Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Experience: part 1.

Taurus Experience: part 1.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm basically a revolver man: I only own 2 center fire automatics (both SR1911). My revolvers are S&W & Ruger. I have never owned a Taurus. I've heard good things & bad things about them and most of the bad things are CS/shipping charges related.

I'm fortunate to have my own range & a close family friend comes out to shoot with a new 4" blue Taurus Tracker in .44 magnum. He liked the size, weight & feel of the gun (had replaced grips with Hogues) & most of all he liked the price. After a brief shooting session he had the following complaints:
    1. Rough action
    2. Heavy trigger pull
    3. Hammer dragging on the L. @ full cock & dragging on the R. when down.
    4. Cylinder difficult to open

My examination before disassembly:
    Cylinder gap=.006, end shake=.001, cylinder length would not allow #429421 boolits & rear sight not square with the front.

Rear sight problem traced to loose fit of retaining pin to rear sight (sight retaining pin fit to frame is correct). Finger pressure brings sight to correct position (replacement sight with correct hole size would solve the problem).

Disassembly Impressions:

1. Front side plate screw was loose (should have been a warning but went unheeded)
    2. All moving parts under the side plate were well made & had an excellent finish (no tool marks).
    3. The mechanism seems to be a combination of S&W type hammer & trigger with a Ruger type hammer spring & strut. The trigger return spring was situated similar to S&W but utilized a Ruger type strut rather than the S&W return spring housing. The transfer bar was almost identical to the Ruger SA, except it is smaller & better finished. The transfer bar connection to the trigger seemed to be a closer fit than the Ruger SA.
    4. All interior surfaces (frame & side plate) were finished well ( every bit as good as S&W).

My efforts to correct complaints:
    1. Hammer flats stoned to a level surface & shimmed (.008 to L & .005 to R,).
    2. Wolfe hammer (11 lb.) & trigger (10 lb.) springs installed.
    3. Interior surfaces lightly stoned.
    4. Hammer notch reduced to .019
    Results: smooth action & a trigger that would hold a 4.5 lb. weight, but would not hold a 4.75 lb. weight. Not a target trigger, but smooth.

It was then that I discovered that I should have tackled the #4 complaint 1st. (the difficulty in opening cylinder)

PHOTOS:
    #1: Before reassembly with side plate removed
    #2: Side plate front screw. Note it differs from S&W. It is a 3 piece arrangement: hollow screw, spring & plunger.
    #3: Close-up of crane end. Note front screw plunger rides on edge of the "V" rather than the center.
    #4: Side view with side plate removed & crane in place. "V" in crane not centered.
    #5: Sketch of the problem: A on left shows misalignment described above. B shows proper relationship

The misalignment can only be corrected with a properly fitted crane. The technician that assembled this gun should have recognized this and probably did, but made the crane pass inspection by not torqueing the front side plate screw properly. The spring would coil bind under pressure & make the plunger bare down on the slope of the "V" notch rather than bottom of the "V" notch if torqued correctly.

I'm running out of room here & will continue on another page: Taurus Experience : Part 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-009F.JPG   MVC-006F.JPG   MVC-007F.JPG   MVC-008F.JPG   MVC-011F.JPG  

Taurus Experience: Part 2

When I discussed the problem with the owner I told him the only remedy would be to return the gun to Taurus.

I phoned Taurus. An automated answering system put me on hold & while on hold there was Spanish type guitar music. Since I knew Taurus HQ was in Brazil I didn't know what to expect.

After a 3 or 4 minute hold I got to talk with Cindy in CS. As it turns out Taurus has a facility in Bainbridge, GA which is about 50 miles South of me. Cindy was extremely friendly, knowledgeable & patient. As it turns out she was a GRITS (Girl Raised In The South). She listened to my entire story and agreed that the crane should have been fitted to allow the plunger of the front screw to contact the bottom of the "V". I made notes & the following is what I understand,

If the owner ships the gun to Taurus, the owner must pay shipping cost both ways.

If the dealer ships the gun to Taurus, the shipping charges will be paid by Taurus both ways.

There will be a "bench charge" of $35.00 which will cover the cost of one (1) part & will renew the warranty.

If a bench charge of $50.00 is paid the number of parts needed is unlimited & the warranty will be renewed

I voided the warranty when I removed the side plate.

Taurus will remove & retain the shims, any aftermarket part & any part that I have altered in any way (there goes the trigger/action job).

My friend that owns the gun does not want to send it back because all the work I've invested will be removed. He does things for me & I told him I'd get the returned gun back as smooth as it is now. I never planned to charge him anyway.

If he decides to return it to Taurus, I'll let this post know the turn around time.

Henry

P.S. The service I received from Cindy in CS @ Taurus is every bit equal to Ruger. It could not have been better.

Boolit Master

"
    If the owner ships the gun to Taurus, the owner must pay shipping cost both ways.

If the dealer ships the gun to Taurus, the shipping charges will be paid by Taurus both ways.

There will be a "bench charge" of $35.00 which will cover the cost of one (1) part & will renew the warranty.

If a bench charge of $50.00 is paid the number of parts needed is unlimited & the warranty will be renewed

I voided the warranty when I removed the side plate.

Taurus will remove & retain the shims, any aftermarket part & any part that I have altered in any way (there goes the trigger/action job)."

Looking to venture into .357 country, I saw Ruger, S & W, and Taurus, and a handful of other mfrs. when I looked on Gunbroker. I wondered whether or not to consider Taurus. Now I know, NOT. Thanks
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I have a tracker 357. The rear sight blade was wobbly when i got it. Taurus sent me a new one 6 months later. This was when they were moving. I put lock-tite on it. Solved the problem. New site is still in my parts box. One day i was out shooting the tracker and my Ruger GP 100. And my RIA 38 special. I had them on the bench at the range. And took a good look at the 3. You can tell the build quality differences between the 3.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

USMC 77, USRA 79

well, i know the stories. i still love my Model 44 from taurus. never groaned at me for anything. just does what I tell it to do. trigger is good. it lives on a steady diet of lee 310's.... been carrying the gun 6months out of the year for over 20 years in heavy bear country.. had an opportunity to take down an un-ruley bear this spring.. i like it.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    As a long time revolver fan,, I have a lot of experience with different manufacturers & their guns. And while I'm a die-hard Ruger fan,, I also recognize the FACT that there are many top-notch handguns from other makers.
    I also own other brands too.

I'm also the chairman of our local FoNRA chapter,, & have been with the committee for almost 20 years. Taurus has been involved with that program often, so I've seen a lot of new ones there too. My local gunsmith handles all our FFL work for these events.

In my experience,, it's a hit or miss proposition when it comes to their quality. On average,, we have had to return about 1/3 or more of the NEW guns from them,, due to issues in operation. Our gunsmith makes it a point to inspect the workings of all Taurus handguns BEFORE we put them out for an event. I've seen enough problems,, to shy away from them. Plus,, I own a gun range,, (private,, but we do shoot USPSA there,) and I get to see a LOT of handguns. I almost never see a Taurus show up. And the few that have been there,, if the shooter continues shooting USPSA,, has always found a different gun to be able to enjoy shooting USPSA. I have a few friends who own a few Taurus handguns,, and about 1/2 of them have had issues of one kind or another.

And on the other hand,, I also have friends who own a Taurus of one flavor or another,, and have never had any problems. But in MY simple, opinion,, I'll pass on then in general,, preferring to spend my money elsewhere.

I've owned 5 Taurus (Tauri?), model 85, PT728, Spectrum, PT111-G2, and G2S. The revolver had a decent trigger, and never gave a bit of trouble. Both the .380s had terrible triggers and were ammunition finicky. I sold the PT-111 to buy the G2S, and neither has ever had a malfunction. My wife recently fired about 600 rounds through the G2S, about half of which were handloads with no misfires, FTF or FTE. I'm happy with the 85 and G2 models, but if I ever want another .380, I'll go with another brand.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

I made several false starts before I finally wrote this thread. I didn't want to come across as anti Taurus. My intention was to give an accurate description of my contact with a Taurus product.

Now that the thread is posted, I'll now give my opinion based on what I've seen.

1. The component parts that I've seen are of very high quality. I do not know the process used to produce them, but would congratulate Taurus for that end result.
    2. The problem looks to come from the "build" process.

If I was running the Bainbridge, GA facility I'd implement the following:
    1. Key each tech to the ser. # of the gun & very quickly a pattern would develop showing which tech produces a trouble free product & which is responsible for more comebacks. I'd pay the good techs more & promote from that pool.

2. I'd raise wholesale price a few dollars & implement Ruger's policy of sending mailing labels for returns.

3. I'd use the additional wholesale dollars to halt the "Bench Charge".

4. I'd put Cindy in charge of customer service.

These are common sense measures that could change the entire face of Taurus.

My 2 cents worth.
    Henry

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Taurus 856 is a great gun except for the heavy and creepy single action pull. I really don't think it is something they would fix either, so I got a Wolff spring kit and let my 'smith work some magic on it. Hopefully it will come back at least as good as a new Ruger or low end S&W.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

I have had my Taurus Model 627 Tracker in 357 magnum, 6 1/2 inch barrel for several years now and have not had any problems with it. My trigger pull is not heavy at all. (I don't have a trigger pull gauge) The action and trigger are smooth, and the timing is perfect. I'm sorry to hear all of the trouble had with your friends.

Boolit Master
    I've only had two Taurus, 2003 model 85 (.38spl) and 1996 model 805 (.357). They both had great triggers right out of the box. Fact is, the little 805 that I tried at the gun shop is the reason I bought it. Had the best trigger of all the pistols in the shop.

The little .357 did well, right up until the cylinder locked up when firing magnums. When I took off the side plate I found a screw had worked loose. Locktited all of them and reassembled. Never missed a beat since. My brother-in-law has it now so it doesn't get fired much.

The 85 never had a problem.

Would I buy another? I tried once but could not get one so got an SP101 instead. Trigger not quite as good but not bad.

Now what would I buy? Probably another semi-auto

Boolit Master

We stopped selling Taurus in our shop at least 15 years ago. Big problems of out of spec and 0% warranty support. How many times can you return the same firearm for a barrel with the front sight out 15 degrees and keep getting it back unfixed.

To me they are JUNK!

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    I have had my Taurus Model 627 Tracker in 357 magnum, 6 1/2 inch barrel for several years now and have not had any problems with it. My trigger pull is not heavy at all. (I don't have a trigger pull gauge) The action and trigger are smooth, and the timing is perfect. I'm sorry to hear all of the trouble had with your friends.
    I’ve also had good luck with the 627. I replaced the grips as I really dislike the factory ones. They’re pretty good for what you pay.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post

If I was running the Bainbridge, GA facility I'd implement the following:
    1. Key each tech to the ser. # of the gun & very quickly a pattern would develop showing which tech produces a trouble free product & which is responsible for more comebacks. I'd pay the good techs more & promote from that pool.

Henry
    When I was working at Ruger, the serial numbers were the last thing to go on a pistol, using laser etching.

Besides, in today's business climate, holding anyone accountable or telling them they are doing something wrong is getting extremely rare. Seriously. It's just not done since HR doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I've only bought one Taurus pistol; a G2c. Not bad, but not great. Their current warranty position and practices on a gun with a dubious reputation precludes me from ever spending over $200 for ANY Taurus product.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I stopped playing in the Taurus sandbox years ago and I have no intention of returning to that sandbox.
    Taurus' quality is hit or miss and that's enough to push me towards other manufacturers.
    The problem isn't that Taurus guns are always bad, they are not always bad. The problem is they are sometimes bad and it's just not worth the risk to me for the slight possible savings in initial cost.

If Ruger or S&W had a six shot .38 snubnose that didn't weigh a ton I would have bought one. They don't so Taurus got my money that time.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If Ruger or S&W had a six shot .38 snubnose that didn't weigh a ton I would have bought one. They don't so Taurus got my money that time.
    If that 6th round is a deal-breaker, you can still find S&W Model 12's and Colt Cobra's & Agent's but you'll pay for them.

I can't speak to the Taurus Model 856 (6 round cylinder) but I will say the old Taurus Model 85 (5 shot snubnose) was one of the few Taurus guns that they consistently got right.

The old Model 85's gave good service. Why Taurus couldn't replicate that build quality on all of their guns is a mystery to me.

Boolit Master

"precludes me from ever spending over $200 for ANY Taurus product."

Well, maybe $150. But at that price I realize I am self warrantying the gun.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Its amazing what passes inspection these days. The last mill i worked at was a post mill and we had a certain percentage of junk that was allowed to be bundled in with the good the problem was the owner who was a piece of crap wanted us to make sure we were sending that exact number out not less but throw as much crap in as we could get away with i constantly butted heads with the idiots running the place because my units that left that place contained little defects i always ran my stuff to the next size or culled it. i quit because i was to the point of burying someone who worked there
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    If that 6th round is a deal-breaker, you can still find S&W Model 12's and Colt Cobra's & Agent's but you'll pay for them.

I can't speak to the Taurus Model 856 (6 round cylinder) but I will say the old Taurus Model 85 (5 shot snubnose) was one of the few Taurus guns that they consistently got right.

The old Model 85's gave good service. Why Taurus couldn't replicate that build quality on all of their guns is a mystery to me.
    I already have a couple of small five shooters and like them very much. What I wanted was something between a J and K frame size, and I think that size of a gun should have six rounds. I also don't want to carry a semi-collectible gun on the farm. My local shop sold tons of 85's and very few of them came back. Yes, Taurus got that one right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast