Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: anybody own

Boolit Grand Master

anybody own

a logosol chain saw mill the very portable one?
    thinking about getting one have land and have all the firewood I need so
    I am part beaver and like to build will cut my own lumber on a limited as needed proposition
    any one have one?
    what do you think ?
    Is it worth it to get or should I keep buying lumber?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

anybody own

I would pull up YouTube videos and see what everyone is using. I’ve seen some very impressive portable mills being used in the videos.
    R/Griff

I have a huge pine tree in my back yard that you can have if you come get it. It was hit by lightning in February. It finally gave up the ghost.

With a little practice and a good eye all ya need is a chainsaw let me see if i can find a video or somethin
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

https://youtu.be/JkV4VPLAq84
    It takes a little practice but isnt to hard I've used this method before and is a pretty useful skill
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Ive been eying these for a while, id sure like to have one. Would sure beat my homemade alaskan sawmill. ( made from a piece of plywood, some all thread, and multiple pairs of 2" pvc chunks. And 2 of the straightest 2x4s I can find.) If your gonna make 2x4s its not worth it. But if you are making planks or beams it will pay for itself over and over. Especially if your milling hardwoods.

Making the kant is time consuming, with a 22" log 14' long took 30 minutes to get 3 square sides. Then another 20 minutes of sawing I had more than enough to deck my bridge.

only downside I see is the longer your bar the more diflection your gonna get. So sawing 16" logs will be about max dia.

Boolit Master
    Back in the day, we carved up a 6.5 foot Redwood with a 6 foot Alaskan Mill and an 090 Powerhead.

I just bought another 3 foot Alaskan, $250 from Baileys. Got ripping chain too and $30 off for spending $300. You can get a Chinee one on ebay for $85 but the Mark III Alaskan is USA Made and heavier duty than even the old Alaskan.

I've seen the logosol demos live at Baileys demo days and it didn't impress me. The standard one is too short and adding length costs money. I would like to get the Lucas Mill though. I've run the 10".

I just finished making brackets that will hold 2, 1 1/2 inch steel pipes lengthwise above the log for a max 20+ foot cut. The assembly is called a ladder and provides a level surface for the Alaskan Mill to make the first cut. A couple Oaks came down last Winter 23 and 28 inches with no branches for the first 40 feet. There is a bunch of Cedar too.

I just looked on Bailey's site. Looks like $2K to start for a 12' and up to $4700 for bigger/better. They say the frame is good for 1 metric ton but it's logs against sheet metal.

I'm going to mill on a gentle slope and roll the logs onto fir 4x4s elevated to a decent working height on the downhill side.

A lot depends on your sawing method. I am not going to make cants as that wastes the wood in 2 lizards (bark covered off cuts). I will make a thick first cut and quarter saw that later on a band or circular saw. I will then cut planks with a live edge to be removed or dressed later.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-11-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to use it relatively continually maybe. For more parapetic use look into local guys who have portable sawmills. I am in the suburbs on about a half acre and had a guy back his sawmill into my back yard to cut up a white oak - two 13' logs from one tree. Dried it on my back porch - 1/2" a year. The sawmill is a lot faster (bandsaw) with a lot less waste.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    See if you can find a book called "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Mallof. I think it is out of print but you might get lucky and find a used copy. This book gives instructions on building your own chainsaw mill and they work well. My friend built one years ago and used it to cut lumber to build his cabin out of dead standing trees he got for nothing.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

I was gifted a granberg portable saw mill but lack the power in any of my saws to run it. I do have the smaller one though and it works decently, but I also have been eyeing this:

I used a similar product from HF and it worked fine but it isn't the sturdiest of products. I like that it can possibly use the electric saws as well as smaller gas ones
    Timber Tuff TMW-56 Lumber Cutting Guide
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	818uGP3E9kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	266152

What I have, the big one needs a larger more powerful saw, the smaller one needs the rails, which mine didn't come with, though I do have ones from the larger unit, but it takes longer to put together.
    The granberg mini mill

Name:	G555B_Edging-Mill_-.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	266153
    Alaskan Mill

Name:	ALASKAN-MKIV-48-ASSEMBLED.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	266155
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned

The Harbor Freight one is garbage. If you do, make sure you get the extra warranty they have. Your going to need it

Boolit Master

I have a Haddon mill like the first in Omega's post. I cut timbers for hay wagons; 16 ft 4 by 8's. It uses a factory edge 2x6 as a guide rail which you nail on to the log. It will cut a nice looking cut if you don't change the angle of the blade. I'm happy enough with it, but I would only cut big timbers, beams. I used a Stihl 041 with a 20 inch bar, normal wood cutting chain. The set screw/ locking screw the clamps onto the saw came lose and allowed the chain to hit steel. It was toast quickly. Nice in that is truly portable. A mill requires some way to move the log to and onto the mill; bobcat like.

Banned
    Whatever happened to the Stihl 066?
    Was it replaced with an eco-friendly model?