Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My scent became a reality. (shaving soap)

My scent became a reality. (shaving soap)

Years ago, I had a gent that made handmade hard puck shaving soaps but I believe he's now passed away. There is no trace of him any longer.

anyway...He made a cherry/vanilla/tobacco scent that reminded me of my grandfather when I was a very young boy. Since I'm down to my last few shaves with the original soap (I've used it very sparingly)...I've never been able to find one that is similar again. I was hoping that someday my grandchildren might equate a scent in their lives with me...and hopefully, have fond memories like I had with my grandpa. My grands call me Pappy.

I ordered some new hard puck shaving soaps (wild cherry/blue sugar scents) that is a goat's milk/honey shave soap and the lather is very nice, scent is very pleasant but the company that produced it didn't have any "tobacco" scented soaps....so I reached out to the seller. I asked they would be interested in making a new scent and they agreed. I did my best to describe the scent, received samples but they really were not close. (not a huge surprise)....I then sent a small sample of my remaining soap so they could duplicate it....to my surprise...they sent me samples back and they were able to come really close.

So...I went on to ebay today to see if it was available for sale yet...and it is. It's a soap by a CA company called bubblesandsudz and it is listed as "Pappy's Pipe" at my request....Wendy was wonderful to work with.

Quite happy with this little adventure. I guess it pays to ask sometimes.

I've just placed my first order....many more will likely follow.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 08-13-2020 at 01:26 PM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Could you please post a site link? They’re not coming up for me. Thanks!
    —Griff

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post an ebay link. If you can't find it on ebay let me know...I'll send you a PM with the link.

Search for "Handmade moisturizing goat milk shaving soap". Its the first listing with the 4oz jars.

and...the Cherry Tobacco scent was one that ranked high but didn't quite match the scent profile of pappy's pipe....so it was an indirect inspiration.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 08-13-2020 at 01:55 PM.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Gotcha. My misunderstanding—I thought they had a regular website.
    R/Griff

Sorry...I wasn't very clear....I'm an inarticulate grunt sometimes.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Years ago, I had a gent that made handmade hard puck shaving soaps but I believe he's now passed away. There is no trace of him any longer.

anyway...He made a cherry/vanilla/tobacco scent that reminded me of my grandfather when I was a very young boy. Since I'm down to my last few shaves with the original soap (I've used it very sparingly)...I've never been able to find one that is similar again. I was hoping that someday my grandchildren might equate a scent in their lives with me...and hopefully, have fond memories like I had with my grandpa. My grands call me Pappy.

I ordered some new hard puck shaving soaps (wild cherry/blue sugar scents) that is a goat's milk/honey shave soap and the lather is very nice, scent is very pleasant but the company that produced it didn't have any "tobacco" scented soaps....so I reached out to the seller. I asked they would be interested in making a new scent and they agreed. I did my best to describe the scent, received samples but they really were not close. (not a huge surprise)....I then sent a small sample of my remaining soap so they could duplicate it....to my surprise...they sent me samples back and they were able to come really close.

So...I went on to ebay today to see if it was available for sale yet...and it is. It's a soap by a CA company called bubblesandsudz and it is listed as "Pappy's Pipe" at my request....Wendy was wonderful to work with.

Quite happy with this little adventure. I guess it pays to ask sometimes.

I've just placed my first order....many more will likely follow.

redhawk
    That's pretty cool. I wonder if they have one that smells like Hoppe's #9. That is the scent my dad was most commonly wearing when I was a kid. Grandpa just used Ivory. Like the smell, don't really care for the soap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    That's pretty cool. I wonder if they have one that smells like Hoppe's #9. That is the scent my dad was most commonly wearing when I was a kid. Grandpa just used Ivory. Like the smell, don't really care for the soap anymore.
    I'm sending you a PM....there is a Hoppe's #9 scent that I've used from another seller.

redhawk

Banned
    just search for "Pappy's Pipe" on that online auction site

Handmade Moisturizing Goat Milk & Honey Bar Shave Soap U Choose Fragrance 3" 4oz

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    just search for "Pappy's Pipe" on that online auction site

Handmade Moisturizing Goat Milk & Honey Bar Shave Soap U Choose Fragrance 3" 4oz
    Yep...that's the replacement pucks without the jar....they just became available this afternoon....I ordered some of those too after contacting Wendy about them not being available yet. She jumped right on it.

[edit] and there are other pappy's pipe listings...but they aren't what I was after.

redhawk

Redhawk,

Thanks for the heads up on this soap.

