Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Saeco lube sizer startup

Boolit Mold

Saeco lube sizer startup

My deal for the Lyman 45 fell through and I aquired a Saeco lube sizer. Does anyone have pointers to set it up and get started with it correctly?
    Call me an old coot.... But I don't paint my fingernails, I don't paint my toe nails and I don't paint my bullets!

Boolit Master

I used soft 50/50 on mine to start. Easier to get flowing thru and into the system.

Although if it's hot enough where you live ? You might get it clamped to a table or bench out in the direct sunshine, warm it up and the lube will flow easier.

Or get a heater for it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

They're pretty straightforward to use. It's a simple in and out set up. Once you have the stop set for the right depth, it's just a matter of pushing the bullet down into the die until it stops and the lube grooves fill with lube. Then you raise the handle and it pushes the bullet back up out of the die and you lift it off.

The tricky part is matching up the top punch to the profile of the bullet you're going to be sizing. If you don't have the exact top punch, but have one close, you can fill the cavity with hot glue and form it to a bullet that you've applied wax, or other release agent to. Once you have a top punch matching your bullet, and the depth adjusted, then lube pressure is the next thing. Too much pressure and the lube will run. Too little pressure and the grooves won't fill out. With a little trial and error, you'll get it figured out.

The only other consideration is the type of lube you'll be using, and whether or not it will require heat to make it flow. If you need heat, then you'll have to figure out how much is the correct amount to get the lube to flow just right. If heat isn't required, then the amount of pressure will have to be found, but it's not hard.

This is the short version, but I hope it helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Fred's post above nails it. They're not hard to get up & running at all.
    Bob

Boolit Mold
    I guess I should have been a little more clear. I have run a friend's Lyman 450 although it has been some years ago. I was wondering about any peculiarities the Saeco might have starting up. I have some White Label Carnuaba Blue to start with and will mostly be loading 9mm Luger, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. The basement where the loading bench is can be a little cool because the wife like to keep it cold enough to hang meat in the house. I'd guess it's going to be around 66-67 down there in the summer and maybe a little warmer in the winter. As far as punches, I'm lucky enough to have a lathe in the garage and can easily make my own. I can make dies too if I need to.

I bought the Saeco rather than a Lyman or RCBS because of the absolutely stupid prices they are selling for on fleabay and I can't find any new ones and I'm sick of cleaning Alox out of the seating dies.
    Last edited by BGM56; 08-14-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    Call me an old coot.... But I don't paint my fingernails, I don't paint my toe nails and I don't paint my bullets!

Moderator Emeritus

if you can run a Lyman 450, than running a Saeco will not be a problem.

NOW, with that said, the one thing about the Saeco that is different is the handle orientation. I find it awkward to actuate the handle in a side motion. So, when I owned the one Saeco that I had (for a short time), I mounted it 90º to the bench, so the handle would actuate just like a Lyman 450...or Lyman 45.

I mount my Ideal #1 that same way (90º to the bench).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    if you can run a Lyman 450, than running a Saeco will not be a problem.

NOW, with that said, the one thing about the Saeco that is different is the handle orientation. I find it awkward to actuate the handle in a side motion. So, when I owned the one Saeco that I had (for a short time), I mounted it 90º to the bench, so the handle would actuate just like a Lyman 450...or Lyman 45.

I mount my Ideal #1 that same way (90º to the bench).
    Thanks for your help. One last question, it is coming 1/4 full of Saeco lube. Is it any good for pistol calibers? Or would you clean it out first and put in the carnauba blue?

Use the Saeco lube up first. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

I've never used Saeco Lube, but most anything will work for low pressure pistol boolits...so I'd just use it up on a batch of 38s.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Mold
    I just got the sizer in today. It appears to be the Saeco traditional lube which as I understand it is the same as the NRA formula. I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for your help.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BGM56 View Post
    I just got the sizer in today. It appears to be the Saeco traditional lube which as I understand it is the same as the NRA formula. I'll give it a try. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Well then, if it is NRA 50-50 (Beeswax-Alox), Then you have a good performing lube for most all shooting applications, but if you shoot at a indoor range, you and others will notice that it is stinky.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    I sized and lubed a bunch of 9mm bullets last night. You could definitely smell the alox in the lube. Got to know that smell well from tumble lubing. But since I shoot at an outdoor range, it will be fine. Thanks again for your help.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a bunch of reloading equipment in a garage sale awhile back and one of the things I got was a Saeco Lubesizer. Are top punches and dies still available for different calibers or will Lyman Lubesizer parts fit?
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Redding owns the rights to the Saeco Sizer and sells them. All dies and parts are available through them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, helps very much.
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Master

Santa Anita Engineering Company started in Santa Anita, CA. They moved to Carpenteria CA, which is where Dad bought his stuff, they were just down the road. Redding Reloading bought SAECO. Rock Chuck Bullet Swaging (later reduced to RCBS) owns the rights to SAECO is a new one on me, although die parts and top punches are basically interchangeable. Maybe SAECO just contracted/bought dies from RCBS, which was originally in Oroville, CA, business address is now in Maryland.

I have a set of dies from when they were still wrapped in 'gun paper' and cardboard boxes. The paper wrapping has kept the dies pristine after all these years. I have 50+ year old dies that are in the famous green plastic boxes. I wish I had a set of the original dies made by Fred Huntington to swage 22 lr cases into 22 projectiles during WWII as sporting ammunition was not made, all ammunition efforts were for the war. Country boy can survive. Back in the 1980s, you could still go to the shop in Oroville to get needed parts. A buddy of mine needed something they didn't have, it was made on the spot.

I still have all of Dad's stuff, and some that I've bought, as he quit reloading for himself, us boys kept him stocked. He would still load with us when visiting us boys.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95