WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: .40-65 with revolver bullets?

Boolit Bub

.40-65 with revolver bullets?

Has anyone used .41 caliber pistol bullets in .40-65 for fireforming cases?

Boolit Master
    You don't have to use any bullet to fire form a case. When I want to expand a Krag case to make a 40-60 Maynard case I put in 11 grains of Unique, Fill the rest of the case with corn meal, stuff a piece of Kleenex in the case to seal it and fire. It usually forms perfectly, if not, do it again. I should also point out that the case needs to be annealed before forming. I don't understand what cases you are making. 40-65 are simply 45-70 cases necked down.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Fireforming them to the chamber; they always shrink a bit in length the first time they're fired. I've done it with 300-grain bullets, and it works, but seems a waste to use those for that purpose.

Boolit Master
    I just run .45-70 cases in the .40-65 dies and shoot'em at whatever event I'm in. Have never fire-formed them. If your brass is hard, you'll need to anneal, if soft, just size them as is.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master
    Heck, I have shot revolver bullets to plink with my 40-65

Boolit Grand Master

The original 40-65 shot what we would today call revolver bullets. The standard load was a 265 grain or so bullet and the 40-65 was more of a light deer gun than a long range target gun. I shoot light cast bullets all the time in mine.

If I had a 40 65, I would shoot 41 caliber pistol bullets out of it 90% of the time! A nice Winchester 1886 extra lightweight would be super.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I use the same 220gr Rainier plated 41 mag bullet in my 1895 405 win, the 1886 40-82 and 40-65. they all shoot better than I can hold anymore. The bores in the 40-65 and 40-82 are not up to cast, so I tried the plated and didnt look back. Moly coated some to see if it helped with the cleaning and can say I am happy with the results.
    Its to bad that Rainier is out of business, sholda got more when they were closing out..

Boolit Buddy

Firehand, I used cast .41 mag 235 gr bullets when I did the final fireforming on my .400 Whelen.
    It worked very well.
    And it also didn't beat up my shoulder at all.
    I would do it in your .40/65 in a heartbeat and never look back.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Bub
    SOF, could I ask what powder and charge you used for this bullet and .40-65? I've got a bunch for my .41 Mag

Boolit Master
    Use Unique or 4227. You might need to research it more on line. Look for cast bullet data in a pre #45 Lyman reloading manual.
    You can also find data in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy

I have used a number of pistol powders, Unique, Greendot, Rex 3, and several others in different weights with the 220 gr plated. Most of the testing was with the 405 Win, as it fairly duplicated the 40/82 with the exception of bore diameter. I used the 41 mag taper crimp die to do a bit of bullet to bore matching on the 40/82 as the last step. The 40/65 was about the same, and I used the 444 Marlin data for light cast and pistol/shotgun powders as a starting point and worked up to an acceptable accuracy.

the 405 Win got a bit more heat, 210 gr Rem SP and a hefty load of Rel 7... it is very destructive on gooey stuff. 3 shots in the bottom of beer cans full of wet sand at 50 yds shredded them .... 41 mag sp, at 2500fps should be a real supprise on a 100 yd Yote...

Boolit Master
    The 40/65 has staged a comeback for very simple reasons, 400+ grain boolits, a full case of real black powder and the ability to knock those pesky rams (steel) down at 550 yards, without the cumulative effects of recoil over 40 or so shots, as with the 45/70. Barrels are optimized for these long slugs and perform best as such. The Highwalls and Sharps '74s single shots chambered in 40/65 don't lend themselves to light .41 mag. loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If I had a 40 65, I would shoot 41 caliber pistol bullets out of it 90% of the time! A nice Winchester 1886 extra lightweight would be super.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    .429/.430" bullets from a .408 or smaller barrel? Would not chamber even.

A word of caution re: forming .40-65 cases from .45-70 brass: depending on the make of rifle there may be a catch. If the rifle is a 15-20 year old Shiloh Sharps you must start with Remington .45-70 brass. The Shiloh chamber was tight and R-P brass was smaller at the base so works fine but cases formed from W-w .45-70 will not chamber as the base is too large. I know this from having formed cases before the rifle arrived only to learn the cases wouldn't work.
    Shiloh may have changed their reamer since the time period mentioned. I can't say if Starline .45-70 brass would work but since they make .40-65 brass it doesn't matter.

Boolit Bub
    Upnorthwis and Gopher, I tried shooting new-formed cases- .40-65 made from .45-70- with my usual load, and accuracy was not good; this rifle, at least, wants fireformed cases.

Don, these are .410" bullets. Yes, I'm using Starline brass.

After a bunch of digging around, I tried using some .41 Mag cast SWC bullets, sized .410, over 19.0 grains of A5744. At 30 yards(only range could get to) they grouped nicely, and the cases formed nicely to the chamber.

I'll dig some more, find a good starting amount for Unique and try that. And when I can shoot these over the Chrony, I'm curious what velocity they're getting.