Thread: Cast & the 10mm

Boolit Buddy

Cast & the 10mm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	265948
    I bought a Springfield XDm in 10mm today and was wondering what everybody thought about it and cast boolits for hunting! I've always wanted one now I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble? It's a tack driver with jacketed wondering if anyone has any experience with this gun and round?
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    I like the gun, dont have much experience with the round.

Boolit Master
    Every hand gun can shoot cast just fine. Just match the hardness to the velocity. I always shot cast in my 610 revolver.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a Dan Wesson Razorback all I ever shot was cast
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The original 10mm (38/40 WCF) has taken a lot of deer!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Favorite range pistol, xd min 40sw. Shot a pig with it, Texas heart shot. Cast 160gr ~950 fps. Works fine. H.T. COWW powder coated. You could push 180 gr 1100 or so. That nutty guy on tv used glock 10 on his hunts.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Yes Razor Dobbs killed a cape buff with one! He is nuts!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Bub
    I have a Glock 20 and have shot quite a lot of cast bullets through it. Current favorite is the MontanaBulletWorks 200gr NOE WFN-GC over blue dot. I tested quite a few powders and had the best accuracy with Bluedot.

Boolit Master

LOVE IT!!

I used a 200 WFN for a few years and it worked very well. Two year ago I switched to a 220 HP. Pushed with a worked up charge of Blue dot to 1200+ fps from a 6" G40 and KKM Barrel. That 220g weighs closer to 230 as I cast it and alloyed in a 1:16 ish it expands to its HP bottom @1200 fps a d retains 98-100% of that weight. The load shoots sub 6" @ 50 yards off hand me shooting. One deer so far and that was thru and thru with 25+ cent piece exit and very lil blood shot meat. Deer dead in sexonds traveling 40-60 FEET.

I was never enamored with that heavy a bullet cause I thought velocities would be too
    Low. Carefuly working up has allowed me 1200 fps ON TARGET inside 60 ish yards. Thats all I need from this caliber.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have the XDm in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp and yes they are all tack drivers. I shoot 80% lead cast. I will check my load data and get you what molds and loads I use for each, I would think my .40 will be close for your 10mm
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Boolit Master
    I have 2 xdm 40s a 3.8 and a 5.25 they both shoot great with cast.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got the XD-M 5.25” and it’s a fantastic pistol. A 180gr lead TC and blue dot has been a fine combination for it. Haven’t hunted with it as I prefer my revolvers but i know it would do just fine. A good XTP loaded max Longshot would work just fine for most game if you didn’t want to cast. Otherwise look at the 200gr selection

Boolit Buddy
    I've only shot commercial lead bullets (in revolver) can't complain.

Boolit Master

I've loaded 10MM with the Lee 175gr. TC over Blue Dot. Not close to my data, but they were not max. They were warm and the cases sizzled when they hit the damp ground. I remember they were accurate and did not lead. I sized to .401 and lubed with my home made beeswax/moly lube tumbled in Lee Alox. A fun round with cast reloads.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

A NOE 403-200-WFN pushed by 800-X to max is my preferred load. I’m not one for shooting at max and I don’t like a lot of in general. But if I’m going to load 10mm it will be loaded to it’s potential. I find this load out of a G20SF is very manageable and allows for quick follow up shots. It’s happens to be my bear repellant setup.

Boolit Man

I am pushing the NOE 403-200 from an XDM 10 with 800X, Blue Dot or AA#7. I use the GC version. My mould is the HP kind. I mostly use harder FN or softer shallow HP. Both weigh close to the same. My Blue Dot load gives very consistent velocities, SD in the single digits, and shoots better than I do most of the time. I am quite pleased with the XDM, and have quit shooting my G20 entirely because of it. The shallow HP in that bullet cast from 50/50 COWW/SOWW expands immediately and is murder on marmots/rock chucks.
    I think you'll be pleased with the XDM and properly fit cast in it. Don't feel like you need 220 gr bullets.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I never did either Floyd!! IMHO the 180 is a great balance unless serious penetration is needed and if it REALLY is a bigger caliber is better. BUT 200 WFN shoot so darn well!!

My buddy bought some GT bullets and sent them to Me to powder coat for him. The "deal" was keep 25% for me! I was impressed with the quality and looking at there selection. I saw hardnesses a d diameters and most important to me... AS CAST was offered!!! I bought 250 of the good lookin 220 HP. They shot REALLY well and before I ran out we tested them in water and wet news print. WOAH I WAS IMPRESSED!!! I ordered 500 more. Ill need more before the end of the year!!! I thought about a mold... But the costs are reasonable so I just buy this one.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I have only loaded but loaded for 2 friends using brass I picked up or was given. One guy was a reloader the other not. The reloaded was asked what he wanted and his request was way under book loads, so the other guy got the same. Both shot and gave good reports. I don’t normally load for others for obvious reasons.

I have considered getting a Glock in 45 ACP, and a drop in barrel for 10 mm. The cartridge has quite the potential. I’ve viewed hunts where a 10 mm was used, one was an Elk was drt from a65 yard shot, can’t argue with that.

Ted Nugent has his own line of ammo made by Double Tap, so he could get ‘his specs’ which was 180 grains @ 1250 fps. He likes the Glock in 10 mm, I like the performance of the round I shoot 41 mag and 38-40 WCF, and run more weight at the same velocities. I might just get a 400 CorBon barrel for the 1911 and shoot similar velocities. Naw, I’ll just get the Glock and the barrel, my Wife likes Glocks and recoil
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!