I have fond memories of my grandfather and father smoking their pipes with their coffee on weekend mornings when I was a child. I ordered a couple pucks to give it a try. I still use my fathers safety razor each day. It is nice to hold on to those memories. He has been gone 32 years now, but I still feel him with me each day. And sometimes when I look in the mirror I see a bit of him looking back.

Harold

Boolit Buddy
    Wendy may give you a discount for helping to sell a few extra items for her. I just bought one of "Pappy's Pipe" myself. It just sounded so good that I had to have it. I think we all have fond memories of our grandfathers.

I ordered up 6 pucks of my own (so far)...It will take me a year to get through all of it. And I do plan to give some to my brother.

No discounts...but I did get to keep any samples that she sent me and there was no shipping charges. Several of the samples where very close...so I actually combined them into one tin. I'll use it up as well.

I've tried other Cherry Tobacco soaps...but the added vanilla makes the difference for me.

Her Cherry Tobacco scent is new as well...that was one of the "rejects" from our testing. Not rejected because it didn't smell good....it just didn't smell right from what I had for her to duplicate. When she made the Cherry Tobacco sample, her shop went nuts telling her she had a winner.

Thanx Guys...I'm really not pitching for anyone to buy some...but its nice to hear that you want to help support Wendy's hard work making this happen for me.

redhawk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    RedHawks - great post! Sent you a PM . . . sounds like a GREAT soap!

Boolit Master
    Very cool! I switched to a razorblades/single blade safety razor about 5 years ago at age 31. I will not go back. So much less razor burn and less ingrown hairs. I use a brush from the Art of Shaving and get soap pucks from a local shop called Sammy Soap. Tons of different scents. Much cheaper blades than those from Schick and Gillette.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Very cool! I switched to a razorblades/single blade safety razor about 5 years ago at age 31. I will not go back. So much less razor burn and less ingrown hairs. I use a brush from the Art of Shaving and get soap pucks from a local shop called Sammy Soap. Tons of different scents. Much cheaper blades than those from Schick and Gillette.
    Yeah...I switched about 7 years ago myself (age 50). I currently have a Merkur Futur adjustable. I started with a Gillette 1963 model (birth year) but I just couldn't get a nice shave with it. I tried so many different blades but I was looking at it wrong in the beginning. I was looking for the sharpest blade possible....you have to find a blade that matches your face/beard. I ultimately settled on Astra blades (russian) I get them for about 5 cents a piece in bulk....anyway...Don't bother trying to find a blade made in the USA...I have never found one...they are all made overseas now. Anyway...once you factor out the razor cost itself...I shave for about $5 a YEAR. Not $5 per blade like the Gillette/Schick blades are priced now...its so ridiculous....but that's for a different thread....haha

I've tried many different soaps through the past 6 years also. Most of my soaps have been Col. Conk...they provide good scent (except I didn't care for their Amber scent) and they are reasonably priced...but I did have this Cherry/Vanilla/Tobacco from a private seller that handcrafted his scents...but he likely passed away...I can find no trace of him. Anyway...that's what prompted this search for a maker that would be willing to try to duplicate the scent. Wendy was great at filling this gap.

Any of you that do try it...I hope you like it as much as I do.

redhawk

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting thread. Ordered 2 pucks of pappys pipe to try it out. Sounds like it’ll remind me of when dad took me to one of the only true barbers in town as a teen. I felt so special getting my whiskers shaved off by the old man and a straight razor. Always amazed me he never nicked me or dad. He passed a few years before dad did. His daughter took over the place and it never was the same. Not in a bad way, just a different feel.

Boolit Master

I'm going to try some of Pappy's. I started wet shaving with double edge safety razors about 20 years ago. Been retired over 14 years and now have 5 razors that I rotate. I've tried several different soaps including one that many rave about. It never gave me the shave I wanted. Scents never made much difference to me but as the OP described, I need to try it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Just added 3 different scents to my Ebay cart. Two of them added $2 each for shipping and the 3rd added $4 shipping. somebodies making a killing on shipping. Going to have to rethink.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    My Grandad didn't smoke, but he used a shaving cup and brush. A more fastidious brush-keeper I have never met. And his paint brushes too. . . Born in 1902, passed away in 2002 a few months shy of his 100th birthday. Anyway, after shaving with one of those shavers that took the double-edged blades (which I tried once on some quasi-suicidal impulse) he smelled of soap with a strong hint of turpentine or pine. Just getting a whiff of it, the first thing that came to mind was turpentine. Does anyone else remember this? I figure the cup-and-brush crowd would be the ones to ask.

Boolit Grand Master

That's an awesome story ...small businesses rock !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast