WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Dropping the trigger pull of my Single set trigger 4# to 1.5OZ

Boolit Master

Dropping the trigger pull of my Single set trigger 4# to 1.5OZ

A while back I built up a 45 caliber round ball shooting muzzle loader pistol to be used during our monthly black powder pistol matches (if we can ever get them started up again??!!). I bought the barrel, trigger and lock from Track of the Wolf and found a large chunk of walnut at Frost Hardwood in San Diego for only $25. Took me about 2 1/2 months or maybe more to get it working well with 28 grains of Goex FFG and a 0.440 patched round ball. But I was never happy with the trigger pull no matter how I adjusted it??!! So I did what I usually do, called my mentor and he said "did you polish all the parts?" No I said so he said take it apart and get to work! So I did and there is only one pin and it came out easily enough and after cleaning my lube the parts felt like sandpaper when rubbed together side to side and there were some rough edges hear and there AND the pivot holes were a tad to large so there was wobbling of all three pieces! So out came the polishing stones and after three days of spare time polishing the parts were smooth as glass when rubbed together! I went through my drawers of very small drill bits/taps/screws/ETC and found a bit that just barely fit with no wobble and it actually fit the holes in the plate.

While this was going on I ordered an electronic trigger pull gauge by Lyman from Midway USA and it came just I got finished. I put the parts back together with no lube or oil and adjusted the "set" screw to just before the trigger tripped so fired up the gauge and tried it......2.1 OZ break! Good heavens, tried it a few more times, same reading so I put a tad bit of RemOil on the parts, let them sit, tried it again and now 1.5 to 1.6 OZ break amount! Installed the trigger and it was the same when in the pistol. Wow I was sure happy so I called my mentor and told him, of course Doug I said you are right and he was happy. I tried the 50 caliber Schuetzen rifle I made this spring with double set triggers and it breaks at 1.1 OZ so I was really happy! I did not take it apart but might in the future.
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I absolutely love double set triggers, I can not understand why they are not more common on modern rifles. They are my favorite feature of the Thompson Center muzzleloaders. My pull gauge starts at 8 ounces, and the gauge doesn't even blip with my trigger set. The best part about them, is if you don't want the light trigger, simply don't use it. The unset trigger is about 5 pounds on mine, and is plenty usable for hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the set trigger on my .36 LePage muzzle loading pistol - just a couple of ounces. Really nice feature.