Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Suggestions on some informative shotgun shell reloading books/manuals?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Suggestions on some informative shotgun shell reloading books/manuals?

I am not a "shotgunner" but I sure enjoy reading the posts on this forum. I own all for editions of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks but like most, while I use all four editions at times, my "favorite" is the 3rd edition.

I basically would like to have a good basic manual to read that will give a good "education" on the process of shotshell and slug reloading - sort of give a good idea of they various types and styles and their uses of different wads, shot cups, etc. I know there are 5 editions of "The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manuals" - is the 5th edition the best as far as what is available for styles of wads, cups, etc. or is there a certain edition that is better than the others?

I have shot muzzleloading shotguns at times since I was a kid but I am getting more and more interested in finding a decent used single shot and playing with loading up BP shot shells - making the pieces I can for loading by hand, etc. Gauge will depend on what I come up with for a single barrel. While my thoughts were originally to use 1 X plastic hulls trimmed to length (I realize I wouldn't get repeated firings out of the hulls) - I would imagine I rule just jump into it and get brass hulls and the wads/cards to fit the hulls.
    Are there any publications out there that deal with the history of reloading the brass hulls, hints and tricks to use and those sorts of things? With the use of shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting, I didn't know if there were any publications that deal with just the use of the brass hulls, BP, loading tips, etc.

Thanks for any guidance for "good reading material" - greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master

Lyman 5th has the most current data, components, etc. But it is 10 years old now, and many of us would like a new edition (hint).
    Has great instructions for plastic hulls. If you need historical data because you found old powder or wads or hulls, then an earlier edition might have a LITTLE value to you.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

Boolit Grand Master
    With thousands of econo hulls free at almost any trap and skeet club, that is what I would use if I was forced to use black powder. Use once and pitch them.
    Don Verna

Jim: BPI's Reloading Brass Shotshells !st Edition is what I use for The brass hulls and Lyman Black powder Handbook & Loading Manual 2nd Edition is what I use for paper or plastic hulls. Gp

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks for your suggestions - greatly appreciated. I went to BPI's site - funny how if you don't do a particular type of reloading you learn a bout suppliers/dealers you've never run across before. It looks like BPI's Reloading Brass Shotshells 1st Edition is an excellent fit for what I'm looking for and the Lyman 5th edition looks like a good "textbook" to read and learn more about what most of you take for granted as general knowledge. LOL

dverna - I'm not ruling out the use of 1 X fired plastic hulls for the BP use - I have managed to accumulate some 20 gauge hulls but have held off as it will depend on what I find for a used single barrel - either 20 or a 12. It's not that I "have" to us BP but that I have shot it for a long time and enjoy using it - I always have Red Dot and generally some Green Dot in the cupboard as I use both in a number of cartridges.

Thank you again - greatly appreciate the suggestions!

Boolit Grand Master

Okay, scratch that! I just responded listing out sources for smokeless shotshell reloading. Didn't read you post properly!

For BP reloading this should help:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

There is some discussion of brass hulls there too. Due to thinner walls than plastic hulls you may need to go to 11 ga. filler and nitro card wads. BPI should have both.

In my past experience loading plastic hulls with BP, they do not last long! BP tends to cook them pretty well. Paper hulls are likely a better choice.

I'll also say that I tried using plastic wads over BP and got the worst mess of plastic + BP fouling I have ever seen! I'd recommend staying with card and fiber wads with BP... and a BP lube soaked wad under the slug/ball/shot charge.

Longbow