WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Posting This Here Instead Of The Skeeter Load in a M696

Boolit Master

Posting This Here Instead Of The Skeeter Load in a M696

Since I said I would NOT post anymore in the thread Skeeter Load in a M696 so as not to upset anyone I measured as near as I could and the rear of a barrel on a M69 is roughly .062 to .063 inches barrel wall thickness at the beginning of the forcing cone. A M629 is roughly .094 inches thick at the beginning of the forcing cone.
    Keep in mind that is what I obtained and is most certainly challengeable by anyone with more skills than I as my skills are pretty inept.

You got to calculate steel strength into the mix and hope for a good heat treat i will continue to run 44 special loads in my 44 specials and for hotter loads i got a couple 44 mags for that purpose. Elmer blew up several guns through the years my guns are to expensive to risk. I deleted my post on that thread because it started bringing me grief and i dont care what others do with their guns but not happening in mine
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I don’t think that was aimed at you, threads on Skeeter loads tend to go sideways. I just measured my 696 at the end of the barrel extension. It is .040 and I believe I have seen sever others listed and all were .039 to .040, probably 5 or so different guns. Frame to cyl gap is .130 with virtually no end play, less than .002.

My 5 inch GP100 44 measures the same .040 thickness but frame to cyl face is .082 with same end play of .002 ish. It has less than 1000 rounds thru it at the 7.2 gr level with a 240 rf cast soft.

Both less than half the thickness of a N frame. 2/3 of the M69 which is magnum rated. I have NO fantasy that that means it’s good for 2/3 of the magnum pressure, not a linear relationship and the frame cyl face distance has an effect as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Why do they go sideways? Anymore I am paranoid to post on here. I like the Skelton 44 Special load. I use it in a M69 with Magnum cases with the "Keith" bullet seated to 44 Special OAL. Recoil isn't bad and accuracy is good. One must so what one wants to do. Dropping the load down is not going to hurt a thing. May improve it.

Boolit Grand Master

"Why do they go sideways?"

If one sticks to the original load then Skeeter's load doesn't "go sideways".......

It's when some want to use other than 7.5 gr of Unique under a "Keith" bullet in 44 SPL cases with a standard LP primer which IS the Skeeter load....period. It's when some use a different bullet and or a different powder that things "go sideways". I've no problem with the use of such, just that calling it a "Skeeter 44 SPL load" just doesn't seem quite kosher......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I have 44 Special cases just don't use them.

Boolit Master
    Can’t answer that, just seems they do. I like other perspective and have no need to push my opinion on anyone else, just want to exchange ideas. Seems some are wired different, no biggie, I just go on to something else.

I like it as well, thing is I don’t like N frames so mine are mid frame 5 shooters. Planning a backpack trip into bear country I wanted all I could get out of a small gun. As far as I could tell the Skeeter load was adequate, and had a reasonable rep in bulldogs and old triple locks. I worked up to there and it was very accurate, like 2.5 inches at 25 yards. Loaded a bunch and used that happily till I saw what they were bring on auction! Dropped to 7 gr but the groups almost doubled, 7.2 gave the same accuracy as 7.5 and nothing can find in Tennessee will be able to tell the difference. Truly I use the 5 inch more now for hunting, and reserved the 696 for 220 gr cast on 7.2 unique. That’s what the Dillon is set for so I just readjust the seater for a batch. Good accuracy and standard pressure, oh and easy . Still, if I went back out west I would go back for a few 7.5 gr loads. Really don’t need to, I have a titanium tracker in 41 mag, it would get the job!
    Seeing Larry Gibsons data on the Skeeter load, it ran a bit higher than I had thought, and a deeper seated bullet can make it way higher. Going to try power pistol, but not real hi on the amends, I like unique and but it in 8lb lots for shotgun.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos