WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Are jm marlin prices going crazy or just a fluke

Boolit Master

Are jm marlin prices going crazy or just a fluke

have been watching auctions for marlin JM parts going absolutely crazy today. is this just a fluke or are the prices rising everywhere

Boolit Master
    seems to me prices on everything going up since the covid virus, loaf of bread, everything.
    with that being said, the scare of the dems taking the election, perhaps driving up gun prices,
    and, Remington bought out Marlin some years ago, and that was the end of the original JM marque.
    and, remington just filed for bankrupcy, possible to the end of all Marlin JM or otherwise.

Some people may be stocking up on parts, but in my experience the aftermarket parts guys will step right in if Remington quits making Marlins altogether. If I can buy spare parts for an 1894 Stevens single shot, of which only about 2000 were made, then I'll surely be able to find parts for Marlins, which must number in the millions by now.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Could have something to do with Remington going through a bankruptcy.

Remington bought out H & R and Marlin then refused to honor any warranties .

I heard that some corporation or ? bought remington just to liquidate and get richer quick -- then I hear a lot of stuff

If some vulture capitalist bought Remington to liquidate it, they would be following a grand tradition. I lived through the liquidation of the American machine tool industry in the '70s and '80s. Why did it happen? The old companies were hideously mismanaged, just as Remington has been. Sad as I am to have seen the fine old names like Cincinnati, DeVlieg, Lucas, Warner & Swazey, Lodge & Shipley, and many others die, it was their time. We can console ourselves that the USA still has many well-managed firearms manufacturers to take up the slack. Today almost all our machine tools come from Germany, Japan, or China, with a smattering from Italy and India.
    Cognitive Dissident

Maybe Marlin could revive themselves by moving back to the old factory in Conn. Or maybe I am dreaming but there is a demand for quality Marlins. Lucky that all my Marlins ( 1894 44 mag., 60-22LR, 1895 45-70, 336 waffle top 35 Rem., 1894C .357 and 39A 22) are JM Marlins and are quality guns.

Moving back to North Haven is a non starter. Taxes, regulations, and to top it off you'll never get competent management, engineers, or machinists to live there.

New Hampshire would be a good bet, though, if being in New England were a priority.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I started collecting 39a’s 30 yrs ago for their quality. I never thought they’d be so valuable.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, but the new Marlins put out by Remington are not the same gun Marlin put out. They are using MIM parts, that’s a fact, as well as hi tech processes. All engineered to keep human hours to minimum. I don’t know if the market for lever actions is big enough for a company to crank up for it. Henry has already stepped in and has the market for those who really don’t care about milled parts guns. There are also the imported clones of the old Winchester’s. I don’t buy replicas but friends have some that were not cheap and they are happy with them. Same thing happened to Savage in 80s. They reorganized around the 110 BA rifle and the 99 was let to die. There are thousands of good old US made lever guns in circulation. The popular ones will be worth someone turning out parts for.

I wonder if guns have become a substitute for hard assets like gold and silver. I read about counterfeit bullion and think to myself, what other real assets I could buy in its place - guns! Guns are more fun than gold. If enough people get in on it, prices can inflate quickly.

How much do a couple exaggerated auction prices distort prices to? If a buddy and I collaborate to create a listing on an auction site with a crazy price, and people post the results, that becomes the new "market".
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Marlins in good shape, and JM stamped, have been bringing, a premium for 3 years now. JM stamped and pre 1984, when they put the crossbolt saftey in, is worth $100-150 more around these parts. For what it is worth, I have put scopes on, zeroed around 20 odd Marlins, all remlins in the past 2 years, and I have found no lemons whatsoever. The wood to metal fit was nice, the metal finish was consistent, and they all worked well, and more improtant, they all shot dang good. Several have been 45/70's, along with 30/30's and .35 Rems, and a couple of 44 mags. I am aware of some of the crap they put out when they first bought Marlin and moved them, but since they have retooled and are making quality rifles.

Boolit Master

You got it Four-Sixty.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I wonder if guns have become a substitute for hard assets like gold and silver. I read about counterfeit bullion and think to myself, what other real assets I could buy in its place - guns! Guns are more fun than gold. If enough people get in on it, prices can inflate quickly.
    In 1999/2000 I lived in Minnisoter, and went to any gun show within four hours' drive on weekends. One thing I learned was that well-off plains farmers preferred to put any extra cash into guns, not gold. Made for an interesting market. Buying bullion got you into a Government database, even then. Private sale guns don't, and in that time, 20 years ago, the gun shows weren't as much flooded with FFL dealers as they later became. At the end of my TDY up there I came home with quite a few treasures.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I sold a 1894 357 a few months back. Sold it thru my dealer. When I handed it to him and we did papers he asked how fast did I need to sell.. We talked $$ and I didnt let on, But you coulda knocked me over with a feather!! He said he had a customer looking and he could call him.
    I rounded the number down (as it was far above what I expected) He called and that rifle sold before I walked out of the store.

It was 97% steel and wood, But one of the but ugly walnut colors And figures I had ever seen. (I had two of these)

Yes they sell for crazy dollars...

CW

I have often wondered what a Marauder would bring today.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw