Graf & SonsInline FabricationBallisti-CastLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2StainLess Steel Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ray's Sport Shop - NJ

RIP Ray's Sport Shop - NJ

I was back east for Thanksgiving & I stopped in at Ray's Sport Shop on Rt. 22. Dwight was guarding the front door & only letting L.E.O.'s in. He had a little sign posted that simply said the owners had decided to close. After all these years, I can't believe a place that big, that well stocked & with that big of a police customer list is closing down. My little brother still has a gift certificate from that place. I guess that the certificate is just wall paper now.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Thats a shame. Arjays sportsman shop (Atlantic Highlands NJ) closed last year-been in business since his father started selling milsurp just after WWII. I don't figure the political climate in this state helps any!!!....Bill
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

Don't feel to bad for ray's, he sold to the Nissan dealer for 12 mil.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Good for him!!! Arjays still had a "for sale" sign in the door as of late fall and he closed early spring. Haven't heard anything since.

Boolit Master

I'm not mad, I'd have probably done the same thing. I sure as hell dont feel bad for him though.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

sportsmans shop in Neptune went a few months ago too. The old guy (must have been 90, really) finally passed. His family had no interest in the shop. It didn't have alot, but it was a mile from my house.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Awwww Shoot......That was my "go-to" place for primers since Arjays closed. Guess it's back to paying HazMat fees(also guess it's been too long since I bought primers)....Bill

Boolit Master

If you felt like traveling some, Harry's in bordentown isn't too bad.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Thanks, I will try them next time I need stuff. Might you have an address or phone # ??? Thanks again,......Bill

Boolit Master

Ray's had been talking about selling for years.

I usually go to the Bullet Hole in Belleville anyway. Ray's was OK but I only went there for things when it was an emergency (broken reloading tool etc) because I always thought he was expensive but he did pretty much have everything on hand.

Next time I need something I'll probably go to Caso's in JC, he's having a hard time with the town again but he's fighting.

The one that really hurt was Navy Arms, I really miss that place.

Wonder if Sarco will ever get their FFL back. Miss going there too.
    Last edited by Hip's Ax; 12-05-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master

Harry's is right on 130 in bordentown 609-585-5450
    Also there is another place about a mile or 2 south (still on 130) called sportsman's shop or center or something. Been there once. They are ok. Have some stuff.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Thanx Lunicy. I will check them both out as soon as I need supplies. I wrote them down to keep in the glovebox. Appreciate it. Maybe see ya at CJR&PC meetings/range.....Bill
    Last edited by Bill*; 12-06-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master

Just looked up Belleville to see where Hip's Ax goes. I'd pack a lunch. Too bad. Bought a gun at Caso's, but kinda far to travel for just primers-unless I buy in larger quantities than 1-2K. Oh well, Bordentown is a bit closer.

Boolit Master

Bill, mail order is the way to go. Buying 8 pound jugs of powder and cases of 5000 primers at a time leaves me with less worry and more range time. When I was buying primers by the brick and 1 pound cans of powder it seemed I always had to plan a trip to The Bullet Hole or Ray's. Haven't been to Ray's in a long long time and I think the last time I was at the Bullet Hole was about a year ago because they had Federal 205M primers in stock and no one else did.

Powder Valley usually has the best prices and they do combo packs too. So does Natchez. A combo pack is primers and powder in one box, one $20 haz mat fee plus shipping, it wound up being cheaper per round then buying locally even with haz mat and shipping and like I said instead of giving up a Saturday morning to go to the gun store now I get to go shooting instead.

Once in a while I will go to a local store just to show them some love. About two years ago I bought a Remington 700 in 308 at the Bullet Hole instead of getting the action through my gun smith. Frankly their price was great, everybody won that day.

Boolit Master

Thanks Hip's Ax, that sounds good. I didn't know about "combo packs". Last I bought mail order (Midway USA) I think (?) I remember paying about $50.00 HazMat and "special handling" for 4lbs. Bullseye and 2K primers. They packaged them separately! I appreciate the info.......Bill
    BTW....Where is your avatar from?

Boolit Man
    Sportsmen Center on Rt. 130 in Bordentown is a lost cause. I was there three times in two weeks for about eight different items - all common stuff. They didn't have any of those eight items.

Harry's is a little better but their reloading department is non-existent. Effingers in Bound Brook built a bigger store, but it is more crowded than the old one. Their reloading department was done away with. I wasn't at all comfortable in their new store at all.

Boolit Master

To be honest, I don't really buy much supplies local anyway. I either mail order or wait for the trip to Kittery Maine. Kittery Trading Post is awesome. (I have family in Maine, so I go there often) Also, the once a month gun shows in PA get alot of my dough.

As for gun purchases, Try Shore Shot in lakewood. Andy is good people. (they have an indoor range there too). I don't shoot there, but I do buy many of my guns there.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Bill, this is cut and pasted from the Powder Valley website

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

WE CAN COMBINE UP TO 48 LBS. OF POWDER AND PRIMERS UNDER ONE HAZMAT TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

Midway is pretty new to the powder and primer game, they are too expensive and I was afraid they would'nt combine either. Powder Valley until fairly recently only sold powder, primers and things like bulk tumbling media. They then added brass and now bullets and their prices are usually amoung the cheapest if not the cheapest.

Many times Champion's Choice has the best price on Sierra Match Kings so I haven't bought any bullets from PV yet. I have bought plenty of powder, primers and brass from PV over the years though. Still the best place is Camp Perry but I don't go every year.

Of course like all other places PV is back logged with Obama-itis orders right now but I'm sure that will be cleared soon.

LOL, my avatar is "Hell Boy". When I first joined this site I had just seen Hell Boy the movie on TV, I got such a kick out of it I made it my Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post

Wonder if Sarco will ever get their FFL back. Miss going there too.
    Sarco lost their FFL?!?!?!?!?!?! The place in Stirling? Down the street from the train station?

When did THAT happen? & Why?

That was my other go to place in DPRNJ. The guy behind the counter was often a grumpy old coot, but that place had tons of good stuff. For a lot of things, they were the only game in town. That's another big loss.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I can recall going to Rays way back when I was a little kid. We used to buy my .22 shorts there for my 67-A Boys Rifle.

In 1974 when I joined the PD in Somerville we went to Rays for all my gear and my duty S&W M-19. I still have the 2" M-60 off duty gun I bought there and carried for years.

Bought a lot of old S&W police trade ins, even several Class 3's there over the past 30 years.

Knew Dwight and the rest of the old crew pretty well. I heard about the Sale and closing several months ago....but seeing this thread today brought back the sadness once again.

Talk about the end of an ERA!

FN in MT