Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 5" 27-2

Boolit Master

My 5" 27-2

Bought this about 25 years ago for $325. Has an interesting serial number. S2403xx. Think perhaps they built it on an older N frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200811_090532.jpg  
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

5" N frames are just beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the lousy pic.

I got one of them NIB, CASE. GOT a 6” that I shoot. I’ve got several m19s that I hardly ever shoot because the 27s and 14s seem to be more accurate.

Boolit Master

Have the 3 1/2 , 6 , 8 3/8 and have not shot them in years , I have shot at least one of the pair of model 28 6 inch barrel , different finish and grip size , but still great gun . Nice 5 inch one there , picture looked fine .

Boolit Master
    I had a Model 29 with a serial number that started with an “S”

My Model 29 was a 1962, the S serial number is correct for an N frame of that period.

Beautifully made guns.

Boolit Master
    The new Smiths may be made to closer tolerences but the older ones have a soul.

Hard to beat the M27s. Closest I ever came (besides holding and admiring) was a 4" M28. Sorry I let it get away.

Boolit Mold
    Nice Smith there.

I had a 5" 27, in a moment of stupidity I sold it.

Boolit Master
    Cosmic -

Howdy !

IMHO - the 5" -27 IS " The Cadillac of handguns " ( and not the .357 from brand X ).

I carried my best friend's M-27 2 for many years ( a great friend ! ) Recessed cylinder, pinned barrel, finely checkered top strap, combat trigger.

Had 2 custom "N" frames made w/ 4" heavy barrels, the intent being to duplicate the balance of the 5" -27 in a 4" barrel format. The first was assembled on a
    M-58 frame, because I wanted to go w/ fixed sights for my CCW application. NE Indiana gunsmith Dave Schwarze installed a Douglas .357" cal liner in the bored-out factory heavy barrel. He also installed a M-28 cylinder. Combat trigger and partially-bobbed hammer rounded-out the gun, which I fitted w/ custom " Jordan Trooper " stocks from Herrett's ( walnut ).

I felt a little more refinement could be had, and had Schwarze make me a custom 4" heavy barrel using a straight bull Douglas barrel w/ diameter that matched the frame width @ the attachment point. For this gun, I used a surplus NYSP M-520 frame and cylinder. Dave milled the right side of the trigger guard to half width,
    ala' the M-19 Bill Jordan Commemorative. Combat trigger, manganese phosphate finish; and a new set of Jordan Troopers.... this time in Goncalo Alves.
    This is my current carry gun, and the one that best imitates 5" M-27 balance and recoil control.

Love those 5" -27s, still !

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I had a Model 29 with a serial number that started with an “S”

My Model 29 was a 1962, the S serial number is correct for an N frame of that period.

Beautifully made guns.
    It also has that artsy ampersand symbol between the Smith and the Wesson on both the barrel and frame. The K-38 Combat Masterpiece I recently acquired has these symbols as well. It's serial # is K 3043xx. Supposedly from 1956. Right now Gunbroker has quite a few minty old Smith's for sale.

Boolit Master
    In 1974 an old deputy sheriff handed me his pistol and asked me to tell him what it was. I was an Explorer Scout in uniform. I said it was a Smith & Wesson .357. He said; no, that is a .357 Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum. The deputy’s name was on file with Smith & Wesson.

In 1974 that gun had glow in the dark sights and had a sticker on it that it was also registered with the Nuclear Commission because it had nuclear glow in the dark sights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    In 1974 an old deputy sheriff handed me his pistol and asked me to tell him what it was. I was an Explorer Scout in uniform. I said it was a Smith & Wesson .357. He said; no, that is a .357 Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum. The deputy’s name was on file with Smith & Wesson.

In 1974 that gun had glow in the dark sights and had a sticker on it that it was also registered with the Nuclear Commission because it had nuclear glow in the dark sights.
    Wow......would love to time travel back to those days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357Mag View Post
    Cosmic -

Howdy !

IMHO - the 5" -27 IS " The Cadillac of handguns " ( and not the .357 from brand X ).

I carried my best friend's M-27 2 for many years ( a great friend ! ) Recessed cylinder, pinned barrel, finely checkered top strap, combat trigger.

Had 2 custom "N" frames made w/ 4" heavy barrels, the intent being to duplicate the balance of the 5" -27 in a 4" barrel format. The first was assembled on a
    M-58 frame, because I wanted to go w/ fixed sights for my CCW application. NE Indiana gunsmith Dave Schwarze installed a Douglas .357" cal liner in the bored-out factory heavy barrel. He also installed a M-28 cylinder. Combat trigger and partially-bobbed hammer rounded-out the gun, which I fitted w/ custom " Jordan Trooper " stocks from Herrett's ( walnut ).

I felt a little more refinement could be had, and had Schwarze make me a custom 4" heavy barrel using a straight bull Douglas barrel w/ diameter that matched the frame width @ the attachment point. For this gun, I used a surplus NYSP M-520 frame and cylinder. Dave milled the right side of the trigger guard to half width,
    ala' the M-19 Bill Jordan Commemorative. Combat trigger, manganese phosphate finish; and a new set of Jordan Troopers.... this time in Goncalo Alves.
    This is my current carry gun, and the one that best imitates 5" M-27 balance and recoil control.

Love those 5" -27s, still !

With regards,
    357Mag
    Bill Jordan had huge hands. Real vice grip on the pistol. Think Elmer Keith was similarly endowed.

I sold a five inch M27 that I had illegally stored in the barracks at West Point to finance my first honeymoon. If I had only known.... Still looking for another one.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by evort View Post
    Nice Smith there.

I had a 5" 27, in a moment of stupidity I sold it.
    You have a good deal of company regarding that decision.

Banned

The grips don't look original.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    You have a good deal of company regarding that decision.
    Yes I do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    The grips don't look original.
    Good eye. I have the originals and they are nice if not plain. These are new Smith grips which didn't turn out to be as good as the originals.

Boolit Master
    Way back in the late 1970's,, after reading Skeeter Skelton's admiration for the M-27's in 5",, I lusted for one. Lo & behold,, I found one I could afford. It was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Along came a guy who really wanted it,, and offered me a fair amount above what I paid,, and in a moment of weakness,, I sold it.
    Then, I was lucky enough to get a second one,, and again, in a crunch for money,, (young & married,) and a sweet offer for it,, my second one left home. I figured I could find another,,,! Well, it was 1982,, and I found my 3rd M-27 in 5",, and swore,, it would NOT be sold. A guy I worked with,, developed a deep lust for it,, and kept bugging me to "name my price!" Figuring he didn't have the money or wouldn't meet my price,, I finally relented & threw out a VERY high price. He bought it,, and made me regret pricing it.
    It wasn't until 2017 that I FINALLY found my 4th M-27 in 5". Nope, no way,, not gonna even consider it in any form,, will it leave home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast