WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Holster for SSA in 45 colt

Boolit Buddy

Holster for SSA in 45 colt

Can anyone suggest a good cowboy style holster for the SAA revolvers. There are tons of folks making them out there, but very confusing.

Steve

Boolit Master

I get the plain jane ones california slim jims , and buy a good cartridge belt , buffalo arms I believe is where I bought mine years ago .
    Last edited by FLINTNFIRE; 08-11-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add info

Are you thinking about the TV Western drop loop style holster, or one that rides up at waist level? You're correct that there are a lot of choices out there, from fancy to utilitarian, and inexpensive to well over a couple of hundred dollars. One suggestion, visit Midway USA and use their holster finder feature.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Buffalo Arms has the military-style full-flap holsters to fit the Colt SAA and the Italian reproductions.

Decent workmanship and very affordable.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Hunter makes/made good quality plain holsters. They are a good basic holster, you can go very far up from there, but for a good basic holster I look for a Hunter.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the looks of the TV western ones but I have also seen some of the ones that are at your waist that look pretty darned good. I like the western look and feel. I had on when I had a single six ruger but I am older and fatter now and it won't even go around my leg now. Ha Ha. And then SAA 's in 45 colt are a larger frame than the ruger was. I have seen them cost almost as much as the revolver it's self. That I can't justify.

Steve

Id get a period correct mexican loop holster and money belt
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

This place might have something that strikes your fancy. They have just about anything else you want if you're thinking of taking up Cowboy Action Shooting.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/s...plica-guns.php

Boolit Buddy
    I see some where the trigger is covered or it holsters deeper in the holster so that the trigger is covered, and then I see some where the trigger is exposed, perhaps for a quick draw? Any advantage to either

Steve

I like the ones where the gun is better protected from brush and other crap that likes to tear up a nice finish. The lower cut holsters are mainly for quick draw would be my guess

Boolit Grand Master

You have several issues to consider - is this for display or for carrying in the woods? One is low cut and fancy, the other is protected, probably with an open toe (so crap that falls in falls through) and rather plain because it's gonna get scratched up.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

El Paso saddlery!

I agree with smithnframe. EP Saddlery is very good quality. You can get authentic old time styles. Or more modern designs. I have an open top design for cowboy matches, and a full flap holster when I go hunting. Not cheap but will last a lifetime.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    This place might have something that strikes your fancy. They have just about anything else you want if you're thinking of taking up Cowboy Action Shooting.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/s...plica-guns.php
    That is a cool place and the prices are sure reasonable if the holsters are any good at all. They look to be OK

Steve

Boolit Master

Reason I like the slim jim style is it fits my rugers and ubertis and cap and balls though I have flap holsters for those , price is pretty decent about $25 and they protect and hold , have had none fall out or come loose using in pretty rough terrain and brush , you can add a thong if desired , leather is good quality not some thin flimsy , I have leather holsters for any gun I carry , and the open top put on a cartridge belt rides at waistline fits and works .

Have a quick draw holster and belt it hangs on shelf sees no use , had a lawrence holster and belt one time those were great but I do not believe they are in business anymore .