WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Question on speedloader pouches

Question on speedloader pouches

While I've owned several double action revolvers in the past, and speedloaders, and even carried a J frame for a while, I've never used a speedloader pouch.

Since I've acquired a Ruger GP100, I've been accumulating all the needed things to use it for carry. So I acquired a used pouch, an HKS 103. It appears to be made for number 10 speedloaders and not 586 size loaders. Well there is this round plastic insert in each of the pouch compartments. When I remove a speedloader, the round plastic thing comes out on the cartridges. Not every time, but most of the time. So it ain't super tight, just rub tight.

My questions are,

Is that insert needed? I can see how it would support the speedloader and help the pouch to keep shape. I can also see how the insert would keep the cartridge casings from touching the pouch and getting verdigris.

Is there common available replacement inserts? Or common items to make them from?

I can probably open these up with some sandpaper so they fit better.

Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master
    $15.00 bucks on Amazon gets you the large size HKS speedloader holder. Or just remove the plastic tub and do without it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks.

So my question basically is, does that plastic ring have a function? Is it worth chasing down another pouch that fits or modifying the rings I have? Or is it just a reducer so smaller speedloaders don't flop around?
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-13-2020 at 08:52 PM.

I'm going to say "all of the above". I think the inserts serve the purposes you have mentioned, and I think you can do without them. I'd almost bet that if you ordered a speed loader pouch specific to your revolver from HKS you'd get the very same set without the inserts. Might be stamped with a different number, but the same.

I carried a 4" S&W 1917 for several years with HKS speed loaders, but they didn't make a pouch specifically for it. The closest one was the correct circumference but much too deep, probably for .45 L.C. My solution was to put thick wooden spacers in the bottom, the part cut out with a hole saw from installing a door knob. Worked perfectly.

Thanks DG. If I can figure out how to spin the rings I'll sand them inside. They don't lack much.

I carried a smith 642 for a couple years, but for nearly 8 years now have carried a 1911. I have some apprehension about relying on the GP but it's fear of the unknown.

Boolit Master
    I use some of that white packing foam in the bottom of those pouches it keeps the rattling down . Keep your eyes open I have seen it in several thickness just cut to fit.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Interesting. I have used HKS pouches and speedloaders for 30+ years, both the leather and the cordura ones, but don't recall ever having any insert in any of them. Of course I haven't purchased one in quite a while so it may be something "new". I have medium and large sizes in leather and the one size fits all cordura, both black and camo.

By the way, the cordura double pouch is an excellent way to carry extra 10/22 magazines.
    Last edited by roysha; 08-15-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

These I'm sure are factory made, they have a turned in bottom that someone couldn't have produced at home.

Banned
    I've seen those plastic liners in speedloader pouches. I think they help prevent the leather from being crushed and help the loader come out smoothly. My guess is they were glued to the leather to prevent them from pulling out.

The G&G pouches (B162) don't have those liners and they will work with K-frame, L-frame and N-frame (GP-100) sized loaders.

Some foam padding in the bottom of the pouch is helpful. The round, closed cell foam that comes in the loader pouches will fall out in about 2.5 minutes. The solution is to find some foam packaging material and cut inserts that are slightly larger than the pouch and stuff them in.