Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Roller locked 7.62 loads

Boolit Bub

Roller locked 7.62 loads

Hi all,

First post in about a decade. Been lurking this whole time. I'm looking for a starting load for 7.62 Nato that can reliably cycle the G3/CETME family of rifles. I'll be loading wheel-weight bullets cast from the LEE C309-200-R mold. I may also load some wheel weight Lyman 311299s. The powders I have right now are IMR 3031, IMR 8208XBR, IMR 4064, and Shooters World Buffalo (5744 equivalent).

Thanks

Banned
    This isn't exactly analogous to your question but since no one has answered you yet I will throw this out.

My son and I were doing a similar experiment with his PTR91. We were using 150 gr FMJ's.

We tested two powders, W748 and H335. We found that 33 gr of W748 and 29 gr of H335 cycled the rifle reliably.

I wish I could be more help.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Bub
    748 and reloder 15 work pretty well with jacketed 147gr stuff. No idea on the lead. Check the bore first. There are some G3's with polygon rifling and it lead fouls pretty quick compared to real rifling.

Frank

wyowillys46
    I don't have a G3 but I do have a HK SL7 which I believe has an action very similar to the G3. It also has the polygon rifling. It has been one of the easiest rifles I've had to get shooting with cast bullets. I've used bullets in the .311 to .310 range. Of late I have been using powder coated bullets and sizing to .310. For over all length, I make sure that the round will chamber easily. The first powder I ever used in it was IMR 3031 with the Lyman 311041 out of WWs. I used the suggested starting load for a 180 grain jacketed bullet. It shot very good and cycled the action. Since then I've used other powders such as 4895 and lately AA2520. I have also been using the Lee 155 "Harris" bullet. This rifle has been one of the most accurate .308s I've ever had. I've never had any trouble with leading. Start at the beginning and work up until you're happy.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Buddy
    Doughty, I envy you the SL 7. I should have grabbed one when I lived in Germany 35 years ago. You have a jewel there for sure!

Boolit Master
    The two bullets you list (Lee 200 and 311299) are both bore riders so your accuracy will depend on how well the nose section fits your rifle, as well as the base. I've never tried that type of bullet with polygonal rifling before so you may become the test person

I load a nose rider in my Garand and the rifling just marks the nose section of the bullet yet still chambers easily and can be extracted as well. I nose size the bullets to make sure they are a close fit to the bore (NOE sizing bushings).

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot the lyman 311413 over 35-37 grains of imr4895 in my hk91. cycles the action and fairly accurate.

I just use the same general load for all of my 7.62 military rifles - G3/FAL/M-14/SCAR-17 - which is just 42-43gr of Ramshot TAC with a 147gr FMJBT projectile, whichever one I can get my hands on for the lowest price per bullet.