RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: brands of rat poison containing arsenic

Boolit Mold

Cool brands of rat poison containing arsenic

hello all, i am trying to find a brand of rat poison that contains arsenic to use in shot making. i have had no success local.,or on google any help appreciated skywalker

To my knowledge, rat poison doesn't use arsenic, they use a blood anti-coagulant, I think it's called wafferin. This works, because of the rats' inability to regurgitate, and so is safer for other animals, including man. The last pesticide I've seen with arsenate of lead(arsenic), was a garden spray for insect pests. Probably no longer used.
    Morgan

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you and the wife getting along OK?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Arsenic comes from a yellowish rock and melts at 817 degrees. If you touch it you die.

Pure nicotine comes from a tobacco plant, is a colorless liquid, and if you touch, it you also die. Had an uncle that worked for a pesticide manufacturer as a lab tech. One day he fell ill, and was taken to the hospital. They couldn't find out what was wrong, and a few days later, feeling better, he went back to work. He fell dead just before noon. Later examination showed he had gotten some pure nictine on the seat of his coveralls, and it was being absorbed through the skin. This story was mentioned in the family several times, when I was a youth, over 50 yrs. ago.
    BADDD STUFF!!!

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    Pure nicotine comes from a tobacco plant, is a colorless liquid, and if you touch, it you also die. Had an uncle that worked for a pesticide manufacturer as a lab tech. One day he fell ill, and was taken to the hospital. They couldn't find out what was wrong, and a few days later, feeling better, he went back to work. He fell dead just before noon. Later examination showed he had gotten some pure nictine on the seat of his coveralls, and it was being absorbed through the skin. This story was mentioned in the family several times, when I was a youth, over 50 yrs. ago.
    BADDD STUFF!!!

Morgan
    Oh yes bad stuff Too. I was going to mention Mange control uses nicotine. My dad would have his dad send this to nam to have the montagyards dip their arrows tips in it after letting it sit out and evaporate a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    hello all, i am trying to find a brand of rat poison that contains arsenic to use in shot making. i have had no success local.,or on google any help appreciated skywalker
    Sir unless you have a death wish just pony up and buy some tin or linotype.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Are you and the wife getting along OK?
    ROTFLMAO
    Morgan

Arsenic and nicotine

Arsenic is still available in some types of pest control however it is diluted and would have to be refined to obtain something close to full strength. We recently had a poisoning case (wife didn't care for hubby anymore and proceeded to try and kill him off slow like). I don't know what your idea is but if pest control is it, the birdshot will work fine w/o the poison. My innate curiosity prompts me to ask why you want to load poison shotshells however any explanations/solutions to one of those "special problems" best not be published on an open forum .
    As to nicotine, back in the day my now ex- father in law raised silver fox and mink for the fur trade and for a long time the way to kill them was a quick injection into the chest cavity with pure nicotine. The little critter would fall over dead almost as soon as the needle was removed. We were damn careful with that stuff and it was a relief when they started to gas them with a carbon monoxide chamber. We all smoked or dipped back then and would joke about the doing to ourselves what we were doing to the furbearers, only we chose the slow way.

I believe arsenic is one of the ingeredients in the alloy for "chilled shot". Not sure what its function is, though.
    Morgan

Boolit Man
    AFAIK arsenic was used to increase the surface tension of the molten shot dropped from towers, helping it to form into a true sphere. Not sure it would even work in the short drop methods we use to make shot and I certainly have no inclination to try it.
    You can get shot quite round enough by refining your methods of work.

All the Best
    Andy

Moderator Emeritus

A vet friend used nicotine in his schooling to kill a cat before an autopsy. One drop on the tongue was enough to kill it.
    WW have arsenic, are you using pure lead for your shot or an alloy?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Uhhhh, Gianni.....no autopsy required, the cat died of nicotine poisoning!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ed, he was required to document the damage done to the body. He has passed on now but said it really tore up some organs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    fellows thanks for the info. i am using pure lead for shot. wheel weights are impossible to find here. lead is plentiful and reasonable. a drop of rat poison with arsenic in your pan willreduce surface tension helping to form a true round shot. if i am succesful in finding some i will lock it where the wife cant find it. i plan to keep her, but she could have other plans thanks skywalker

Actually, it increases, not decreases surface tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Astorbilt View Post
    BADDD STUFF!!!

Morgan
    There's enough nicotine sulfate in a Camel brand cigarette to kill 20 grizzly bears, if you extract it down to it's pure form. Fortunately for smokers, most of it burns off.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    fellows thanks for the info. i am using pure lead for shot. wheel weights are impossible to find here. lead is plentiful and reasonable. a drop of rat poison with arsenic in your pan willreduce surface tension helping to form a true round shot. if i am succesful in finding some i will lock it where the wife cant find it. i plan to keep her, but she could have other plans thanks skywalker
    Wow, you're making shot. I was going to suggest using bird shot as a source of arsenic. I guess that idea is out the window.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Just add lead from car batteries that are lead acid. The reason you shouldnt cast with them is the arsenic.

Sound reasonable or not enough concentration?

A lot of oversees lead foundries offer arsenic lead alloy. You might have to buy it in more than personal use amounts but maybe you could get a group buy started.
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.