MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless impact tools

Boolit Master

Cordless impact tools

My grown children have asked me what I want for my birthday. I need a cordless impact driver. I am trying to decide between DeWalt, Makita, or another brand like Rigid (Home Depot only). I have a mix of different brands for other cordless tools. I would like to keep it in the near $200 or under range. I will get my own lug sockets for it. It would be for occasional use in and around the house/garage. It needs to be powerful enough to do heavy jobs (like truck and SUV tires), but only occasionally. I would like recommendations on which to select. What have you had good/bad luck with? What would you buy again or never again?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Craftsman because I had the drills that use the same batteries. I believe most of the impact drivers are close in quality and would base the decision on the other battery operated tools I have. Just my 2 cents.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Cordless impact tools

A heavy job is not lug nuts. My brushless 18V Bosch has no issue w/ any and all lug nuts. But it doesn’t have the brute force that a DeWalt or Milwaukee have. I will never recommend anything Makita. I went w/ Bosch because it’s what all my other tools are and I care about weight because I fly w/ it. If I was going to buy one just for my house it would be SnapOn.

There’s quite a bit of difference between one sold at box big box stores and ones meant for vehicle mechanics. A good friend has a SnapOn and it’s smaller, lighter and more powerful than any sold at the big box stores.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 08-10-2020 at 05:58 PM.

I have the Milwaukee 18v stuff so I've got their 1/2" drill, 1/4" and 1/2" (medium torque) drivers. Takes lug nuts off truck rims with ease. It was $230 at HD a while back which is over your budget, but I had the drill and 1/4" impact for a couple years first and have been very happy with them. Check online as you're often able to find them cheaper. I'd lean towards whatever brand you'll end up with the most common batteries with.

We have 2 Dewalt 1/2" impact wrenches and they have plenty of power

Comparing our Dewalt and Rigid screwguns, the Dewalts have way more torque.

Boolit Master

I use a lot of DeWalt every day as a dealership tech. DeWalt is sold by MAC tools and uses the same battery as the MAC stuff. I have to agree with going with your most common batteries. They tend to cost as much as the tools sometimes.

An edit to my post all of my DeWalt stuff is 20V Lithium Ion.
    Last edited by Finster101; 08-10-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use mostly Makita cordless tools in my business . Impacts last forever drill no so much. Makita and Dewalt are my favorites had trouble with Ridgit .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If it for only OCCASIONAL use, be sure the batteries are LiIon and not the other obsolete kinds. Lithium batteries are light, hold a charge almost forever, and recharge in 1 hour normally.

I have rid myself of all Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, and other cordless tools and only use Bosch now in my company.

Check this:

https://www.tylertool.com/bosch-iwbh...SABEgI5h_D_BwE

Excellent tool But does not include the 18v battery or charger. There are probably deals elsewhere that have all three items in a bundle.

I would never recommend anything but Bosch for day-to-day and occasional use! We can just grab a tool ANYTIME and the battery is good to go. Unlike other tools that are always dead when you need them! Only charge them when they go dead.....and lithium batteries quite stone cold dead. Lithium has no memory so they recharge for years.

Do your research on these battery systems!!!!!!! And avoid DeWalt like the China Virus.......bad tools these days.....especially the battery packs.

I disagree Bangerjim. We have a trailer load of Dewalt tools and dont have a problem with them

Boolit Buddy
    I also use Dewalt tools and keep the same battery platform. I have remodeled three family homes with these tools so far. The tools have preformed up to my expectations without any failures. It's the same old Ford,Chevy,Dodge favorite argument. BUT!!!!! for lug nuts I would get the heavy Milwaukee...
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 08-10-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Cordless impact tools

I’m a Rigid fan. I’ve converted all my cordless tools and their warranty can’t be beat. I have two of their impact drivers and they’re phenomenal. Batteries are covered under warranty too and they are super easy to work with on getting them replaced. Under $200 you can get a drill plus driver combo set with two batteries.

18-Volt Brushless SubCompact Drill Driver and Impact Driver Combo Kit with (2) 2.0 Ah Batteries, Charger and Bag

https://www.homedepot.com/p/312396773

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    My grown children have asked me what I want for my birthday. I need a cordless impact driver. I am trying to decide between DeWalt, Makita, or another brand like Rigid (Home Depot only). I have a mix of different brands for other cordless tools. I would like to keep it in the near $200 or under range. I will get my own lug sockets for it. It would be for occasional use in and around the house/garage. It needs to be powerful enough to do heavy jobs (like truck and SUV tires), but only occasionally. I would like recommendations on which to select. What have you had good/bad luck with? What would you buy again or never again?
    If you really want one for lug nuts keep an eye on the torque rating, you'll want a bigger bodied one. That will more closely match the power of an air impact.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Bub
    I went with Milwaukee, For a short time I used Porter Cable through Lowes. But I needed a small screwdriver type and it worked to tide me over. Then work offered me a tool allowance, So I spent it on Milwaukee. Find the Jersey Discount Tools App and put it on your phone. He had about the best price and if you have any problems he'll help you get them taken care of.

I have also bought from Ohio Power Tool. They run some decent sales as well. Like free batteries or tools with certain tool groups. So in the end you get more of a value.

I have been happy with Milwaukee so far and won't hesitate to buy them again.

Boolit Master
    I have the Milwaukee 1400 ftlb one, totally awesome but may be more than you need. It is heavy but beats almost all Air Wrenches for power and No Compressor. Bare tool was $225 at HD, kits are over $400 but I found a 5AH battery for $50 and had a charger.

I also use a 1/4" Makita Impact driver. I tore down the last Subaru engine with it as well as driving construction screws.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-10-2020 at 07:30 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    If you really want one for lug nuts keep an eye on the torque rating, you'll want a bigger bodied one. That will more closely match the power of an air impact.
    Definitely agree with this. You will also notice improved performance using 4ah batteries on the larger tools as well.

Banned
    Makita pioneered cordless are pioneers in the industry. many of the others will work but for industrial/commercial day-in/day-out I've always gone with Makita.

I'd ask them to buy me an 18 volt set --18V LXT Lithium-Ion Compact Cordless 2-Pc. Combo Kit for everything but lugnuts

and an 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2" Sq. Drive Impact Wrench, Tool Only for lugnuts - this tool is faster than my pneumatic and electric impact drivers

You could say it's kind of like Chevy/Ford/Dodge debate--- they all work, what feels/looks best for you [of course chevy is the best )

Makita hands down for me. Been using them for 35 years.

Boolit Master

Are ANY of the above USA made ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Are ANY of the above USA made ?
    Dewalt is, kinda. I get to use Dewalt and Milwaukee tools on a daily basis, and unfortunately, Milwaukee tools are superior in nearly every instance. The Dewalt tools seem as strong as far as performance goes, but do not hold up to abuse as long. The big let down is the Dewalt batteries are always dead. I don't know what it is, but you can leave a fully charged tool sit on the bench, and it will be dead in the morning. Not every tool does this, but many of them.

Milwaukee on the other hand is 100% Chineese. I say it with guilt that Milwaukee is the superior brand. They are not infallible, they get broken all the time in our shop, but they will hold up to outrageous abuse. I've only smoked one drill myself, and I was drilling a 1" hole. The 1/2" impact is top of the line, no question about it. I bought my own 5 years ago, so things may have changed, but at the time they offered a few models, so keep an eye on the specs. At that time, the ring lock model was the strongest (for some reason the detent version was weaker), something like 1200 ft lb in reverse, and I believe it. This tool is stronger than any 1/2" impact I have ever used before, and that includes Snap on pneumatic. Lug nuts on anything are no problem.

Makita is also Chineese. Their niche seems to be more for construction, carpentry, something like that. Their tools are definitely lighter duty, but they are lighter as well. The guy screwing up sheet rock every day will be better suited to the lighter Makita rather than the heavy Milwaukee.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That was our big gripe about DeWalt..................the horrible performance of the battery packs! Total garbage.

Every time one the of my guys went to use one, the darned battery was stone cold dead!!!!!! Every......single......time! And these were not old batteries. Just poor design lousy quality NiMH batteries! There IS a definite difference in rechargeable battery technology, and it goes a lot deeper than just NICad or NiMH or LiIon technology.

I picked up a Bosch 18V drill the other day after not being charged since January 2020 and it took right off with full power and drilled 10ea) 3/4 holes in some 4x4 pine timbers. Still going, but I put it on the charger anyway.

FORD Fix Or Repair Daily or in this case Dewalt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast