MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help w/9mm suggestions

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    My son and his wife both want a 9mm. I know nothing about these except I've seen a few fellows shooting Glock 19's at the range. Any suggestions? Needs to be "middle of the road" price range.
    I had family members ask me the same thing. This is going to be their first pistol. The husband researched the internet and decided on a Glock 19.

I suggested that he hold and coonfinger one first and come over and handle my G19 along with about 6-7 other nines.

He did not like the Glock at all. He decided on an all steel Pistol instead. My daughter was open to whatever he liked.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Most wives' hands are smaller and weaker than their husbands. She needs a handgun she can hold properly and reload easily. In 9mm, the S&W EZ is a game changer. He can properly grip a double-stack, she likely will need a single stack in a 9mm semiautomatic. Guys, don't pick a handgun for your wife!

Boolit Master
    It's best if they can shoot them . I have seen many women and men pick a really small light gun for a first gun because it feels good in the store and when they get to range and shoot several they are not at all thrilled with the original choice .
    I also tend to recommend revolvers to people that want a gun for defense but are not particularly interested in shooting enough to become competent with operating the gun. Just checking to see if a semi-auto is loaded can cause a jam. DA revolvers are much simpler and less prone to operator error IMHO.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    It's best if they can shoot them . I have seen many women and men pick a really small light gun for a first gun because it feels good in the store and when they get to range and shoot several they are not at all thrilled with the original choice .
    I also tend to recommend revolvers to people that want a gun for defense but are not particularly interested in shooting enough to become competent with operating the gun. Just checking to see if a semi-auto is loaded can cause a jam. DA revolvers are much simpler and less prone to operator error IMHO.
    The flip side of revolvers being supposedly more reliable (I've had more fight stopping issues with revolvers than semi-autos) is that revolvers generally recoil more, are harder to shoot more accurately, are more expensive, require more expensive ammunition, and hold far less ammunition than a comparable semi-auto.

If you're dealing with a moron that can't grasp the concept of racking a slide before firing in a semi-auto vs. just pulling the trigger on a revolver, then yeah, maybe a revolver is better for them. Or, if they lack the hand strength to rack a slide...

But for most folks, a good semi-auto has way more advantages than disadvantages over a revolver.

My girlfriend is in the market and will likely end up with a Ruger Security 9. Her parents are unique and I actually recommended a Taurus .22 Magnum revolver. Why? Because the father has MS and can't hold or rack the slide of a semi-auto. The mother has terminal cancer and is weak as well. Neither has the ability to load rounds in a magazine. $400 is a LOT of money for them.

9-shots of .22 Magnum for under $400 in a pistol that is light, simple, and dependable is perfect for them.

I might actually buy one for them just so they will feel safer in their rural home.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123