Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vicarious 44-40 Pressure Testing

Boolit Grand Master

Vicarious 44-40 Pressure Testing

Vicarious 44-40 Pressure Testing

Savvy Jack has done considerable pressure testing of the 44-40 cartridge in a special fixture. His work mainly revolved around testing Black Powder loads. While commendable Savvy’s tests did not answer several questions on loads Outpost75 proffered. Winter had also set which severely restricted Savvy’s ability to test loads. Even though I test pressures via the Oehler M43 PBL (Savvy Jack uses a Pressure Trace System) I do not have a 44-40 test barrel. However, I do have a 44 Magnum test barrel.

Based on Savvy Jack and Outpost75s exchange I wondered if there was a way to correlate pressures obtained in the 44 magnum cartridges to the 44-40 cartridge(?). I had measured the case capacity of both cartridges using RL7 powder and found the case capacity of the cartridges (both were W-W cases) was very close.

Attachment 266142

I had read in the past that given equal loads the pressures in the 44-40 would be about 95% of those in the 44 Magnum. Thus I pondered to Outpost75 the following hypothesis;

“ …I’ve measured the capacities or W-W 44-40 and W-W 44 magnum cases every way from Sunday and found they have essentially the same capacity. So, if I pressure test loads in 44 magnum cases in the 44 Magnum test barrel might they not give comparable pressures or at least a useful correlation figure? “ It was decided through further discussion I would pressure test some of Outpost’s 44-40 loads and my own 44-40 loads in 44 Magnum cases. Then selected known pressure loads could be chronographed in the same OM Vaquero revolver with 7 ˝” barrel using the original 44-40 cylinder and the 44 Magnum cylinder from my FTBH Ruger 44 magnum. The Ruger FTBH 44 Magnum cylinder fits, indexes and has the same barrel/cylinder gap as the original 44-40 cylinder.

Attachment 266143Attachment 266144

Thus, we theorized if the same load in the different cartridges in the same revolver gave essentially the same velocity [there is always be some variation to be expected though] then we could assume the pressure to be the same. If not, would the differences be consistent enough that we could deduce a correlation factor such as the “95%” figure previously mentioned?

With that in mind I received from Outpost75 test samples of two of his bullets to test; the 43-206H and the 43-230G, both from Accurate moulds. I supplied two bullets also; the Lee 429-200-RF and the Lee TL430-240-SWC which I most often use in the 44-40 cartridge. All the bullets were sized .430 and lubed with BAC. Those four cast bullets would cover the most used weight ranges used in the 44-40 cartridge.

Attachment 266145

The testing would be conducted in two phases; phase one would be pressure testing the selected loads in the Contender 44 Magnum test barrel. Pressure data would be measured and processed via the Oehler M43 PBL. Phase two would be chronographing in the Ruger OM Vaquero via an Oehler M35P chronograph with the start screen at 10 yards from the muzzle in both 44-40 cases and 44 Magnum cases selected from the pressure tested loads using the two different cylinders. Some of the 44-40 loads would also be chronographed in the Chiappa M92 carbine just for the information.

All cases used in both pressure testing in the Contender test barrel, the Ruger OM Vaquero revolver and the Chiappi M92 44-40 carbine in cartridges of 44 SPL, 44-40 and 44 Magnum were W-W cases. They were sized and loaded in RCBS dies for both cartridges. WLP primers were used throughout. Each bullet was seated to the crimp groove and a light crimp applied just enough to prevent bullet set back in a tube magazine. The TL SWC was seated to and crimped in the front lube groove. No set back or bullet jump was encounter during testing in the revolver or M92 lever action.

The initial pressure testing of the selected loads would be done in my 44 Magnum Contender barrel;

Attachment 266146

The line connected to the strain gauge (shown in the photo) is connected to the Oehler M43 PBL. The strain gauge is permanently affixed to the barrel located at the SAAMI recommended point of transducer location. Previous testing with “reference” ammunition [factory loads of known psi measurement] shows this gives very comparable psi measurement to piezo-transducer measurements. However, there is one thing we must understand when taking psi measurement with a strain gauge. It takes 7,000 + psi to fully obturate most brass cartridge cases to fully seal the chamber and to put stress on the chamber walls [this is why many low pressure loads have “sooty” cases because they do not fully obturate against the chamber walls]. Then, for the strain gauge to measure any “stress” on the barrel steel, it requires several thousand more psi to induce enough stress. Thus, the lowest psi I measured of any shot during the testing was 11,300 psi but since it was with the 44 SPL cartridge I decided to use the lowest measurement obtained in 44 Magnum cases during this test.

The lowest psi measurement during this test with the W-W 44 magnum cases was 13,300 psi. Ergo, I conclude that if any shot fired in W-W 44 Magnum cases does not register a psi measurement then the psi is less than 13,300 psi.

As an example; one of the loads Outpost asked to be tested was his favorite 44-40 load of the 43-230G bullet over 6.0 gr of Bullseye. He pondered if there was any real difference between older Hercules Bullseye and newer Alliant Bullseye. As I had been given an older square tin of Hercules Bullseye which was still sealed, I thought I might be able to answer that question. There was no date on the older tin of powder but it was obviously old…perhaps someone knows when Hercules stopped using those tins?

Attachment 266147

I opened the tin of Bullseye and inspected the powder and found no sign of deterioration, so I loaded a 10 shot string of 6.0 gr of the Hercules Bullseye along with a like test string but with 6.0 gr of current Alliant Bullseye. Both under the 43-230G cast bullet.

Neither test string registered any psi measurement thus we can conclude the psi was less than 13,300. I did track the velocity of each test shot. The average for the Hercules Bullseye load was 965 fps with an ES of 27 fps. The average of the Alliant Bullseye load was 961 fps with an ES of 33 fps. Essentially, we can therefore conclude, the Hercules and Alliant Bullseye powders are basically identical in burn rate per gr of powder. This and other testing demonstrate little change in burn rate, if any at all, between older Hercules and current Alliant powders of the same kind.

Phase one testing results;

All test strings throughout testing (pressure and velocity) were 10 shot strings. The data from loads that were pressure tested in the Contender 44 magnum test barrel;

44 SPL; Outpost75 requested a pressure test of his 44 SPL load with the 43-206H (213 gr) loaded over 6.0 gr Bullseye. It proved to be an excellent load in terms of its internal ballistics and on target performance. Accuracy was excellent, velocity was very uniform with an SD of 11 fps and an ES or 35 fps. The average psi was 14,000 with an SD of 400 psi and an ES of 1,200 psi…..an excellent load.

Data from 44-40 duplication loads tested in 44 Magnum cases in the 44 Magnum Contender test barrel:

429-200-RF (200 gr) with 6.0 gr Bullseye; no pressure measurement thus psi less than 13,300.

429-200-RF with 7.5 gr Bullseye; the average psi measurement was 17,800.

43-206H (213 gr) with 6.0 gr Bullseye; no measurement thus psi less than 13,300.

TL430-240-SWC (242 gr) with 6.0 gr 700X (my Vaquero and M92 load); no psi measurement thus psi less than 13,300.

429-200-RF with 25 gr RL7; only one shot gave a psi measurement of 14,800. The other 9 shots were less than 13,300 psi.

43-206H with 25 gr RL7; the average psi measurement was 17,300.

43-230H (233 gr) with 25 gr RL7; the average psi measurement was 20,300.

TL430-240-SWC with 25 gr RL&; the average psi measurement was 24,400.

Phase two test results:

Six loads were selected to be loaded in both 44-40 and 44 Magnum cases for chronographing via the Oehler M35P using the Ruger OM Vaquero 7 ˝” barrel revolver with both its original 44-40 cylinder and with the FTBH 44 magnum cylinder. I’ll also list the velocities chronographed with selected loads in the 44-40 Chiappa M92 carbine with 20” barrel.

Load………………………44-40 fps…44 Mag fps…M92 fps

429-200-RF/6.0 gr BE……..947……… 1016………..1188

43-206H/6.0 gr BE………...903…………970………..1121

43-230G/6.0 gr BE………...881…………937

TL430-240-SWC/6.0 gr 700X..858……...937………..1061

429-200-RF/25 gr RL7……1053………..1130…… ..1428

43-230G/25 gr RL7………..1071……….1163

TL430-240-SWC/25 gr RL7..1157…........1204……….1488

All loads in 44-40 cases gave less fps than the same load in 44 magnum cases in the same revolver. The average difference is the 44-40 produced, on average, 93.4% as much velocity in the 44-40 cases as the same load did in the 44 Magnum cases. That does seem to suggest that what I had read years back about the 44-40 producing 95% +/- as much psi as with the same load in a 44 Magnum case is correct. So, is there a correlation we can use to determine safe pressure 44-40 loads with pressure testing being done in the 44 Magnum pressure test barrel? It appears so. Since all was equal in the revolver except the chambering and since velocity is directly related to pressure [all other equal as was in this test] I think we can safely conclude a load that produces so much pressure in the 44 Magnum will only produce 93 – 95% of that pressure in the 44-40 cartridge.

Note; nothing in this test is meant to imply any 44 magnum level psi is safe in any 44-40 chambered firearm. This test is only inferring we can find safe 44-40 level psi’s by testing 44-40 level loads in the 44 magnum test barrel.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-12-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thank you for posting your results , I don't load 44-40 but very interesting (who knows I might ) as always from you excellent job and great post.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Thanks Larry! Having measured and authoritative test data beats computerized guessing every time.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Great work Larry and much appreciated!

I don't have the exact dates handy at the moment but I actually started working with 44-40 high velocity loads in a 44 magnum frame revolver (using a 44-40 cylinder) around 2012 somewhat under the wing of John Kort. Trying to estimate a rifle's HV 100 yard impact velocity, I discovered that the velocity produced from a (magnum framed) revolver at the muzzle much replicates such shots. Once I finished those tests I wanted to continue the HV tests using clear ballistics gel to see how the bullets performed at 100 yard impact velocities.

In the meantime John Kort sent me several batches of various lead mix 44-40 Lyman 427098 bullets to test in the gel with 100 yard impact velocities with black powder. The results were astounding.

Also in the works, I wanted to somehow try and come up with a way to test pressures with modern 44-40 loads. Because of the CUP/PSI difference and not knowing a given factory pressure, the wait continued. I doubted my capabilities but by the time Buffalo Bore came out with the 44-40 "Heavy", I had what I needed. After nearly five years or so, I was able to get the Pressuretrace II module from Jim Ristow at RSI. Jim really took his time and walked me through the process. The other missing link I need was offered by SAAMI dated 2015....11,000psi was equal to 13,000cup for the 44-40. With Buffalo Bores "Heavy" and the 11,000psi.... I was well on my way! Buffalo Bore assured me that the 44-40 "Heavy" met SAAMI max pressure specs meaning the loads should be at or just below 11,000psi so I set the Pressuretrace to 11,300psi using Buffalo Bore as my control.

Since then I tested nearly 1,000 rounds of 44-40 loads, including some black powder loads, and all but two tests were consistent in over all pressures. I wanted to test more but me, computers and electrical gadgets just don't work well together. There is nothing like driving all the way to the range and then something not want to work. It was nearly always either the trace (computer) or the chronograph...lol

I have since sent the PT module to Larry and hopefully he can put it to good use. I think he would certainly be better off with a 44-40 TC barrel than what I am using but I will send him what I have when he is ready for it.

Before I finished John passed away. Outpost75 has been a great help to me as well. THANKS OUTPOST!

I hope these links work but below should be my tests results and my final basic comparison and "go-to" loads for the 44-40.

I also used the Quick Load program and there were way too many variations to be anywhere near accurate. QL used CIP, not even close to CUP nor PSI (Piezo).

Also, converting PSI to CUP is dangerous but since the 44-40 is a low pressure cartridge......

Regarding CUP ratings in manuals, while the correlation between CUP and psi is too poor for reliably converting one unit to the other over a range of chamberings, within a single chambering the conversion by the ratio of the CUP and psi maps within the SAAMI system is going to be close enough for practical work. That is, 11000 psi divided by 13000 CUP is 0.846 psi/CUP for the 44-40, so you can take the CUP numbers in the Lyman Manual and multiply them by 0.846 to get a reasonable expectation of psi. Conversely, dividing psi by that same number will come close to CUP." ~Uncklenick
    ......I think it can be safe to assume that 18,000psi is close to 22,000cup but is strictly a guess based off of psi test results compared to cup HV loads in Lyman's 49th manual.. https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...essure-testing

USE THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK is intended for discussion purposes only.

My "Go-To" Loads
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u7y...ew?usp=sharing

Test Results (note powder tabs at bottom of charts)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=651705900

John Kort
    https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...tors/john-kort
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-12-2020 at 01:14 PM.

As a 44-40 user and admirer- thank you all for your work. If I remember correctly, Hercules changed from the metal cans to cardboard containers in the mid 1970's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I really hate you guys, now I got to dig out my old 44-40 and try some loads, to many ideas and not enough time.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I wish I had thought to load minimum 44 Mag loads. I think there was one or two that were close but not close enough to be reliable on pressures comparisons. I think only the Reloder 7 loads.

I also wish I could have tested Bullseye loads.

I did want to make sure everyone understands my tests were based on SAAMI max pressure settings on a factory cartridge that produced 1,350fps. There are several things to compare from my tests results.

Bullet hardness, diameter and design plays a large factor in pressure results. Using Reloader 7 with 240gr bullets of different designs produced that largest deviation results. Smaller diameter bullets produced less pressure than larger diameter bullets with the same load and bullet. CCI300 primers produced less pressure in some high pressure tests than WLPs. I use CCI300 primers on all HV loads to help reduces pressures.

Pressures in firearms with "larger" chambers than the test barrel should a tad lower but not much.

Other variations can also change the actual pressures in your firearms. Bullet seating depth, hard crimps vs soft crimps, large diameter bullets in small bore dimensions...just to name a few.

Replicated black powder results

If the Buffalo Bore data is set too weak then the replicated black powder 14,000 psi, 12,000 psi and 10,000 psi loads would record higher pressures.

If the Buffalo Bore data is set too weak then the Lyman manual load results would record higher pressures.

If the Buffalo Bore data is set too high then the Winchester Super-X Factory load data would be even lower than 6,500psi and Winchester factory Cowboy Loads would not even register

Buffalo Bore set to 11,300psi.....no max load "cushion".

Smokeless Powder Results

Winchester Super-X factory load (1980's) pressures, two ten shot tests resulted in 6,600psi and 6,800psi giving a large max load cushion
    Cowboy loads would not register

Magtech Cowboy Loads barely hit 6,000psi and too low for reliable readings.

Replicated BP loads hit 14,000psi with 1800's brass, 12,000psi with original early 1900's brass and between 9,000psi -10,000psi with modern brass

Various Lyman "12,000cup" normal loads came in between 9,000psi and 9,300psi respectively giving a max load "cushion".
    Lyman's HV loads varied between 12,000psi and 18,000psi respectively, the majority allowing for a small "cushion".

18,000psi seams to be close to 22,000cup.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-13-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Larry, I read your article about this in "The Fowling Shot" thanks for the testing and writing that you do.

Jack, my thanks to you as well.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    It's stuff like this on this sight that is so interesting. I personally have no use for the info, as I no longer reload 44-40, but I can only applaud the ingenuity that went into this test and file away the info on a just in case basis. Who knows, an 1873 might someday follow me home.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a real fan of of the 44-40 . I use the LEE 427-200 RN cast bullet in my Marlin 1894 , made in " 93 or 94 " . It has a groove diameter of .426 . I use 6.5 grs of Bullseye power . It has become my std load for that rifle . I wish I had a revolver to go with my rifle , I really enjoy the 44-40 that much . I'm still looking . Regards, Paul

I promise the next time I see Bullseye I will get some. Never have tried it.

Bullseye, since 1898. Even back in the 1930's, Sharp reported for 44-40 Revolvers -
    200gr JSP, 6.7gr, 955fps @ 15,000cup
    205gr Cast, 6.6gr, 935fps @ 15,000cup

Larry's results are right on target!

Larry-(44 Magnum)
    429-200-RF (200 gr) with 6.0 gr Bullseye; no pressure measurement thus psi less than 13,300 psi
    429-200-RF with 7.5 gr Bullseye; the average psi measurement was 17,800 psi. 18,612psi should be very close to 22,000cup for the 44-40

SAAMI max pressure for the 44-40 is 13,000cup or 11,000psi.

Alliant website shows a max load of 6.1gr @ 885fps for a revolver. My guess (there is a reason why I don't gamble) would be somewhere around 9,500psi if they are including a typical "cushion" which I assume they would be since this is listed under "cowboy loads".

With only a 1.5gr difference in Larry's data, there is not much room for error from low pressures to high pressures.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-14-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Certainly agree with Savvy Jack if one is loading 44-40s for original 1st gen Colt SAs and rifles listed in Lyman's Group I (Weaker Action) firearms SAAMI MAP should be adhered to for safe loads. Several are listed as tested.

However, in Lyman's Group 2 (strong actions) category Lyman lists 44-40 loads upwards of 21,900 CUP pressure. There are several loads I tested that fall under that pressure level. Obviously the M92 and Ruger OM Vaquero I used in the test fall within the "strong actions" category.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    , in Lyman's Group 2 (strong actions) category Lyman lists 44-40 loads upwards of 21,900 CUP pressure. There are several loads I tested that fall under that pressure level. Obviously the M92 and Ruger OM Vaquero I used in the test fall within the "strong actions" category.
    I don't have all of my data in front of me at the moment but here are the Lyman loads I tested for the 44-40 and the data recorded with the PressureTrace II. Maybe this can help with some comparrisons.

The 17,832psi Unique load should be pushing Lyman's 21,000cup if I recall correctly.
    Attachment 266218

I did not note Lyman's 49th pressures or velocity so I will add them here respectively.

8.5gr Unique - 981fps @ 13,300cup
    16gr 2400 - 1,183fps @ 11,900cup
    18.5gr IMR4227 - 1,212fps @ 11,600cup
    ---
    ---
    ---
    10.2gr Unique - 1,282fps @ 19,600cup
    20gr 2400 - 1,638fps @ 19,000cup
    20.5gr IMR4227 - 1,455fps @ 19,700cup
    10.5gr Unique - 1,410fps @ 19,700cup
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-14-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Savvy, you've a memory like a bear trap.....
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Great info guys, thanks for all you did and sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Savvy, you've a memory like a bear trap.....
    LOL! Nope, I found my video on youtube and got the data from there.

Back when I was being accused of trying to make the 44-40 into a 44 Magnum.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJTuhN6doKw

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT0FDPAhHf0

The 44-40 is no .44 Magnum!
    It’s much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 44-40 is no .44 Magnum!
    It’s much better.
    You just gave me PTSD!

Boolit Master
    Larry, thanks much for having run the data, done the work and provided much food for thought. I had a friend who loaded for the .44-40 in a '92 and wanted to reproduce the "High-Speed" loadings, but with slower powders. We hadn't heard of the 95% idea, but I figured there had to be some relationship, going from a smaller to a larger case with identical loads. This was back in pre-internet days, and we always wondered how to safely borrow/modify .44 Mag loadings without being on thin ice. If I can find him, I'll send him a link to this thread.

Just curious, to be within the higher pressure limit, say 21,000cup in strong action class. Is H110 not a good powder to use because of? The amount of grains used would less than ideal for a good burn? Does anyone use H110 for 44wcf and have good results?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast