RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon behavior

Boolit Mold
    Hydrophobia = fear of water.
    If they jumped into the pond they didn't have rabies.

Banned

Even if they weren't rabid, they carry all kinds of nasty stuff.

I live in the sticks. Though I don't like to kill anything without a good reason, coons and coyotes get shot of they get seen. Everything else gets a pass if it's not causing a problem unless I plan to eat it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Even if they weren't rabid, they carry all kinds of nasty stuff.

I live in the sticks. Though I don't like to kill anything without a good reason, coons and coyotes get shot of they get seen. Everything else gets a pass if it's not causing a problem unless I plan to eat it.
    Pretty much the same here. We are surrounded by fields of corn and soybeans. Directly across the road is about 100 acres or so of conservation reserve, and then there are hay fields and pasture land as well as timber. Raccoons and other critters will survive just fine without helping themselves to my garden, so I make sure they don't get that chance.

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E31006F0-3A5E-4D9F-A6CB-F610694086A6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	266259
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

"Tree Pigs" as I call them. Shot on sight usually ; along with skunks and feral hogs on my property. No closed season no bag limit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Possums get a pass and in fact, I'd likely go out of my way a little to protect one from harm. We have skunks come through the yard, normally I wouldn't care, but since we have a dog again, and a young and energetic one, I might be tempted to shoot one, though I passed on one that was in the yard a while back, thankfully after the dog was inside. I may regret that one day.

It's funny, I sometimes think I may be turning into a tree hugger, but I have gotten really slow to kill anything for a couple of years now. I still enjoy getting out, I will continue to deer and squirrel hunt because I like it and I like eating them, but if I come home empty handed or miss a chance on one, it doesn't bother me like it might have a few years ago.

Coons are nasty enough, both in temperament and potential to cause problems that if seen, I will try to do it in. Coyotes even more so.

Yes we had coons raid our chicken house back when i lived in mo don't see em in my part of mt now. Possums are way worse in the disease dept along with bats and humans but as long as they don't mess with my stuff i leave em alone with the exception of wolves
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I would have done the same as you did .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Yes we had coons raid our chicken house back when i lived in mo don't see em in my part of mt now. Possums are way worse in the disease dept along with bats and humans but as long as they don't mess with my stuff i leave em alone with the exception of wolves
    Possums are immune to rabies. Pretty much every coon in America carries rabies, distemper, parvo or some combination of them. Not sure where you got that information from.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Possums are immune to rabies. Pretty much every coon in America carries rabies, distemper, parvo or some combination of them. Not sure where you got that information from.
    There is alot more out there then rabies is what i was gettin at. I think rabies is the least of my concern
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Anything that eats turkey eggs are considered a nuisance and are removed from my property when ever I get the opportunity.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

My dog is a 70 lb boxer. She's extremely territorial around the home, and when I say extremely, she once leveled my son's scoutmaster when he came over unannounced while my daughter was outside.
    3 weeks ago tonight she's going bonkers outside, I look out figuring I'll see her nemesis, the amazon truck. Nope, she's fighting a coon in the middle or the yard.

I had a mini-30 in arms reach. the coon went up the apple tree before I could get a safe angle.

I have nary a clue how or why a coon would have been in the middle of the front yard at dusk. Since it's every action was bent on escape, I called it good and let it be.

My dog did not agree with that decision. Every time she's out she checks that tree before she does anything else.

For the record, her world revolves around my daughter.

Last edited by fatnhappy; 08-15-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    One of the nastier parasites that wild-bred raccoons can be counted on to have besides rabies is roundworm. From what I read, in a raccoon, they stay in the digestive tract, but not so in humans. The larvae in the raccoon dung can enter through your skin and migrate to anywhere in your body, including your brain where it will likely form a cyst, and if inoperable, will kill the sufferer.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE For the record, her world revolves around my daughter. [/QUOTE]

That picture says it all
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

I do not know why so many people make so many false claims about possums they carry many diseases including rabies they normally do not die from rabies because of a low body temperature and like skunks can be born and die with it while giving birth to infected offspring . Their are other nasty things they carry also and possums are tied to transmission of T.B. between cattle and deer.
    The only good purpose of a possum is to test skills with everyday Carry Pistol!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I do not know why so many people make so many false claims about possums they carry many diseases including rabies they normally do not die from rabies because of a low body temperature and like skunks can be born and die with it while giving birth to infected offspring . Their are other nasty things they carry also and possums are tied to transmission of T.B. between cattle and deer.
    Raccoon kool-ade is very effective against possums also.

Boolit Master
    I used to work at a student apartment complex while going through college in Fla. Kids were always taking their refrigerator garbage to the ponds to throw out. The gators thought it was a tasty snack. When folks would walk by the ponds the gators thought they were gonna be fed and hauled out, mouth wide open. The conditioned response was set and short of electric shock or shotgun it wasn't gonna change. Students didn't like seeing us shoot them so it was catch and remove time. One apartment complex on the south side of town used to allow pets. Folks would use those screw in anchors on a chain to let "Fifi" get some fresh air and exercise. You know the rest of the story.

I use stinky "leftovers" in a sandy area to see whose around.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Possum is good for a leg trap set.

Boolit Master
    firefly1957,, you are generally correct. Possums CAN possibly carry rabies. But the instances are so low that in many places,, the numbers of cases attributed to them is inconsequential.
    Here in NC,, as a State Certified ADC Agent, by law, I am NOT allowed to relocate mammals I trap such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, etc. Yet, by NC law I am allowed to relocate opossums,,, BECAUSE they are so low on the list of rabies vectors as to not be recognized as carriers. Wanton killing of any species for incorrect beliefs is NOT a way to get animal lovers to stand with us at the polls.

Boolit Master

Contender1 animal lovers will never stand with us they are the ones spreading the lies and hiding the facts on animals like possums! Last year I saw a news story about California introducing possums! The fools have no clue how many ground laying birds and animals like turtles that will be destroyed over that stupid idea! Here in Michigan only a state licensed animal control person can remove any wild animal from a property they are caught on I do not know what the rules are after that they vary by animal and county they are caught in most are quietly destroyed .
    A friend in the big city had terrible problems with his (former ) possum loving neighbor he had one in live trap and was filling garbage can with water to "dip it" when neighbor came out and said you better not do what I think you are doing. He explained the state and city laws the guy said you can put it in my yard . so he put the live trap over the fence and opened the gate . The possum hit the ground and went right to the neighbor biting his shoe , the neighbor stomped it to death then told my friend to do what he needs to do!
    I catch and bury many possums some years I am very rural and a shot to the head is normal dispatch this year one got in a trap on back porch for chipmunks being a small live trap I dipped it in water an hour later I found about 30 ticks in the water ! Now there is a disease vector not to ignore!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast