Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionPBcastco
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 357 project

Banned

Rossi 357 project

Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-25-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Cool

Why fix what aint broke???

I have a couple WFN molds that wont chamber in mag or Maxi chambers. I use a 38 case and shoot them in the mag and I use a Dan Wesson case and shoot them in the maxi.

Why? Cause the shorter case allows better bullet looks then seating deep in a mag or max case. I dont consider myself very OCD. But some things just need to
    Look "right".

Like the std ojive bullets in a 22 Hornet. They just dont look right!!

38 is a far better carbine round as your using it then as a snub gun caliber. 44 Spl rules that roost IMHO.

Dont ASSUME that the twist won't work with heavies. Just cause the internet or some "commando" told ya so. It aint dangerous. TRY for yourself!! Worst case you see oblong holes and inaccuracy. Its likely going to be slight. Meaning SLIGHT oblong holes. Sometimes a lil more velocity can help stabilize.

Id just shoot and enjoy

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

What I should have said is.

Why waste the $$!! Its gonna do exactly what it does right now... I have a few wild cats myself. But they where built cause what I had couldnt so what I wanted...

Having said that... 100% understand ya want what ya want and here in America ya dont need to justify any such wants!! .

I saw a Marlin all case colored and octagon barreled that really tripes my trigger. It wont do anything my 1894 357 cant ceptin maybe look better. But I would like to have one!!

CW

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Thats what I am trying to tell ya!! DONT DRINK THAT KOOLAIDE!!

I doubt your gonna see unstabulized bullets! You can have quite good accuracy with a wibbling bullet too! But what will happen when that bullet impacts something its gonna tumble and probably harshly. A Tumbling bullet inside a target is gonna be every bit and probably more devestatingbthan a expanding HP that tracks straight but expands.

Im just a guy on the internet to you. Good luck with what ever ya do man!!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-12-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have you tired 180 gr bullets in the Rossi? How did they compare accuracy wise?

If you have a 3 MOA gun with 125-158 gr bullets and 3.5 MOA with 180's it may answer the "is it worth it" question. IMHO the .357 is a maximum 100 yard deer rifle anyway. If you need more range and hitting power, getting a .30/30 might be another approach.

BTW, I have three .38/.357's and three .30/30 lever actions but do not hunt with them. Love shooting the .38's but if I had to hunt with one of my lever actions the .30/30's would get the nod.
    Don Verna

You just know that after you've shot the conversion for awhile you'll say, "I wish it had a little more power. Like a .357. Oh, that's what I had, wasn't it?"

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-17-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Banned
    Edited

Banned
    Edited

Moderator Emeritus

If you are paying $1 a lb for alloy, the cost difference in 10,000 rds of 125 gr vs 170 gr is about $64.25. If you shoot a lot you might see the savings this century as it is still young.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Thats like saying if owning a 308 win the natural progression is always going to a 30-06.
    Uhhh...well.....isn't it? Seriously, though-- isn't that one of the pluses of a .357, that you can shoot .38s in it to your heart's content, but when you want to step it up a bit the potential is there. So, one could say that you're cutting off one arm to experience the novelty of being left with only one.

The .357 is a nice carbine, especially the Marlin. I used to own one, but sold it as shooting it seemed like a noisy pellet gun, with no recoil and no steam. Sometimes I've wished I had it back, but other times not so much. If you convert and limit your rifle to .38 Spec. I think you'll regret it after awhile.

What does your friend charge to turn a rifled blank into a 92/ Rossi profile .38 custom twist barrel? The Uberti may cost less after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We dont have Koolaid here, I had to google it, and the saying., Its funny a site about accumulating a massive variety of bullet moulds that really dont need to exist but for to provide users with enjoyment, but an oddball chambering gets folks worrying about my choices in life. I'll withdraw this post and keep it going on AR gunsmithing forum I think.
    Wow! Seems a bit narrow but you didn't ask me. You did however ask opinions and like the nether regions ... everybody has one.

Having said this ... your premise of a dedicated 38 special chamber has merit. This way you get a chambered rifle with no jump out of a 357 mag chamber when shooting 38 spcl. The other thing is a faster twist barrel to stabilize the heavy's.

Having re-read your post ... you did NOT ask opinions. Srry for the missunderstanding.
    Last edited by bigted; 08-12-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've recently read about running 38 spl 148gr wad cutters in a 1:10 9mm barrel to get them to stabilize at long range. Might be something to think about.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Banned
    Edited

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What does your friend charge to turn a rifled blank into a 92/ Rossi profile .38 custom twist barrel? The Uberti may cost less after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The ubertis here in Australia will run way more. We are paying almost $2500 for them now with the new "covid import price hikes". And as mentioned, not that anyone seems to be reading my whole posts, I would not be comfortable running +P in the uberti. In 357 they hold up, but no one is sure what the internal strength differences are between the special chambered rifles( 38 and 44) and the mag models( 357 and 44 mag)
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-13-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Banned
    Edited

Boolit Buddy
    I think the OP should have his Rossi rebarreled to .38SPL with whatever rifling twist he likes, and post pictures of it and the results on target. I’ve seen less sensible gunsmithing projects here in the past, and, after all, it’s his rifle and $$$.

I seldom use .357 magnum in my Rossi 92 carbines.

Boolit Master

We dont have Koolaid here, I had to google it, and the saying., Its funny a site about accumulating a massive variety of bullet moulds that really dont need to exist but for to provide users with enjoyment, but an oddball chambering gets folks worrying about my choices in life. I'll withdraw this post and keep it going on AR gunsmithing forum I think.
    It sounds like I have offended you in some way. That was not at all the tact or intension.

I commented from personal experience to access what I saw and obviously something was lost in that translation.

You do you! Enjoy what ya come up with!! Take pics and post them so we can see too!

May god bless,

CW

FYI my Koolaide comment was to address must and widespread misunderstanding if rifling twists and there effect on bullets. (We dont know what each other knows or understands) I sounded to me as if you where going off what ya read or someone told ya. It was not at all a derogatory or maligning comment directed at you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast