell or trade it to.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I have found 4831 with heavy for caliber cast to be a fine way to launch them.
    But I have to agree the AR gas system may be a big issue.
    Best solution is the adjustable port for a reloader. Then every powder will get the right amount of PSI into the little tube.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you should have bought the H335.....that being said I'd not even waste my time and even any of those fmj's loading them over that powder. If you lived close to me I'd trade you straight across for a lb of H335 or AA 2230.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla