RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi 357 project

Yeah--methinks you're offending too easily. True, I tried to advise you with some personal history and experience, but tried to include a little underlying humor which you apparently missed. It's absolutely nothing to any of us what you do with your rifle, nor should it be.
    Good luck with your project.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Fellas as my Rossi 357 runs 38 specials with wide meplat bullets so well, I was thinking of getting a friend who is a good barrel maker to put a 1:16 twist barrel on the gun and chamber it 38 special. Reasons.. well to waste money mostly. I never had a great reason for modifying guns beyond that. But really just to have a 38 special on the 1892 with decent twist. Could run 180-200 grain bullets and use it like a mini 44-40 or 'long barrel 38-44', 1200fps for most things.
    I could get a uberti in 38 special but I'd be a little nervous about pressures and secondly it works out about the same price as rebarreling a Rossi here anyway.
    It looks as if some agreed with your reasoning and you took offense....?

BTW, I was talked into something similar over 45 years ago. I had a S&W M52 and had a spare barrel. My mentor reasoned a 1-10 twist stub barrel would give a bit better accuracy than the stock barrel (think is was 1-18) shooting low powered 148gr WC's. It was a good conversion and, being young and not having a lot of money, he did the work for free. My only cost was for the Douglas barrel. I put thousands of rounds through it and no issues at all.

Not sure if you could reline your Rossi with a faster twist barrel but others may know. Might save a few $$ if it is feasible.

Enjoy your project and let us know how it works out.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-17-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    I like your idea, if 3.5 MOA was all I got from a rifle I'd be looking at a rebarrel also. Your better twist looks good to.
    Hope this works out for you. Aaron

Boolit Grand Master
    My opinion is that it is your rifle and your money, do what you want.

If it works, fine. If it doesn't, at least you have learned something.

At the very least, you have enough experience to realize that project guns are money pits that you will never get out of them what you put into them.

Robert

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-17-2020 at 08:11 PM.

If your Rossi feeds your proposed .38 Special load 100% now, be sure that the new barrel face matches. All three of mine fed .38s better than .357s anyway so there is that. My unsolicited opinion is that a 92 should only be chambered for WCF cartridges. Drift alert, sorry.

Just an aside to everybody ... I would encourage everybody to re-read the original post.

Note there are no requests for opinion.
    Note there is a statement only for what he is considering doing.

Simple no? Like many ... he has considered what he wants to wind up with ... also that there is recognition that it is going to take many penny's to construct a 92 style lever gun chambered in 38 Special AND with a correct faster twist barrel that hopefully will stabilize heavy full meplate boolits.

Personally I think that this is a good experiment for a unique chambered repeating rifle on a nice lite platform.

This is rite up our alley. I for one certainly look forward to not only seeing your new project finished but a field report as to the success of your theory.

Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    The one thing I didn't understand about the Rossi's was the deal with the barrel twists? Slow twists in just about all calibers, the main reason a grabbed a few Japchesters which isn't a bad thing at all.

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-17-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to have one too. What is the exchange rate to US dollars?
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned
    Edited
    Last edited by mickbr; 08-25-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have daydreamed about a 38 Blackout for years.

10" twist and a 280-300 grain cast HP and a suppressor.

Once it expands it will be a smaller diameter than a 250-300 gr 45 and will penetrate better because the smaller expansion.

My 250 NOE 45 colt HP mushrooms to almost 80 cal and penetrates only 3 milk jugs/12" gel. Most deer rounds penetrate 4-7 jugs/16-30" gel. My NOE 124 TC HP for 9mm expands to 60 cal and penetrates 3 jugs. Imagine a 250+ grain .358 that mushrooms to 60 cal. Definitely a deer bullet.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...gc-2pb-thumper

If I went through with this, I would redesign the chamber and throat to look like a 9mm with a headspace ledge at the end of the brass and a parallel throat and leade, rather than a toilet bowl.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0 View Post
    The one thing I didn't understand about the Rossi's was the deal with the barrel twists? Slow twists in just about all calibers, the main reason a grabbed a few Japchesters which isn't a bad thing at all.
    I've often wondered the same, but as someone posted above about the "twist rate Kool-Aid", not all things are equal. I have a Rossi 24" hex barrel in 357 and it does very well with 185gr (187gr) WFN GC'd bullets IF I use the right powder. Tried IMR4227 and it was full on keyholeville, but shoots remarkably with H110. I consistently maintain 2" groups at 100yds through a Marbles tang sight. I just wish the Rossi ejector/bolt face fit was better. A full-on powder load makes for some interesting looking case heads...

I think it would be fun as heck to pop some hogs with my 185gr cast pet loads.

I apologize in advance for veering off the OP's subject, but just can't help myself.
    Last edited by oley55; 08-16-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    I apologise for any misunderstandings on this thread. It appears the mods are deleting my posts on other threads. No infractions, or advisements, the posts are just vanishing in the night, like a guy caught workshipping christianity in Iran.I guess being an old Aussie vet my mode of speech is too much for the free speech nation. I edited my above posts which show too much disagreement.
    I'm gonna climb out on a limb here and suggest something else is happening to your posts (no idea what though). The moderators are pretty professional IMO and deleted or moved posts always seem to have a message from the moderator explaining the reason for there action. I'd suggest you contact the moderators directly.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Just use 357mag brass and load it ,up ,down, light ,heavy boolits

I would say do what you like to the Rossi .
    They still make them and compared to everything else they are cheap, or I should say inexpensive, not cheap.
    You can always buy another, not like they are rare.
    Personally I love my Rossis'

Your gun, your rules. I chopped one of my 357 Rossi's to build a 11.5" SBR.
    Keep moving forward!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12