Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 5" 27-2

Boolit Master

I had two S&W Model 28's(Highway Patrolman) w/6" barrel. I sent the looser of the two to Jim Stroh to be cut to 4" , tuned and refinished. He talked me into 5" barrel. I've never regretted it. One of the best revolvers I own.

The barrel turned plum in less than two years. Really gave it kind of a vintage look.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    Awesome guns !

While I've always found the N-frames to be a bit heavy, they are great shooters !

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Bought this about 25 years ago for $325. Has an interesting serial number. S2403xx. Think perhaps they built it on an older N frame.
    27-1 1960 Change from right to left hand extractor rod
    27-2 1961 Cylinder stop changed, eliminate triggerguard screw
    27-2 1969 Change to "N" serial prefix
    [from "S" which began in 1949]
    - Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Supica and Nahas -

Boolit Master

I have always wanted an early 27 in shooter condition, I find Smiths blue to be the best I have ever seen without high dollar gunsmith work. All of my blue Smiths are 38 Special and down. I do own a few of 6 shot 627's from 2.5" up thru 6 inch. Early on I avoided their blued guns, both my wife and I shot a bunch of revolver and her touch could rust a gun in the time it took to shoot a match on a warm day. She loved recoil for fun shooting, that got her into Lew Horton's snubbies in 357, 10mm, 41 and 44. The 44 was her favorite.

I am beginning to ramble... Beautiful pistol friend!

Boolit Master
    Had a mid 60's vintage 27-2 5", got it used as a HS graduation gift in 68 from the gunshop where I helped out. Sent it back to S@W for a reblue and 3T's. Shot it constantly and 40+ K rounds finally took their toll and had to retire it in 2014. Still miss the heft and feel but sooner or later all good things must end.

I have a 83/8” 27-2 that I bought in package deal with several other S&Ws NIB, cases actually. I don’t think I ever had 83/8” before. The 27 wasn’t the reason for purchase and I had no interest in it. I had 5”NIB and a couple 6” shooters. My Bro was interested in the 83/8” so I told him If he wanted it , he had to deal it before it was shot. I would say out of the box that particular one is the most accurate 357 I’ve ever shot. It shot into 4” at 100yds with factory.

Boolit Master
    Cosmic Charlie -

Just read your comments about Bill Jordan's hand size.

Guess my hands must be of fairly large size, too. Most size #10 gloves are still tight on me.

I went w/ the "N" frame ( for amongst other reasons ) their frame size. The "Ks" and "Ls" are notably short ( for me ) in their backstrap-to trigger distance.
    To fill in the gap to be comparable to the N"-frame spec, custom "K" frame grips would have to have a really large amount of wood between the backstrap and my palm.

I also like the wt increase afforded by the larger "N" frame, as it contributes to recoil control ( IMHO ). I am large enough in stature to be able to conceal my custom heavy barreled M-520 in a " pistol pocket " clipped to my belt; positioned in the small of my back ( under a loose shirt ). Bianchi did not offer a pistol pocket for 4'" "N's ", so I stretched-out 2 of them that Bianchi made for 4" M-19's. Works great !

The smooth design and tapered side profile of the Jordan Trooper stocks makes carrying and drawing from under a shirt as smooth and successful as one could hope for.

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    You have a good deal of company regarding that decision.
    Count me into that " I sold it club" but I finally fixed that. Mine was a 6" nickel and this week a friend solved the dilemma for me. I will not make the same mistake again. This gun is safe at home now. Yes, it is unfired and will stay that way. I know, I know, but I have other 357's if I need to shoot one.Attachment 266362Attachment 266363
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    I bought mine about a 15 years ago. Beautiful 27 no dash 4 screw 5". Barely a turn mark on the cylinder. It was so nice I never took it out and always used my 6" since it had been well loved and used in a previous life and was in the 85% range. Always shot the 6" better as well.

The guy I bought it from wanted it back and offered a pretty sum, for it. So I got 2 new rifles and a shotgun last year.

Didn't mind it leaving too much. I like shooters, not safe queens.

I've had a 27-3, 5 incher, the Anniversary Model for several years....great gun and every bit as good as Skelton said. Mine is a shooter, and easy to carry in an OWB holster when seated on any modern conveyance...about as long a bbl. that makes that possible. But that frame size is just a bit too big for me...the K's work better in my hands...but aren't available in that magic 5" length. But for me, I need thinner stocks to make it fit...no problem when Ahrend was still turning them out.

Accuracy is as good as anything in my safe now...less than 2" at 25 yds from a rest, hand held with any reasonable load. Skeltons 13.5 gr 2400 prescription with any good 158 gr LSWC is the cat's meow with it....GC'd 358156's do as well as my aging eyes can steer and are cheap when cast from wheel weights.

For true, bet the farm, accuracy, mine really perks with Lyman's 35891 sized 0.358"...special brass or magnum makes no matter, they group like homing pigeons.

YMMv Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 09-07-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Count me into that " I sold it club" but I finally fixed that. Mine was a 6" nickel and this week a friend solved the dilemma for me. I will not make the same mistake again. This gun is safe at home now. Yes, it is unfired and will stay that way. I know, I know, but I have other 357's if I need to shoot one.Attachment 266362Attachment 266363
    Get some Birchwood Casey Barricade protectant for it. Stuff really keeps the rust away.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12