WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 strikes again !

Boolit Master

Windows 10 strikes again !

After several months of relative peace, Windows 10 took over my computer for 2 hours last night for updates(I kept picking the "later" option but they did it anyway) . Now I can't keep a screen up very long, they minimize at random while I'm reading/typing.
    The screen lock thing still has 20 minutes showing- oops , just minimized on me again ! - don't know where else to look, my cursor moves when I don't - dang near unusable.

Boolit Master

Mine did the update too last night when i was sleeping. No screen issues though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Windows often introduces errors with updates. When they find out about them they issue another update to correct the update.

Boolit Master

you can select "never update" on some computers, I think it depends on the hardware manufacture
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Very interesting....I haven't been victimized yet, but I can see it on the horizon. I've been using an HP computer that came with Wndows 8.1 for about 7 years now. A couple of months ago the monitor would light up, but nothing would appear on the screen. I just knew that the computer had died, since the monitor was a couple of years newer and usually about 5 years is all I've gotten out of a computer. So I bought a new HP (because I was happy with the old one-- had lasted 2 years longer that the preceding two Dell computers), and of course it was Windows 10. I couldn't get it to work either, and decided that it must be the monitor after all. That turned out to be the case, and I replaced it with a small RCA TV that only cost $100. I was going through the Windows 10 learning process when it occurred to me that the old computer might still be good. Hooked it up and was back in business with what I knew. The new Windows 10 computer went back into the box and is sitting in the corner waiting for the inevitable.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you can select "never update" on some computers, I think it depends on the hardware manufacture
    Unfortunately, there are worse villains out there than Microsoft. If security updates are refused trouble may ensue.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in 02 - 26 - 2019 member Land Owner posted a three part instruction on how to rid your computer of "stuff" that makes it act squirrely ... my computer had been acting like your's ... I'm not a computer person...I'm illiterate , totally ! My computer would let me start doing something and then it would veer off and start acting weird ... I couldn't use it .
    I printed the Part I , Part II and Part III of the instructions and everything Land Owner said ...read it all 3-4 times ( I didn't understand much of it) but did everything he directed and went on a search and destroy mission of things that were in there but shouldn't have been . After destroying all the "things", that was on 02-26-2019 to this day my computer has worked just fine and not gone squirrely on me.
    It was in the "Our Town" section but I only printed post #5 , post #6 and post #7 which have parts I , II and III of the instructions ... I don't have the thread Title or who started it ...and don't have a clue as how to find it ..
    But if you can find it and follow the directions and get lucky you just might de-bug your computer .
    Land Owner was the person who had the answer .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    One more situation were I have to be that guy. I am a “computer guy” (not career just tech savvy) and for all my personal computer I have Macs. I never worry about updates bricking my computer cause they do them in the background overnight by default. They also aren’t as prone to cyber attack or glitchy bugs.

Part of the reason they are more reliable is that OSX doesn’t use third party “driver” files. Apple vets and approves secure hardware and programs the OS to accept it. If they haven’t vetted it it won’t work. In windows world, a lot of hackers find holes in those driver files and exploit them.

Another personal experience, Windows based computers tend to be lower priced which is nice, but you have to replace them more frequently as they become worn out or obsolete faster. I have had to replace my windows based work laptop 5 times in last 8 years while I’ve had one MacBook Pro laptop for 11 years and a MacMini desktop for 8 and both still work great for general purpose work.

As with most things, you get what you pay for in computers.

Boolit Master

Can you say "Linux Mint" ? Cinnamon edition.

I'm running 2 towers now; one with Win10 (because QuickBooks won't run on anything but Windows) for QuickBooks. One tower for everything else, and it runs on Linux Mint.

Really, if I can figure out how to do it, you can too. I am not usually the smartest person in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

I'm running 2 towers now; one with Win10 (because QuickBooks won't run on anything but Windows) for QuickBooks. One tower for everything else, and it runs on Linux Mint.

Really, if I can figure out how to do it, you can too. I am not usually the smartest person in the room.
    Yep ... another fan of Iinux here and using the "Mint" version on two old mini laptops that are five years old ..
    Love it .
    Linux keeps on working even with the older machines ... you get your money's worth with a free operating system.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Vendor Sponsor

Uhh GAIN the opportunity to move to Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. It looks like windows 7, doesn't bug you to death, solid as a rock, and FREE! Comes with a full suite of office stuff that opens and edits any M$ document, music players, cd/dvd burning, photo, audio, and video editors plus tons of other stuff you can install for free as well.

I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops all running linux mint 20 cinnamon. I have one desktop that I used to throw every new flavor of linux on just to learn it and check out the different distros, always reverted back to linux mint for ease of operation, nary a "gotcha" and plenty of support if you need it via forums and live irc channel. Free of course.

You can install wine into it, wine is a windows emulator that lets you run a considerable amount of programs and games written for windows. QuickLoad runs flawlessly in linux!

I could go on and on but there's really no point, it's just better all around, more secure by a long shot, and easier to deal with than win10. Plus it runs on hardware that windows won't run on anymore because they force you to go out and buy new hardware so windows can run on it. Enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

This may interest you sir... How to open QuickBooks with linux: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...oks-with-linux

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I'm still struggling with file sharing across my Windows network but I'm finally getting up to speed on the OS.
    Open a terminal in linux and type: sudo apt install samba

Once samba is installed you need to add a user, I just use my name and since I am the same user name on all my puters here, I only need to create one user password, so I type: sudo smbpasswd -a USER (where USER is the username to be added).

You will be prompted to enter and verify a new password for the user. Next issue the command sudo smbpasswd -e USER and the user will be enabled for Samba shares.

So once you have created shares on your linux mint, by enabling sharing on a folder, you should be able to login from windows and access the shared resources using your user and password that you put in samba.

Linux Mint 20 also has a feature called Warpinator where you can send files to other computers on your network that are also running Warpinator. It's VERY simple, and very fast, I think you have to run the same version on each computer, so far it isn't ported to windows, but it FLIES transferring files among linux machines!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-14-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I'm a Windows guy & I'm very comfortable using Windows 7. Finally after worrying about viruses & security breech attempts, I switched to Linux Ubuntu. It was easy to install & lots of open source (FREE) software. The Libre office suite matches MS-Office, at least for my needs. I'm still struggling with file sharing across my Windows network but I'm finally getting up to speed on the OS. I believe there is something called "Wine" that will run windows' programs on Linux & perhaps it would work with Quickbooks along with other proprietary apps.

Need a new computer running a complete office suite? Google "Rasberry Pie Computer". Assemble a Linux based computer with all software as low as $50. Buy on Amazon. Little to no tech skill needed!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

You can back up prior to the update tho i forgot how haven't owned a puter in many years or any electronic devices for that matter
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    Win 10 updates are the scariest, you don't know how long it will take or if you will get your computer back. They lost my personal settings twice. Windows is a bureaucracy and can only get worse.

Apple actually validates updates before installing them. That's where I'm headed when this Win7 machine goes down.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Last up date I had problems with, was when they installed EDGE.
    So many things changed by default.
    Still having to change things back to NOT use MS EDGE.
    Seems the more they fool with it, the more problems they have.

Banned
    I miss Windows 7.

As for MS Edge, I hate it but after about 2 hours I almost got it to do what I wanted it to do.

Mircosoft is like the The Borg from Star Trek - You will assimilate, resistance is futile

Boolit Master
    One thing about Win 10, you can have the fastest, fanciest computer in the world and still have the driveline of a Yugo.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Win 10 updates are the scariest, you don't know how long it will take or if you will get your computer back. They lost my personal settings twice. Windows is a bureaucracy and can only get worse.

Apple actually validates updates before installing them. That's where I'm headed when this Win7 machine goes down.
    Windows 10 will update everyday, and not remove old updates. Loads up your computer in no time, and makes it move like frozen molasses.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    You can back up prior to the update tho i forgot how haven't owned a puter in many years or any electronic devices for that matter
    Me too

Laat one i owned had xp on it
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast