Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon behavior

Boolit Buddy

Raccoon behavior

Yesterday the wife spotted 2 coons at 3 pm on the other side of our big pond. They jumped into the water and started swimming directly across towards our house. I grabbed a gun and started yelling. They never changed course and kept of swimming directly towards us. My initial reaction were they were rabid so I popped both of them while they were swimming.
    Thoughts?

Unlikely to be rabid if traveling together.

Boolit Master
    I've always believed if I see a raccoon during the day, something is wrong with it and it needs to put down, like you said might very well be rabid, better safe than sorry

I've seen plenty of foxes and raccoons behaving normally in the daytime. It is not unusual.

Boolit Master
    Something may have run them into the water. I normally leave them alone unless they harass my chickens or start getting destructive.

Boolit Buddy
    It was a first for me. Swimming across the pond directly towards me as I was yelling and waving my arms. Maybe I was wrong but decided to end it when they were in the water as it gave me an advantage.
    Doubt I hurt the local population any but still dont like to kill just for the sake of killing.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have seen lots of raccoons out and active during daylight hours. Normally you think of them as a nocturnal creature but not always so. To me . . . raccoons (and possums) are like unwanted relatives . . one shows up and then their whole family. I battled with them for years and they would get in the old barns on the farm and could sure make a mess of things . . . not unlike woodchucks who would suddenly show up and there would be a den . . . unbelievable how they could tear up the stone foundations. I've seen raccoons tear metal gable vents right out so they could get into the attic. I used to live-trap them and transplant them miles away but I finally gave up and dispatched them. Usually if a pair of them was around, they'd be good for at least three young ones (litter). It was the same way as skunks . . . they are known to be carriers of rabies so when we sw any on the farm, they were sent to the happy hunting ground as we didn't want them anywhere around the cattle and livestock. I have dispatched many raccoons over the years that "weren't right" in their behavior or appearance. In talking with our Vet, he stated that the raccoons are well known as carriers of feline distemper as well and his advice was to follow the three "S" method . . . shoot, shovel and shut-up.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I think you did the right thing.
    I always worry when I see raccoons out during daylight hours.
    One came straight for me years ago while pheasant hunting. I yelled at it but it wouldn't stop until a load of 12ga. #6 shot hit it.

Boolit Master
    Carwash down the street has a dumpster out back and the raccoon that lives nearby is frequently out in the afternoon and evening. I start to wonder if I don't see him for a couple of days.

1 coons can be active during daylight hours
    2they will try to take you on if they feel like it without rabies
    3 rabid coons act weird they will not travel with another one and will display cognitive deterioration kinda like joe biden (sorry couldn't resist)
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

They get in our dumpster and can't get out, so, I put a board in and they'll soon be gone. I take my dog for a walk at 10pm and recently we've had to run because of skunks...

Moderator Emeritus

I live trap them then shoot them in the trap and bury them. There is a rabies outbreak here and I am not taking chances. 2 skunks have met their maker this summer and 3 raccoons!

Boolit Master
    I have live trapped a few, but they have a tendency to wreck the cage, so anymore, I just feed them.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive noticed the coons are bolder here than I remember them. Out in the day closer to people buildings and roads, I had one that was in the garbage can 10:00 in the morning and was with in 15-20' on me and the house. Just looked at me and hissed once then went back to business. LOL. I dont trust animals that bold. Several farmers have told me coons in active barns is much more common now.

Boolit Master
    plenty of animals scrounging for something to eat during the day around here.. Probably due to the drought. We got a badger that comes up in the front yard during the day. He's just looking for something to eat. I'll leave him alone as long as he minds his manners.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Badger.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	266135
    Last edited by bayjoe; 08-11-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Well its a fact the more humans populate the woods yore gonna have more runins with wildlife and the do serve a purpose
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Better safe than sorry, I'd of done the same.

Healthy coons tend to not be out in full daylight. I used to see them come out as the sun went down if I was bowhunting near a water source.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I've seen plenty of foxes and raccoons behaving normally in the daytime. It is not unusual.
    Many animals aren't as nocturnal as many believe. They are seen less around houses during the day but seeing an animal like a raccoon or fox during the day doesn't by itself indicate anything. Now if it's acting strange or looks sick that's something to be watchful for.

Boolit Buddy
    Earlier this week, there was a raccoon acting very strange in our neighborhood. This is at 1pm. Someone tried to shoo it away and it actually came at the poor lady. Police were called. Racoon actually bit the officer (shoe, no flesh) before he put it down.

I wonder if it's something to do with the very hot weather here.

Banned

A couple years ago I had a problem with whistle pigs in my back yard, in the city. I went to the local farm store to get a live trap to relocate them. While I was there a clerk saw my trap and told me a story about an older farmer who was buying some traps earlier. So hew asked the guy what he did with the coons he trapped. The guy said he marked them and turned them loose. He asked if he marked them with paint or what, as I smiled and nodded my head. The guy said he marks them with a 22 trap pistol and turned them loose, and I nodded my head again. Incidentally that summer, in my postage stamp size back yard, I caught 4 groundhogs and one cat and one opossum. They were all taken to a spot outside of town and dropped off. (still alive)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast