MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: a little help, I inherited a .500 special /.500 GNR which is a

Boolit Master

a little help, I inherited a .500 special /.500 GNR which is a

500 Linebaugh trimmed to 1.25,,, my question is about powder-- I have a lot of HS6 any Idea about where to start with it. This not for max loads, it is a 370gr at 900 to 1100, perfect cast boolit range. You can add another 150 -200 fps. No interest in that. But for some who only owns .41 mags--- that is very sporty to me. My old Grey hawk mz loader gave me 1250-1300 with a 370gr in a rifle. I have other powders...but wanted to be able to use this if I can. If not that is ok too

Boolit Grand Master
    The only 500 I've ever worked with was a 500 S&W belonging to a co-worker who had bought it for protection against bears. And we did not use HS-6. But were I in your shoes, I would start at about 12 grains, load two, shoot them and measure velocity. I would check the casings carefully to see if they were expanding enough to prevent blow-by, or if the were relatively clean. I would then adjust the load up or down until I got the velocity I wanted. I suspect that you'll end up somewhere in the 14-17 range, but that is merely a guess on my part. Hopefully someone with some actual hands-on with this caliber will chime in.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    sounds reasonable--- it can be far more gun than I want to shoot-a 440 at 1200-1300-- I will use a 370 gr thank you very much @ 1100
    Blue dot in it is in that range, unique too-- I have 3# of HS6 pounds so investigating
    Gary's loads are still a little warm for me...

Boolit Master
    Well, try some Unique and load for accuracy and comfort. Once you can hit good with it you can lay in some heavy engine block busters.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Out of curiosity, what type of gun is this?

I suspect HS6 will be about prefect for the weight bullet and velocity range you are looking for. My only issue with HS6 is when I tried to go too low. Even then it gave decent accuracy, but it fouled a lot. When it got up into it's sweet spot, accuracy was as good as I could expect and fouling was light. As you already have some, you probably already know that.

If this is for a revolver (I hope so) then sure you can load it hotter. There are few things more fun than a revolver ending up with the barrel pointing straight up after firing it and maybe twisting in your hand quite a ways. I'm joking of course.

Contact Jack Huntington at JRH Advanced Gunsmithing. He has a load sheet for this!

Boolit Master
    The five gun is Gary's prototype single action for the 500 GNR, with all his bells and whistles so to speak with his gun fighter grip. AS long as I wear a glove its ok but for me
    I have shot 325 gr jhp at 1500+OUCH
    44Ogr at 1300 ouch
    the 375s at 1100 is my goal using fluffy powders or my HS 6
    I read to try 14 gr of HS6 so I will
    I am a .41 fan so this a learning experience... BTW Trail Boss is way to little as I will hunt deer with this