RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Brass Smith powder measure question...

Boolit Master

Lyman Brass Smith powder measure question...

Does anyone know if the drop tube body from the Brass Smith will fit the 55? Looks like it might... but may be to big to slide in the bottom of the measure.

From your question I assume you have a 55 and you want to have it fit a 7/8x14 standard thread die station.
    Last time I checked Lyman still had adapters that will let you do just that. As I recall they were $17.99.
    These adapters can be found at other places for around the same price.
    Ebay has them, but often priced a bit to high.
    Leo

Boolit Master

I want to mount it in the steel bar on the RCBS stand and have a long enough drop tube to fill a load box worth of cases.

Load box? Not sure what that is. If you mean a loading tray then I know what that is.
    I have several 55's. They mount with the clamp onto most anything. Is there enough room on your RCBS stand to just clamp it on?
    I use load trays. Most hold 50 cases. I can lift the whole tray up to the measure, dump a charge then move to the next case or have one tray on one side of the measure with cases, another on the other side empty, then lift one case, charge and set in the other tray. This is the method I use.
    Lifting the tray full of cases gets heavy.
    Having the down tube of the measure set at a height you can just slide on the bench so each cases lines up the charge the case may work. I would be afraid of powder missing the case without the case mouth up against the drop tube.
    If you want to try this I might suggest you build a mount that can hold your 55 at the height you want. Perhaps a 6" piece of 2x4 held up by 3" pieces of 2x4 and 3 inch pieces of 1x4 to get the height you need. Even shims on 1/4" and 1/2" plywood cut to 3"x4"
    A couple long 1/4" bolts to bolt the blocks to the bench top. Have the bolts long enough for the tallest case you load and then use what ever shims needed to match the cases you want to load.
    Leo