RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Current harbor freight colors

Current harbor freight colors

It looks like HF has scaled down their selection to white and black. I pass an HF every day and wondered if this paint is any good?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    It looks like HF has scaled down their selection to white and black. I pass an HF every day and wondered if this paint is any good?
    Don't bother, not worth the money if it's free! The color is weak, coverage thin and adhesion mediocre. I started with it just to experiment now I have a couple of pounds I won't use after I bought better powder. I have mixed the HF in with better powder just to get rid of it at about a 3:1 ratio. I prefer the better powders in clear, red & blue

Has anybody tried the "other" Harbor Freight colors? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Freight-colors

Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-powders-don-t

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...okes-pc-powder

Boolit Master

there are some that swear by it, but there are far more that swear at it. do yourself a favor and get the starter pack from smoke, it takes a lot of the variables out for first time shake and bakers.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Don't bother with it. White sprayed pretty good, red will tumble coat, black is trash. To many good suppliers to mess with HF PC. Peruse this thread for good colors and suppliers. IIRC we got about 8 yrs experience with the stuff now.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    move on no reason to start out with bad powder. i tried it and it did not work good. went with smoke's powder and never looked back.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I used to use the red a lot because it was easy to get. I tried the other colors, and it was terrible. I could get the black to tumble well, but the finnish was so abrasive they went back into the pot.

I used up the HF red I had last year. I made an order from smoke4320 and have been one happy camper. His JD green, traffic red and Signal blue, tumble very easily with perfect results. I have his white and gloss black too, but I need low humidity to get them to work.

Banned

I've never used either white or black, I originally bought the HF yellow. THe yellow is almost ok, I'd use it in a pinch. Later I bought some HF red and it's not too bad. After I'm through the red I'll be buying only from Smoke here on the forums. I have heard nothing but great reviews of his powders, plus he tells you how well all of his stuff works.
    I'd say stay away from HF and just buy from Smoke.

Banned

I used the red. All you had to do was heat the bullets a little and they covered fine. Otherwise I had to do them 2X to get good coverage.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HF matte black is excellent sprayed on - like I do all my powders. Do NOT try tumble coating with it. The matting agent kills the teeny static charge generated. You need 10's of thousands of volts from a professional electrostatic coronal discharge gun to get it to stick. I have coated many MANY boolits with HF matte black with excellent success....AND no barrel wear like some moan about.......................but have no proof.

Still, for someone just tumbling, go wity powders proven to work from Smoke and other suppliers and avoid all that HF now sells.

banger

Banned
    gnappi PM me, IF you pay shipping, I'll send you some good PC to try

I like: "there are some that swear by it, but there are far more that swear at it" I'll remember that.

I contacted smoke4320 and I'll see about getting some.

Conditor22 PM sent

Boolit Buddy
    HF white is good at two things: looking awful and making your bore look awful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	266289

Boolit Master
    Looks like HF stands for “half full”!

With all the work one puts into smelting, casting and boolit filament, the least a person can do is to “half full” coat them?

NOT!

So the next time you want to go “half full”, count me gone!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-16-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I agree the red is ok, However I picked up 2lbs of black with the 20% coupon and so far it seems to have been just fine. done 3k 9MM HP
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: