RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rifle equivalent

Previously Banned Member

rifle equivalent

what would be the rimless version of a bolt action 30-30?

Ive always loved the 30-30 but hate the lever action crap. Cleaning and using. loading as well and bullet deformation.

Have a .308 winchester, i like it alot, same barrel length 18 inches. But for me its no issue to use but no one else wants to touch it. SO ive been wondering, on this topic.

jacketed 30-30 bullets and loading it down to match muzzle velocities,, or trying to figure out a way to modify the savage or ruger american ectractor to hook on the 30-30 rim

Grab a loading manual, compare the two, and load the .308 down a bit to approx. equal .30-30 bullets & speeds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The 350 Legend? Looks like the 30-30 on paper to me, maybe even a little more. 170gr with CFE 223, 35gr, 2258 fps in the 30-30. 170gr with L'il Gun, 27.9gr, 2307 fps in the 350 Legend.
    Last edited by Dapaki; 08-09-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Maybe the 30 Remington? Not the AR version. The original, released as "30-30 Remington".
    Also, 7.62x39mm is pretty darn comparable also!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pocketace View Post

Ive always loved the 30-30 but hate the lever action crap.
    A rimless equivalent of the .30-30 would be the 7.63x39 mm - available new in CZ-527 rifles (and likely others).

You could also use a Remington 788 or Savage/Stevens 325/340, which were both made in .30-30.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Looking at Hogdon, H335 is used in both the 30-30 and 7.62x39 but the 39 only gives 2132fps with a 150gr while the 30-30 gives 2308fps with a 150gr bullet.

Boolit Master
    Yes to 7.62 x 39. I have a CZ in 7.62 x 39 and its very easy to set up loads similar to the 30-30, especially in cast.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    300 hamr in a factory AR variant. If your into a semi wildcat then the very similar 7.62x40 WT or straight wildcatting' look to a .30 saber cat. that pushes close to .308 speeds out of an AR-15 style rifle.

In a bolt action the sky is the limit, but why limit yourself to trying to replicate a .30-30 in a bolt gun when you can find something that is better in just about any dimension?

Although my vote is keep the 308 and download to the level you want. One of the most fun loads to shoot out of the 308 is downloaded cast boolits. Kicks like a kitten.

Previously Banned Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    300 hamr in a factory AR variant. If your into a semi wildcat then the very similar 7.62x40 WT or straight wildcatting' look to a .30 saber cat. that pushes close to .308 speeds out of an AR-15 style rifle.

In a bolt action the sky is the limit, but why limit yourself to trying to replicate a .30-30 in a bolt gun when you can find something that is better in just about any dimension?

Although my vote is keep the 308 and download to the level you want. One of the most fun loads to shoot out of the 308 is downloaded cast boolits. Kicks like a kitten.
    define better then the 30-30 that hasnt had an animal go further then 20 yards with a lung shot?

but hate the lever action crap.
    Huh are you talking about the lever guns made by marlin the last few years OR just leverguns in general. If its just the newer marlins find you a older lever gun like a jm or winchester and henry makes good guns also. I have never met someone who hated levers in general.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Previously Banned Member
    about the lever crap.....

first off i really hate cleaning them. for some reason its harder to pull the bolt in my marlin for cleaning, and get it back in, then it is to reset the firing pin on my ruger american with oiled hands.

I have hand and wrist injuries. Limited mobility in my support arm requires me to rest the butt on my leg while i work the lever. dont have the issue with a bolt.

I have tried the idea on the 30 remington, but i havent found anyone willing to actually do the work. guess it would be to much WORK for them to do the extractor/ejector setup.

Previously Banned Member
    and my first thought was cast bullets in my .308, although FUN,,,, the amount of lead fouling, and the chamber not liking cast bullets over 150 grains for some reason..... its a toss

Banned
    As for ballistics, the 7.62x39 is going to be close to the .30-30.
    As the old Soviet round, it is very common, although a lot of it is Berdan primed steel cases. There's plenty of Boxer primed brass out there.

The .308 Winchester will give you a lot more performance.

Downloading the .308 to 30-30 level is the easiest and smartest way to get a bolt action 30-30 equivalent rifle. No muss, no fuss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Sounds to me you want a bolt action 30-30, based on your comments. The Savage 340 or any of its offspring is probably the most economical way to go.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I load 30-06 to match 30-30 speed simply because I like the soft recoil. It's easy with H4895 and Hodgdon reduced load instructions.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...w-recoil-loads

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/relo...ding-beginners

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/freq...-questions-faq

Boolit Master

Ive always loved the 30-30 but hate the lever action crap. Cleaning and using. loading as well and bullet deformation.

Have a .308 winchester, i like it alot, same barrel length 18 inches. But for me its no issue to use but no one else wants to touch it. SO ive been wondering, on this topic.

jacketed 30-30 bullets and loading it down to match muzzle velocities,, or trying to figure out a way to modify the savage or ruger american ectractor to hook on the 30-30 rim
    Personally, I got a 30-06 Springfield 1903, and I'll load for what I want to do with it. You can make it play .30 carbine, or load 220grain bullets or boolits for shooting elk, and anywhere else you want. Factory Federal Power-Shock's are 150grains at 2910fps I've got molds to cast down to 77grains and up to 215 grains so far. Naturally, YMMV!

If you like the .308 you have but want it to behave like a 30/30 load those same flatnose bullets into the .308 at the proper reduced velocities. I did that with a .308 Remington 660 for my kids when they were younger and it can work well.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you already have the .308 then just download it as described above. Yes, you can use the same flat nose bullets you can use in the 30-30 and get exactly the same performance.

I don't know about double lung, but my dad once shot a deer with his 30-30 and it jumped a five foot fence and went almost 100 yds before it fell. When we cut it open it had less than half a heart - he had heart shot it and it still went that far.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I agree with reduced .308 loads. That is all I shoot with cast in the .308. 1.5MOA is easy. 1MOA can be done with a little development. You can even go down to subsonic and not lose much accuracy. I had some Blue Dot loads at 7.5gn that would shoot 2MOA at 200yd. Bullet weight can be just about whatever you want. I shoot 210gn out to 300yd.

If hunting then pick a bullet with a wide flat nose, load it to 1900-2000fps.

For jacketed, use bullets made for the .30-30 and you will get the expansion you want. Hunting bullets for the .308 and larger might not expand at lower velocities.

PS if you want to buy a new equivalent, then the posters above got it, 7.62x39. Bolt or semi-auto.
    Last edited by charlie b; 08-10-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast