RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 strikes again !

Boolit Grand Master

Pay for Win10 Pro or suffer the consequences. You have more control of everything. Most important is updates which you can defer for a long amount of time. While this may not be the most secure. It gives them time to fix any issues before it’s installed on your computer.

There is a power shell script on Github that I’m going to link. This is to remove all, and I mean all, the bloatware that Win10 comes w/. I’m still evaluating it but I’ve had it running on one of my laptops for about three weeks w/ no issues. It does turn of Windows Defender so be aware: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

All operating systems are what you make of them. Linux has its advantages but it’s not for a casual user. There are many programs that won’t run on it, even in Wine. And learning how to use it has a steep curve at times. It can be for a casual user if all they want to do is use the internet and edit documents. For that I recommend PopOS. But there are many driver issues especially for gaming, not that I expect most here to be into that.

I tend to try out any new flavor of Linux in a VM on my server or one of my spare laptops. I still haven’t found one to replace Windows. There’s always a compromise that I don’t want to make. But I could say the same thing about switching to Macs even though I use iPhones and iPads already. A clean install of an OS, even Win10, has a habit of clearing up lots of issues. Kind of like clearing CMOS on a motherboard. Puts your back to square one so you can start over. Microsoft has made it very easy to install Win10.

Boolit Buddy
    If you about to pay - pay for hardware, get Mac with OSX and forget about all those nightmares

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

i make my internet connection a limited metered connection.. it gets rid of most of the update stuff and problems. PM me if you need help with this option.

take a peek at this...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-windows-10
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There is a power shell script on Github that I’m going to link. This is to remove all, and I mean all, the bloatware that Win10 comes w/. I’m still evaluating it but I’ve had it running on one of my laptops for about three weeks w/ no issues. It does turn of Windows Defender so be aware: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
    This looks very interesting. I would ALMOST want to run w10 again just to see it. Notes say to run it before you create a user profile, or it may not remove everything and it might leave broken tiles on the start menu.

I ran XP mini, a stripped version that was only 184mb on the install cd, it was the best XP of all. I ran Tiny7, again a stripped version of win7 that was much faster and way more stable than the as issued version, so I wondered when someone would make a pared down w10. I do agree w10 is the best windows so far, but there is SO much crap in there that it doesn't need. They did a wonderful thing bringing it to the point of (almost) fixing itself.

If M$ REALLY wanted to please and retain users, they would compartmentalize the OS and let users login, put components in their shopping cart, it would then build the dependencies and let you know if you were missing anything to run the stuff you picked out, and it would leave out all the games, all the Bing junk, all the office stuff if you didn't want that, and then it would compile your .iso file that you could download and put on a DVD to install, or simply boot to a small image on a USB stick and it would download and install your own personalized and customized w10. You reboot the computer and it comes to life with your own user profile already installed. M$ stores this profile in the cloud, encrypted, and instead of ever having to install windows on another computer, you just let the cloud install it on whatever new computer you buy and it comes to life exactly where you left off with the old one.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-15-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    also recommending Linux Mint. get a thumb drive and download the versinon of unetbootin for whatever system you currently have:
    https://unetbootin.github.io/
    then download Linux Mint:
    https://linuxmint.com/
    run unetbootin to install the mint system on the thumbdrive, then you can use the thumb drive to run any computer with the mint system on the thumbdrive, or install the mint system on same or another computer.

save the jump drive for later use. look on youtube for instructions. use any working computer to get the vids on youtube and set up the thumb drive.

Boolit Master

Window 7 pro on an 8 year old desktop and an 11 Y/O Netbook (small laptop). Brother upgraded to Win10 on one of his computers (from Win7) and regrets it. Too many upgrades even when he declines. He wishes he had made a mirror of his hard drive before making the upgrade.

Wife bought me 2 different IPads over the past few years and upgraded to IPhones when FaceTime became a thing. Well, she only bought one IPad, the other was a freebie with phone upgrades. As we spend a lot of time apart we have our coffee long distance. Funny, she always calls the IPhone rather than the IPads which have bigger screens. I like a bigger screen for the times I'm teaching my 4 Y/O gran daughter guitar, or checking out the wife's craft projects.

The older IPad doesn't run certain apps anymore as they won't upgrade the IOS for that model. It does run one thing quite well, VNC viewer which allows networking to another computer. My brother and I are both Amateur Radio Operators and have recently delved into digital mode communications. The radio is run by a Raspberry Pi computer, and I can control the Pi with the tablet. Kind of cool to have the radio on the porch, and me in an easy chair in the house.

We went up in the hills, no cell service, no wifi, but connected using an ad hoc/wifi connection between the IPad and the Pi. All of this powered with a solar cell connected to a small 8 amp hour battery. I've heard folks as far away as the Virgin Islands, Brazil, New York, Puerto Rico, and made connections on only 5 watts. The goal eventually is to have the rigs in the truck and sit by the campfire with some 'sippage' as some would say. Whiskey for some, iced tea for me thank you.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got done with another update from windows.
    Took over an hour to do.
    So far everything seem to be working fine.
    Only thing I noticed change is the bottom of the screen, (tool bar???) has changed color.
    Used to be black and now it's gray.
    I wonder if OBLM might have had something to do with the change in color.
    I only hope none of my settings has changed, or programs taken over by windows.

Boolit Grand Master

My computer got hit with the windows 10 download last night. went to bed with a working computer and internet. Got up to a slow computer missing Icons and no e-mail access. Called micro soft and the tech (almost an hour on hold waiting) launched into his spiel how much better it was after.I told him before I had a working computer and internet after I had nothing how is that better? after an hour or so he had most of it working. I then had to call aol to get the rest going another hour on hold then about 45 mins to straighten it out, we thought. Later in the afternoon I got on to check e-mails and again couldn't see them. Showed 26 but nothing in the screen so another call to aol and another 45 min wait to get to a tech, again about 45 mins and seemed fine. I just got on before bed and again shows the 26 e-mails but nothing in the screen. I also had to start over on the MS call once due to being disconnected while on hold. Im going on 5 hours straightening this out now and am betting I end up replacing the computer before its over.

If I had done this shoddy of work Id have been fired in short order

Banned
    I still dont understand how we had the ability to send an email, run a spreadsheet, play an MP3, stream a video almost 20 years ago using computers dozens of times less powerful than now. But for some reason to do all the above I now need 'regular updates' with a vastly more powerful computer that still crashes about the same rate over a simple word document. Great sales pitching by Microsoft is all I can say.

Boolit Master
    I don't use my computer for a lot of different things, mostly internet use. I really got tired of the long wait for windows to update and complained to my son the computer programmer. He suggested for my limited use I should get a chrome book. As far as I can tell it has never updated or had any kind of hickup in the 2 to 3 years I have had it. I have no idea what it won't do but it does everything I want without any issues and was fairly cheap. About $200 IIRC.

Boolit Master

The biggest problem with windows is they insist on updates. The updates are usually to fix bugs in the update system. Imagine if your telephone was always live and connected to some unknown listener and that's what windows does. Once MS stopped supporting WinXP the system became stable and works great. Unfortunately MS pressures software programmers to use 'new improved' features that are not backwards compatible to try to force users to the new systems.

Boolit Grand Master

THe big change ive seen is it used to be you bought a program one time fee and used for duration, now alot of programs are "rented" monthly or yearly fee to keep active. Imagine the out rage if auto companies had a yearly fee for driving their cars.

Boolit Grand Master

Windows 10 strikes again !

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    THe big change ive seen is it used to be you bought a program one time fee and used for duration, now alot of programs are "rented" monthly or yearly fee to keep active. Imagine the out rage if auto companies had a yearly fee for driving their cars.
    Software as a service is a horrible business model for the consumer. It’s great for the company selling it because they have monthly income. As much as I’m not for regulation, software as a service needs to be regulated into nonexistence.

And auto companies have already floated such ideas. And if goes beyond yearly fees. A few weeks ago BMW floated the idea of paying to have certain features turned on. Say you want heated seats in the winter, just pay them a fee and they will turn it on. This is also the company that charges you for Apple CarPlay even though it’s every other make free of charge. You already paid for the hardware to be in your car so what would give them the right to disable features?

The question w/ this type of thins becomes “do you own it?” Why would I pay for a car where they could disable features. Or worse yet the entire vehicle because there was a clerical error and they thought you didn’t may this month. I already have a major issue w/ OnStar being installed in everything. I don’t consent to the tracking. But most people want convenience over privacy so the rest are made to suffer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Back in 02 - 26 - 2019 member Land Owner posted a three part instruction...
    gwpercle,

I vaguely remember posting a 3-part set of instructions, which specific instructions I don't remember, and cannot find that dated post through SEARCH on Castboolits. Can you provide some of the unique wording in those copied instructions? Just type out a line or two. That should help SEARCH find that 2019 thread, and if it is in context to the User's issue, link it here.

In the meantime, here's a laundry list of routine and customary items to run on a Dell/HP/IBM PC:

1.) How "full" is your hard drive? Go to Windows Explorer. Hold your cursor over the C:/ Drive. RIGHT click. In the drop down menu==>PROPERTIES will tell you how full or empty your computer has become. If you are running Windows 10, there is a DISK CLEANUP button there. Use it. If you have not run this before, or it has "been awhile", this may take a very long time for it to complete its run. Be Patient. Get a cup of coffee (it may take two) in the meantime.

2.) Go to START (bottom left corner at Microsoft logo) SETTINGS==>APPS, sort by SIZE and see if there are any large applications that you do not want, then UNINSTALL them. This is probably not going to retrieve a lot of space, but it will get rid of unwanted applications and their bulk.

3.) You do not have to seek the TEMP files to delete. Start off with CTRL-SHIFT-DELETE simultaneously. This is the acceptable "first volley" against TEMP file storage.

At the drop down menu check ALL of the boxes and let your machine's software, the software put there by Microsoft for this very thing, do its best to delete the junk in TEMP folders. Repeat the process multiple times to be sure. On exit, CHECK the box that removes this junk every time you turn your computer off.

4.) Go to RECYCLE BIN and EMPTY it.

5.) Turn OFF your computer for 20-30 seconds and turn it ON again. Check disk space as in 1.) above.

6.) Download and run Freeware (link)
    CCleaner
    . RUN cleaner and only clean/remove the files from the default setting, to sweep the dust out of the corners.

7.) Download and run Freeware (link)
    defraggler
    click the ▼ by defrag and select "quick defrag". It will offer to empty your recycle bin say yes. This doesn't remove anything (besides emptying the recycle bin) but it organizes your files so your computer runs better.

Thanks,
    Land Owner
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-24-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Defragging isn’t necessary if you’re using a SSD. The controller in the drive takes care of it already. Spinning rust will benefit but it takes a long time to get it to the point where it makes a difference. The single best way to speed up your system is to run the OS off a SSD. They are cheap at the moment and easy to install. And a clean OS install is always a sure way to clean everything up. Even a comparatively slow QLC SSD is a lot faster than a conventional hard drive.

Boolit Master

Get the CCcleaner. Run it every week, especially the registry cleaner.

Years ago I had a laptop that became too slow to use. I ran the registry cleaner, it must have come up with thousands of old junk registries that were clogging everything up.
    I cleaned it, and the laptop worked just peachy afterwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12