Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a source for rubber buckshot and slug componets

Boolit Master

Need a source for rubber buckshot and slug componets

tried Bing, Google and non found any help is needed. We need them for wild life control and just the balls not loaded out of sight priced commercial rounds. TIA

Boolit Master

On the big bay

6.5 LBS Santoprene Pellets Thermoplastic Rubber Injection Molding Dark Grey TPV
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I use wax for my not so lethal but still hurts rnds
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Rock salt?

Boolit Master
    what about soft air bbs??

Boolit Master
    Air soft bbs is what I load for in house use. Next in line is skeet load. The bbs aren't worth much beyond 8 or 10 feet.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

go on Ebay and search Paint Balls.

There are lots of solid plastic projectiles in .68 cal which would load right in a regular shot shell wad just like my .662 round balls. do.
    They have regular Nylon Round Balls which are about 55 gr and about $.35 ea.. There are also ones with a steel ball inside and they are around 100-125 gr or @1/4 oz. They are more like $1.00 ea and are designed to break glass.

There are also some ones that look like Foster Style Slugs and they are in the 1/4 oz range and what a bargain at $3.75 each. They say you can use all of these over indefinitely, however I don't see anyone finding them to reuse for our probable uses.. They are designed to be used on a Closed Range where you can just sweep them up and re use them in your Paint Ball gun. that could be cost effective.

These are used in Paint Ball Guns for "Training Purposes" but I doubt any of the Rioters are firing paint balls when these are available.

Out of a shotgun with only a pinch of powder these would hurt pretty bad. I can easily see 6-800 fps with a primer and 1-2 gr of Bullseye. If they hit bare skin they'd definitely leave a mark ! I'd be looking for Butt Shots mostly.

My BPI solid shot cup/wad/gas seal weighs 166 gr filled with Silicon Caulk, I think filled with Wax they would weigh more. Seems like something in the 300 gr range would be the ticket. Mine are not weight forward enough to fly strait and that's why I stopped at 5 made. I knew they wouldn't work.

Right now we are back to Rock Salt as something non lethal that would still make an impression.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-10-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Thanks guys but not fit application. I did finally find some 18mm solid bouncy balls a Amazon and have a 100 on the way to try and make a load.

If they work with enough speed with small amounts of powder it would be great as then they could be fired in the flare guns boaters us but I tend to doubt it.

Boolit Master

.72 inches in diameter, WOW that will HURT
    Only one ball per round in a 12 gauge shotgun?
    12 gauge bore size is nominal .729
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Did ya get some glow-in-the-dark balls so you can retrieve and reload?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

At less than ten cents each delivered these are the pretty swirly colored ones. Going to load using a gas seal and wads to fill to make a good crimp.

Source for these balls? How much do they weigh? If these are in the 200 gr range they could be useful.

18MM should be .708 in dia and would work in a regular shot cup with about 1/4" of spacers below it. You wouldn't have to worry about it being too big while in the shot cup because the ball will squish then it goes thru the barrel or any constriction.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-16-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

I got them off amazon. That would be nice just use a standard wad and space up like I do with lead ones. Never gave the squishy ting a thought Thanks. I'll update when the arrive

Boolit Master

The balls have arrived today. Measure anywhere from .695 -.700 not quite perfect in roundness. Weigh average is 67.4 grains.

I can push a clay-buster wad with one in it through an 870 cylinder bore barrel that measures .725 with my ML SS range rod. I did not measure how many pounds it took but it was not hard to at all.

I am going to try loading one or two with a small charge of Red Dot across the chrono and see what happens.

My TPS wads filled with Silicone seal weigh 166 gr but they are not weight forward enough to fly strait. Maybe a little more experimentation on assembly could yield a decent shooting non lethal projectile. I'm thinking filling 2/3's with silicone let dry, then a pinch of #8 shot then fill to the top with more silicone to finish.

If this would fly strait it, could be a very viable Non Lethal SD round as it would be around 200-250 gr.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy,
    What is the rationale for a non-lethal SD round?

Thanks
    Don Verna

Well get hit with a superball at 1000 fps i imagine youd have some rational words and thoughts
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Randy,
    What is the rationale for a non-lethal SD round?

Thanks
    It is for use when you want to make an impression on something, but not necessarily kill it. It's like rubber bullets used in Riot Control which I wish we'd see more use of lately.

I have a Lady LAPD Cop friend who lives down the street from me. She was stationed in Chatsworth, but her and her girlfriend were called to Down Town LA during the worst of it. All the Squad cars were gone, so they drove down in her girlfriends personal car. They were on the line when she noticed that her car was burning. She ran over and managed to get her 870 and 4 boxes of Bean Bags out of the car before it burnt to the ground. She substantially fired 94 rounds of Bean Bags at the *****s that were assaulting them over the next few hours. She made every shot count and nobody was killed, but there were some real sore Arses the next day. IE: she was making an impression !!!

I would kiss her if I could find her! I personally would like to see more of this as the people on the receiving end are mostly anarchists who are being paid by Geo Soros, Antifa and BLM. IE: Commies who are actively trying to bring this country down. I don't like them !!!

Randy

Boolit Master

I loaded and test fired some today.

Hull Winchester wally-world cheapy cut down to 2 /12 to rid crimp
    wad Clay Busters = to Win 12L 7/8 ounce
    primer Win 209
    Powder Red Dot = to lite skeet load Sorry won't give amount.
    Rolled crimp

Dummies functioned fine in a Mossberg 500 and an 870 feed from the magazine tubes and ejected fine.

5 shots averaged 949 FPS, 1 shot blew up a water filled gallon milk jug splitting wide open with a exit hole on the back. Not as loud as a target load and zero recoil.

Non Lethal NOT they are under the 1000 fps needed for wildlife control. No problems with ejection in both guns. The Mossberg had a full choke tube in place with the 870 a cylinder bore.

I do not recommended this to anyone work up your own loads to your reason.

I thank you WRB for your help.

Attachment 267102Attachment 267103

Boolit Mold
    Thank you geezer for following up with that, I was curious. Good to know I can load those balls in something other than a paintball marker.
    I have been interested in paintball in the past, bought a couple markers years ago but they sat and the o-rings rotted. Now with the current situation I began to look into it again for less lethal use. Bought a used 68 cal full auto marker off of ebay (mistake) and a few different types of hard 68cal balls from both ebay and amazon. Am having to rebuild the marker, a Tippmann A5, just got all the parts I needed yesterday.
    I think but am not sure---- regular paintball guns and ammo are set more or less to about 250fps and will raise a bump or bruise. For sure with easy tweaks to stock markers the paintball velocity goes up over 300fps.
    The idea was to full auto the hard .68cal balls for some "less lethal" persuasion. Even at 250fps it may be effective but am hoping to get the gas system on this marker set up for over 300fps and deliver a hopper full.
    Would it be possible to load these hard paintballs in a 12 ga round to get 300fps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast