RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chambering Reaming?

Boolit Mold

Chambering Reaming?

Hey!

Anyone out there specialize in reaming cylinders for cap and ball revolvers? My Pietta could use a good reaming badly. Groove to groove it is about .377” but my chambers are only about .370”.

Thanks!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    DougGuy should be able to do that.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I messaged DougGuy and he does not ream .36 revolvers.

I might just get rid of this gun if the problem can’t be resolved. The gun is just not shooting well at all. I asked him if he can ream .44 revolvers but probably not, it appears cap and balls are such a small part of his business he doesn’t stock reamers for them and I totally understand.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Toots McGrubbner View Post
    I messaged DougGuy and he does not ream .36 revolvers.

I might just get rid of this gun if the problem can’t be resolved. The gun is just not shooting well at all. I asked him if he can ream .44 revolvers but probably not, it appears cap and balls are such a small part of his business he doesn’t stock reamers for them and I totally understand.
    You might consider getting a .38 cartridge conversion for your Pietta. I have one for my .36 Remington which shoots well with factory .38 Special wadcutters and .38 Long Colt having hollow-based bullets.

Attachment 266095 Attachment 266094 Attachment 266096
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You might consider getting a .38 cartridge conversion for your Pietta. I have one for my .36 Remington which shoots well with factory .38 Special wadcutters and .38 Long Colt having hollow-based bullets.

Attachment 266095 Attachment 266094 Attachment 266096
    I enjoy shooting cap and ball a great deal. It is not for everyone but is very rewarding and enjoyable for me personally. Very nice gun, though. I like the looks of the period correct “conversion” guns made by Uberti etc.

Mr. Charlie Hahn does chamber reaming on 44's for sure. I bet he does the 36 calibers, as well as other little tweaks all the way to an extreme workover for these cap and ball revolvers.

If interested PM me if you want some contact info.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

A reamer would only cost ya 25 dollors yore looking for a adjustable reamer ill look and see if i can find ya a link
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    A reamer would only cost ya 25 dollors yore looking for a adjustable reamer ill look and see if i can find ya a link
    Oh? I’d be very interested! Thanks!

Read some learnin material before ya go ahead unless you understand the machinery trade things like chattering and understanding how the tool works is important. Kinda like a paint job where a plan and prep is more time consuming than the actual job. Then when yore done ya can brag to ya beer buddies how ya made yore hogleg more powerful and accurate.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Read some learnin material before ya go ahead unless you understand the machinery trade things like chattering and understanding how the tool works is important. Kinda like a paint job where a plan and prep is more time consuming than the actual job. Then when yore done ya can brag to ya beer buddies how ya made yore hogleg more powerful and accurate.
    I quit drinking recently but I see what you mean!

Can these reamers be used by hand? I don’t own a drill press or vice.

I slugged my barrel bore but don’t think I’m getting a super accurate groove to groove as I own a standard set of micrometers and the 7 groove rifling is making it tricky. I do know without a doubt my chambers are small. They mic out at about .369-.370. The bore slug is around .373-.374 best I can tell.

The bore slug also would not fit into the cylinder even with a lot of pressure.

Yep there hand reamers ya have to take it slow no hogging or it will chatter jus a sec i will find ya a answer to yore problem with odd groove number

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toots McGrubbner View Post
    Hey!

Anyone out there specialize in reaming cylinders for cap and ball revolvers? My Pietta could use a good reaming badly. Groove to groove it is about .377” but my chambers are only about .370”.

Thanks!
    Toots 3/8 inch (.375) reamers are everywhere ----13 bucks off Ebay right now - borrow a decent T handle tap wrench and you can do this by hand - if you need the last couple thou a piece of fine emery in a dowell rod will do it - other alternative is shoot it with some filler on top of the load that might take up the windage in the bore.

Boolit Master
    i t would depend on the hardness of the cylinder .....if it cuts easily with a file ,then you could certainly ream it without machines ,by using a reamer held in a carpenters type brace..........You would need some considerable experience in the metal trade ,before this kind of job would be done accurately .....but ,no doubt it can be done.......A drill press would be OK ,if you could get the alignments correct ,and the drill belted down to rotate at around 50 rpm s.............Im sure I could make the chambers .375 with a lathe using a drill bit,with a fine cut needing only a slight hone to clean up.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/t...stions.107297/

Powley gauge is what ya need here is some that have been down that road

Mr. John Taylor did the work creating my two favorite percussion revolvers, a .40 caliber 1851 (round ball gun) and a .41 caliber 1858 (for .41 revolver molds), so he could maybe fix the chambers' diameter for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Mr. John Taylor did the work creating my two favorite percussion revolvers, a .40 caliber 1851 (round ball gun) and a .41 caliber 1858 (for .41 revolver molds), so he could maybe fix the chambers' diameter for you.
    Wondering how much to change out to 40 or 41 cal? From John tylor

Charlie hahn is great at it. And very inexpensive. Reaming your own cylinders seems easy in theory but its not. I have a drill press and i tried it myself with a nice .375 reamer etc and it wasnt straight. Went slow and was carefull...its not as easy as it sounds and precision is very necessary. Hand drill wont cut it. Trust me when i say to have it done professionally or by a competent machinist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast